Sponsored

Trading my 2016 Z06 for a new 2018 GT350??

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I love my GT350, but the most fun on the street for blasts up to 60-80 was my MX-5 RFGT. You can absolutely drive the cajones off it at sane speeds and it will never betray you. I told my brother it's the experience older guys want when they buy a Corvette, but never get because the Corvettes are so powerful now they can't be utilized very well on the street. Not a cool 500hp car, but an incredible driving experience. They new '19s are even getting into speedy range with the HP bump.
Are you talking about 181 HP as being speedy? Seriously?

That never betray you thing - I think that's what I call boring. The same issue I've had with the Porsches I've driven. I'm a little worried the mid engine 'vette will have the same issue... too hooked up and no danger of getting sideways on the street if you push the throttle down.

I do think a small light car can be a lot of fun, and I would be interested in a MX-5 if it made ~300 hp. I don't think it would be difficult for Mazda to do.
Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I love my GT350, but the most fun on the street for blasts up to 60-80 was my MX-5 RFGT. You can absolutely drive the cajones off it at sane speeds and it will never betray you. I told my brother it's the experience older guys want when they buy a Corvette, but never get because the Corvettes are so powerful now they can't be utilized very well on the street. Not a cool 500hp car, but an incredible driving experience. They new '19s are even getting into speedy range with the HP bump.
I've found very few in the Mustang world recognize how much fun Miatas are! I remember being at Raptor Assault and there was a convo about what the most fun car to drive on the street was. I answered Miata and was legitimately called a pussy. I was pretty shocked.

Like you said, Miatas can be driven everywhere at any time with the pedal on the floor. And you get an open top experience. Combine both of those with a nice scenic mountain road and it is hard to beat. At least for the price range. Loved that little car.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Are you talking about 181 HP as being speedy? Seriously?

That never betray you thing - I think that's what I call boring. The same issue I've had with the Porsches I've driven. I'm a little worried the mid engine 'vette will have the same issue... too hooked up and no danger of getting sideways on the street if you push the throttle down.

I do think a small light car can be a lot of fun, and I would be interested in a MX-5 if it made ~300 hp. I don't think it would be difficult for Mazda to do.
The Flyin' Miata people could help with that, but with 181hp and it only weighs 2339 lbs. That is a little fast.

https://www.flyinmiata.com/miata-performance-parts/nd/engine/turbo-and-superchargers.html

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
I've found very few in the Mustang world recognize how much fun Miatas are! I remember being at Raptor Assault and there was a convo about what the most fun car to drive on the street was. I answered Miata and was legitimately called a pussy. I was pretty shocked.

Like you said, Miatas can be driven everywhere at any time with the pedal on the floor. And you get an open top experience. Combine both of those with a nice scenic mountain road and it is hard to beat. At least for the price range. Loved that little car.
If we are only talking about curves and taking them fast, I had a 1980 Scirocco 5 speed with 74hp. But I upgraded the suspension (Struts) with Bilsteins one level from full race. You could not even push the front end down. It only weighed 1950 lbs and could beat most cars on any curve. Then added Pirelli P6's size 205's up from 175's. That was one fun car.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT

I agree 100%. Also your experience with people calling you a pussy for liking a Miata. Typically highway roll racers from my experience at least. Really unfortunate, as some as of the most fun I've had in a vehicle have been in a Miata.

Plus, beat on it all day and they rarely have any problems.

Sponsored

1814GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 1971 GMC - 1988 GT - 1989 GT Pro Street - 1991 Vert - 1986 Coupe - 1987 Saleen 47
So.. Did you make the trade?

regular6g

Threads
Reaction score
I'd test drive one before jumping into the GT350. You are going from a car that weighs less, has a lot more power/performance and costs twice as much (better build quality). It's hard to see how you would walk away without being disppointed if you like the performace of the Z (and the open roof aspect).

The GT350 is an awesome car and a ot of fun, but they really are two very different animals.
Yeah I completely agree with everything except the build quality comment, I'm a vehicle appraiser and spend a lot of time in and out of vehicles specially late model. Definitely not trading down in quality to the Mustang I would say equal if not better

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Yeah I completely agree with everything except the build quality comment, I'm a vehicle appraiser and spend a lot of time in and out of vehicles specially late model. Definitely not trading down in quality to the Mustang I would say equal if not better
Respectfully disagree...Paint (quality and finish), body panel gaps (front / rear bumper) and rattles in the GT350 are far worse than any C7 Z06 I've ever been in / driven. The GT350 is a $20k rental car in comparison.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Respectfully disagree...Paint (quality and finish), body panel gaps (front / rear bumper) and rattles in the GT350 are far worse than any C7 Z06 I've ever been in / driven. The GT350 is a $20k rental car in comparison.
You should spend a little time in the Corvette Forums. Problems with chipping, panels rubbing and fitment issues, leaky roofs, convertible top hydraulic leaks and fitment issues, etc. They ain't perfect. And they ain't perfect mechanically either. Far from it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
You should spend a little time in the Corvette Forums. Problems with chipping, panels rubbing and fitment issues, leaky roofs, convertible top hydralic leaks and fitment issues, etc. They ain't perfect. And they ain't perfect mechanically either. Far from it.
I'm on the CF, same screen name (have owned numerous Vettes but I'm not even a C7 fan). I'm well aware of the issues (limp mode, etc), but no way the GT350 has better build quality. It's easily the worst build quality of anything I've purchased in the last 5 years. Love the car, but the build quality is bad...

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I'm on the CF, same screen name (have owned numerous Vettes but I'm not even a C7 fan). I'm well aware of the issues (limp mode, etc), but no way the GT350 has better build quality. It's easily the worst build quality of anything I've purchased in the last 5 years. Love the car, but the build quality is bad...
Well I guess I have to disagree. I've had a few Mustangs myself and currently a Z51 next to the R. My Boss was damn near perfect. My GT500 as well. My R needed paint correction but that was on the dealership bozos in their "detail" before delivery. A week after owning the Z51 I drove it in the dealership body shop and asked if they could better line up the drivers rear quarter with the rear fascia line. They said no, they're all like that...

As a matter of fact, I'd have to say the Hellcat was by far the worst build quality of anything I've owned. Misaligned everything. Rattle trap with 707 HP. Paint bubbles and specs of dirt or slag or something under the paint. Low quality with a beastly motor and A8 trans.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
gt350....slowest 500+ horsepower car I've ever owned or driven...i had a 2015 z51 with a 76mm turbo before the gt350 ...i couldn't wait to sell the gt350
When I went from my GT500 to my 350, my immediate thought was what did I do. Then I learned how to drive it and never looked back. Nothing slow about the 350. On track, passed plenty of Z0 cars and Porsche GT3s ect which means nothing. Depending on the track, horsepower may or may not be king but, the driver is. Never owned a Vette but I would definitely drive the 350 before you decide to make the change.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
Well I guess I have to disagree. I've had a few Mustangs myself and currently a Z51 next to the R. My Boss was damn near perfect. My GT500 as well. My R needed paint correction but that was on the dealership bozos in their "detail" before delivery. A week after owning the Z51 I drove it in the dealership body shop and asked if they could better line up the drivers rear quarter with the rear fascia line. They said no, they're all like that...

As a matter of fact, I'd have to say the Hellcat was by far the worst build quality of anything I've owned. Misaligned everything. Rattle trap with 707 HP. Paint bubbles and specs of dirt or slag or something under the paint. Low quality with a beastly motor and A8 trans.
Odd, since my Sublime HC has been near flawless in 38k miles and I beat the crap out of it daily. The paint and fit/ finish are really good as well as being bulletproof mechanically. The passenger door alignment and hood were a bit off from factory, but was able to adjust easily. YMMV

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Odd, since my Sublime HC has been near flawless in 38k miles and I beat the crap out of it daily. The paint and fit/ finish are really good as well as being bulletproof mechanically. The passenger door alignment and hood were a bit off from factory, but was able to adjust easily. YMMV
Lol. All you had to do was get two of the 5 body panels lined up....from the factory. Ah good deal anyway. Keep your crank pulley tight and can you keep that SC’r bearing noise down. Trying to watch a movie here. Later.
Sponsored