Sponsored

temporary tire mobility kit

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
has anybody had to use the temporary tire mobility kit with the 20" wheel option and run into an issue where the screw on end of the compressor hose cannot be screwed on tight enough to get a good seal and not let more air out?
I have used the compressor successfully without this issue on a Toyota that had a flat tire and also tried it on my wifes' Buick Regal sucessfuly. The problem appears to be that the valve stem is not long enough to fully seat against the O ring in the hose connector. The Mustang stem is about 9mm and the Buick is about 10mm.
Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Id call Ford roadside before using that thing, pushing sealant such as that is guaranteed new tire over the possibility of a $20 patch repair. I've read on here peeps finding out that thing doesn't work (broken/defective).

OP
OP
melwff

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
thanks for the response. I'm trying to find out if anybody else has used the compressor either to just add air to a tire or for a flat and run into this issue?

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
thanks for the response. I'm trying to find out if anybody else has used the compressor either to just add air to a tire or for a flat and run into this issue?
I had this problem.
You are supposed to attach a plastic fitting to the hose before using. Yes, it may work on some tires without the attachment.
Turn the unit upside down and use one of the attachments stored in the bottom of the unit. I replaced my compressor before this was pointed out to me. The instructions are very poor.

OP
OP
melwff

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
thanks for explaining that, I saw those additional fittings but as you stated the instructions do not illustrate or mention the use of them.

Sponsored

OP
OP
melwff

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
I checked the plastic fittings. One of them will screw onto the valve stem and connect to the hose but that fitting has no provision to depress the schrader valve. I'm going to try and see what the dealer says tomorrow.

OP
OP
melwff

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
The dealer is also puzzled but confirmed that the valve stem is not long enough to seat fully into the connection on the hose. They have opened up a ticket with Ford for a resolution. Still puzzling why nobody else has had a flat or just wanted to add air and tried to attach the air pump to the tire valve.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
The dealer is also puzzled but confirmed that the valve stem is not long enough to seat fully into the connection on the hose. They have opened up a ticket with Ford for a resolution. Still puzzling why nobody else has had a flat or just wanted to add air and tried to attach the air pump to the tire valve.
I used it multiple times on my old EB when nails came a calling. It worked fine. It wasn't the fasted air up in the world, but it got the job done. I also used it on my wife's explorer 2 years ago, and while it worked, it was for naught as it had a puncture on the inside sidewall. :shrug:

OP
OP
melwff

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
mystery solved. There is supposed to be a rubber "O" ring inside the hose connection. I found one in the plastic adaptors that come with the pump, removed it from the adaptor and inserted it into the hose connection. No more leaks and the tire inflates.

Sponsored

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
I need to fill up my tires, and was planning on using the stock trunk kit. I keep seeing these postings of having issues with using it, and the last thing I want is to end up deflating my tire trying to get this thing working as I have no backup.

I see the above O ring mentioned in previous post off the bike pump adapter, but that doesn't fit inside the hose. Do one of those plastic attachments actually work? Which one?

Is this unit simply just garbage?

OP
OP
melwff

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
You don't use an adapter. The hose screws onto the tire valve stem directly. When you look into the screw on fitting at the end of the hose, do you see an O ring at the bottom of the fitting?

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't use an adapter. The hose screws onto the tire valve stem directly. When you look into the screw on fitting at the end of the hose, do you see an O ring at the bottom of the fitting?
If it's suppose to be a removable O ring, then no I don't appear to have that.

OP
OP
melwff

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Im just stating that is how i got mine to seal. Go to a service station that has air and try yours to see if it fully seals on the valve stem.

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update for anyone checking this thread out in future...

Went to test today at the gas station and didn't seal easily or completely, and was losing PSI doing so. Going to toss this unit away and get a better kit to keep in my trunk that actually works.
Sponsored