Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Thanks, Tob. Means a lot. Have quite a bit more planned with the car, so hoping it'll continue to be a fun ride to share with folks :)

I am using a mix of Adobe's Premier Elements to make adjustments for lighting, color, etc. (if you think the sunglare was bad in the final product of my COTA days, you should have seen it before) and for the longer videos. I then use Race Render to do the data overlay from my AIm device.

Are you doing data gathering? Or just video? Race Render can link together your GoPro videos automatically (it detects the sequence when you load the first video).
No data gathering, just videos. I'll look into those packages.

Thanks for the info.

-T

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
No data gathering, just videos. I'll look into those packages.

Thanks for the info.

-T
You're welcome! Might also want to check out GoPro's software. If you're running a Hero 5 or newer, they can automatically add in overlay data based on the GPS speed. It's actually pretty good. If I wasn't using data overlay, I'd probably use GoPro's software since I can't use iMovie (no Mac for me at the moment).

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I noticed that your passenger side rotor part number ends with BC. That should be on the left driver side.
20181101_134622.jpg

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I noticed that your passenger side rotor part number ends with BC. That should be on the left driver side.
20181101_134622.jpg
Interesting - the box they came in had the RH on the BC and LH on the AC rotor. I triple checked when I was putting them on. I poked around online, but haven't found documentation which made it abundantly clear. Have you been able to find anything?

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I asked benny and he confirmed bc is driver side. I also called my dealer and gave them the stamp number and he also confirmed that bc is driver side.
Screenshot_20181107-094335.png

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I have the bc on the driver side. I am going to call another dealer just to triple check on it.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just called another dealer and they did confirm bc is driver.
Thank you, I appreciate you watchful eye and follow-up :)

Good thing I haven't put my wheels on yet!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I just looked at mine and agree. The holes sweep forward, not aft as in your pic. Hope that makes sense.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
The foolproof method (assuming you can see them), is to check the direction of the internal vanes. They need to spiral outward as the wheel rotates in the forward driving direction. That way they can fling the air away from the center of the wheel, which is the direction the air wants to go anyway due to centrifugal force (or inertia, if you want to be precise). If the vanes are spiraling inward, they will try to pull the air in towards the center of the wheel, but the air will be trying to go outward, so the airflow will be compromised and the brakes won't cool as well.

Of course, the bright red rotors look awesome on those evening COTA photos, so maybe the reverse mounting can be considered a "feature" for the purposes of bad-ass photography.

-T

Mastervic27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, F80 M3, Ariel Atom SRA, AP1 S2K, NA Miata
On another note. Anyone going to COTA Dec. 15th to 16th?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The foolproof method (assuming you can see them), is to check the direction of the internal vanes. They need to spiral outward as the wheel rotates in the forward driving direction. That way they can fling the air away from the center of the wheel, which is the direction the air wants to go anyway due to centrifugal force (or inertia, if you want to be precise). If the vanes are spiraling inward, they will try to pull the air in towards the center of the wheel, but the air will be trying to go outward, so the airflow will be compromised and the brakes won't cool as well.

Of course, the bright red rotors look awesome on those evening COTA photos, so maybe the reverse mounting can be considered a "feature" for the purposes of bad-ass photography.

-T
I've only run them once like this, but I did push them hard at COTA. Surprisingly, I didn't notice any difference. Wonder what it would take to make you feel it?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
On another note. Anyone going to COTA Dec. 15th to 16th?
I'll be there! At least assuming the weather looks okay. I'll be trying new slicks, so not super motivated to play in the rain

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Wonder what it would take to make you feel it?
I don’t think it’s anything you would ever feel, per se. the braking surface of the disc would be no differrnt. Like trackaholic said, it’s all airflow. It would be a matter of temperature regulation. Would probably take the most extreme conditions to get to that point. They won’t cool as well, so the temps would remain elevated. Would you “feel” that? Depends on how good you are, how well the pads handle the heat, etc.