Sponsored

October 2018 Mustang Sales

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a feel for GM keeping or axing the Camaro. I suspect that Camaro is not a profit center for GM.
C5G rolled out May 2009. C6G rolled out Winter '15/'16. Come May '19 the Camaro bring-back is ten years old. GM tooled two plants for a decade of production. Since the top seller C5G sales years there is a downward curve on Camaro sales.. Ford tooled Flat Rock for 10 years of S197. C5G led sales for the second half of S197, but S197 sales were strong at 92% of C5G. That is a success for the live axle S197 tooling. Probably the S550 Flat Rock retool was more efficient than pouring new concrete on virgin ground. S550 delivered winning sales for Mustang and I suspect has paid off the tooling. Muscle/Pony car sales are depressed right now. Ford can carry Mustang and realize a marginal profit. Camaro is a red ink stain on the GM books. Only corporate pride in the badge will save Camaro.
In the last year of S197 production it out sold the c5g and as far as corporate pride goes there is none only high profits and high stock prices mean anything.

Last edited:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I heard today that GM is planning to lay off ~15,000 North American workers and cut some cars out of their lineup.
If auto companies are going to make massive layoffs in the US the government needs to remove all there tax breaks and levy heavy import taxes on all car they import into the US.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
GM is just being greedy the economy has never been better MAGA
I agree the economy is good, but if you are making something no one wants a good economy doesn't help you. It's interesting that GM is following Ford's lead in reducing the numbers of cars they are making. I can definitely see that GM sells a lot of pickups and SUVs and they are selling for huge dollars.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I agree the economy is good, but if you are making something no one wants a good economy doesn't help you. It's interesting that GM is following Ford's lead in reducing the numbers of cars they are making. I can definitely see that GM sells a lot of pickups and SUVs and they are selling for huge dollars.
Of course haha I read that the factories being put on "hold" or whatever term was used as they were not profitable. Same for Ford why make something if you aren't profitable doing it (with some exceptions of course). Not like car sales are just going to magically spike again anytime soon.

Butttttt this is really something coming from the ATP king of the market.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Same old GM. Watch what Ford does. Do the same thing a year or three later.
If there was no Ford... GM would not know what to build.
The USA would be doomed to Aztecs, Chevy IIs, Corsicas, HRs, SSRs, Olds Toronados, Olds 88 diesels,
Cimarons, GEOs, and 1000 HP Camaros with 125" wb, 22" wheels, 3 cu ft trunk, 1/2" rear seat leg room,
and 15% driver visibility.

Last edited:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Everyone needs to boycott GM products if they get away with closing factories and laying off 15,000 workers then import cars from China it won't stop there. Bloomberg has stated that Ford needs to layoff 25,000 to get there restructuring done correctly. If GM gets away with it then Ford WILL follow suit and FCA won't be far behind then most if not all there cars will come from China.

Sponsored

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Everyone needs to boycott GM products if they get away with closing factories and laying off 15,000 workers then import cars from China it won't stop there. Bloomberg has stated that Ford needs to layoff 25,000 to get there restructuring done correctly. If GM gets away with it then Ford WILL follow suit and FCA won't be far behind then most if not all there cars will come from China.
Is Ford not ahead of GM in model restructuring?
I may have missed it, but I am not aware of any large scale Ford work force reduction.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Is Ford not ahead of GM in model restructuring?
I may have missed it, but I am not aware of any large scale Ford work force reduction.
Ford is but the Stockmarket wants Ford to cut its work force to reduce costs and show bigger profits look how GMs stock went up after they announced cutting 15,000 jobs.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Same old GM. Watch what Ford does. Do the same thing a year or three later.
If there was no Ford... GM would not know what to build.
The USA would be doomed to Aztecs, Chevy IIs, Corsicas, HRs, SSRs, Olds Toronados, Olds 88 diesels,
Cimarons, GEOs, and 1000 HP Camaros with 125" wb, 22" wheels, 3 cu ft trunk, 1/2" rear seat leg room,
and 15% driver visibility.
I somewhat agree, but GM would not be making Camaros if there was no Ford.
Sponsored