Sponsored

SCT tuners ... BDX vs X4

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
2017 GT...

I need a rundown on what the differences are between these models. Both are at the same price point to an extent, and both are Wifi capable. Both being made by the same company, I can not find anything comparing the two. SCT doesn't really even compare them. I know there have to be differences that will matter with end use.

I believe both are capable of the end user modifying certain parameters, but I'm curious if both basically let you adjust the same things. Is there a difference in the data logging ability between the two? ... Number of parameters logged limit, time/size of log limit, etc...

There is no definite description of the hardware that you are buying, and they seem so similar. It can't be the same hardware in two different plastic shells though. I feel there is a trade off choosing one vs the other. I just can't seem to find that info. The only difference I find is the aftermarket tuning support vendor choices. Is that all there is to it?
Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
2017 GT...

I need a rundown on what the differences are between these models. Both are at the same price point to an extent, and both are Wifi capable. Both being made by the same company, I can not find anything comparing the two. SCT doesn't really even compare them. I know there have to be differences that will matter with end use.

I believe both are capable of the end user modifying certain parameters, but I'm curious if both basically let you adjust the same things. Is there a difference in the data logging ability between the two? ... Number of parameters logged limit, time/size of log limit, etc...

There is no definite description of the hardware that you are buying, and they seem so similar. It can't be the same hardware in two different plastic shells though. I feel there is a trade off choosing one vs the other. I just can't seem to find that info. The only difference I find is the aftermarket tuning support vendor choices. Is that all there is to it?

As far as screen / Hardware they are virtually the same. Just a different package.

The BDX can have your tuner load the tunes to the cloud. I doubt any tuners actually do this and just send you the tune through the email like its always been.
The X4 you get your tunes through email and then load them on the device
Winner = tie (until this feature becomes popular it's useless)

Both tuners can update themselves over WIFI.

The BDX can only tune 1 vehicle then you have to pay to unlock it to tune another,
The X4 can tune 5 vehicles but only 1 at a time, it must be unmarried before tuning another
winner =X4

The BDX may look better in all the pictures but I have held both and in the hand the X4 feels better. the BDX is kind of "blocky" to hold on to.
winner (personal preference) = X4

BDX OBD connector is flat and has a huge end
X4 is rounded and has a smaller 90 degree end
winner = X4

Each device is basically the same as functionality it's mainly the aesthetics between the two that are different and the BDX has cloud tune option.

So really its up to you which device you like better in the looks and feels department.

Fleco17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josr
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt
I've used the x4 before and repurchased another one. When I purchased mine from Steeda, i was informed that the Bdx was still pretty new and had few issues with connecting. The bugs may have been worked out by now. I went with what I used before and dont regret it.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I returned a BDX in favor of an X4, because it did not have the crank relearn function. Haven't looked back.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I returned a BDX in favor of an X4, because it did not have the crank relearn function. Haven't looked back.
IIRC the BDX now includes the crank relearn function

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
it really is a toss up if those are your options. the ngauge is 10 times easier to load tunes / datalog on though

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
IIRC the BDX now includes the crank relearn function
Correct BDX has crank relearn under special functions along with KAM reset. While making changes with Shaun @ AED on some of my tune revisions have had to utilize these. Works fine.

Ramn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6, 2007 Ninja ZX-6R
Just purchased an X4 and received the shipping notification not even 5 minutes after. Very excited.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Correct BDX has crank relearn under special functions along with KAM reset. While making changes with Shaun @ AED on some of my tune revisions have had to utilize these. Works fine.
Good to know they added it. I can't imagine why Crank Relearn was left out to begin with unless the one i got my hands on was an early version or something.
Sponsored