Sponsored

Tickford S550 - 536 hp/466 lb/ft....from a tune!

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
And this is different from other tunes how? Every single tune out there has these issues.
Most experienced tuners work within a factor of safety. They aren't going to push the system to a point where you are really close to the line. They certainly aren't going to run the system so lean they risk detonation.

It's not uncommon these days for a manufacturer to build a new engine and electronically or otherwise limit power output. Then the engine can see revised this and better that for several years of power gains...while in reality all the engineering was done upfront. Look at all the people who actually think the Bullitt makes more power.
While it used to be common for a manufacture to underrate an engine, those days are gone with SAE HP numbers. It would be pretty uncommon for Ford, who knows they are playing a HP number game in marketing, to purposely hold back the engine for any reason other than safety. I have heard tuners discuss how this engine doesn't have much more room on 87oct gas, so basically they are saying Ford has it tuned pretty close to the line on lower octane gas. They generally state decent gains are only made with higher octane or supporting mods. There is no trick hidden within the fuel system. The DI system only allows you to run higher compression, more timing, and leaner burn. It is already being fully utilized at WOT. As for the Bullitt, do you have evidence it isn't making more power? Remember, these power ratings adhere to SAE standards. I haven't seen CFM numbers for the 350 IM, TB, and intake, but geometry alone would lead me to believe it flows better than the 18 GT IM, TB, and intake.
Sponsored

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
We have zero data on this thing. As has already been pointed out, there's a lot you can learn just by doing a baseline and then flashing to the new tune. You could do a pull on the street, a chassis dyno, or a drag strip, and record parameters on the PCM.

For all you know they desensitized the knock control, hosed down the cylinder with risky injection timing, leaned it out and are over heating the cat. Yes that's an issue with any aftermarket tune but this one has a conspicuously high claimed power gain and should get proportionate scrutiny.

Glenno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Mustang Coupe GT, Magnetic, Magnaride, A10. Falcon FGX XR6 Ute.
We will soon have the answers to everyone’s questions as I spoke in length today to John at Tickford about tuning my MY19 when it arrives in a few weeks time to Australia. I mentioned that most are very sceptical about the figures (which are measured off the engine).
To prove their point, they have Australia’s leading motor magazines at their shop this week doing full in-depth reports on this ECU re map tune. The tune is for 98 RON fuel and they support their tune with a 3 year 100,000km Drivetrain warranty.
Let’s wait and see what the motoring magazines have to say?
Tickford Australia for those that don’t know are one of Fords main race teams in the Australian V8 Supercars category.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Most experienced tuners work within a factor of safety. They aren't going to push the system to a point where you are really close to the line. They certainly aren't going to run the system so lean they risk detonation.

While it used to be common for a manufacture to underrate an engine, those days are gone with SAE HP numbers. It would be pretty uncommon for Ford, who knows they are playing a HP number game in marketing, to purposely hold back the engine for any reason other than safety. I have heard tuners discuss how this engine doesn't have much more room on 87oct gas, so basically they are saying Ford has it tuned pretty close to the line on lower octane gas. They generally state decent gains are only made with higher octane or supporting mods. There is no trick hidden within the fuel system. The DI system only allows you to run higher compression, more timing, and leaner burn. It is already being fully utilized at WOT. As for the Bullitt, do you have evidence it isn't making more power? Remember, these power ratings adhere to SAE standards. I haven't seen CFM numbers for the 350 IM, TB, and intake, but geometry alone would lead me to believe it flows better than the 18 GT IM, TB, and intake.
Yes we have seen numbers on the Bullitt mods none are known to make more power. If they did 18+ GT owners would be lining up for easy bolt-on power.

Yes manufactures are still leaving HP on the table. Not too long ago I flash tuned a 2014 NA engine that went from 155 RWHP to 180 RWHP. In a very competitive HP dominated market segment. Whether or not Ford is doing that we dont know.

True, perhaps Tickford is tuning to the ragged edge. We should soon find out. But also true that Tickford is much more than an average tuner...think Shelby or Roush in terms of reputation, experience and factory connections.

Last edited:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Yes we have seen numbers on the Bullitt mods none are known to make more power. If they did 18+ GT owners would be lining up for easy bolt-on power.

Yes manufactures are still leaving HP on the table. Not too long ago I flash tuned an2014 NA engine that went from 155 RWHP to 180 RWHP. In a very competitive HP dominated market segment. Whether or not Ford is doing that we dont know.

True, perhaps Tickford is tuning to the ragged edge. We should soon find out. But also true that Tickford is much more than an average tuner...think Shelby or Roush in terms of reputation, experience and factory connections.
Feel free to post those number on "the Bullitt mods". I haven't seen a back to back dyno anywhere with stock vs GT350IM, TB, and intake on a 2018. As far as I know, only one dyno run has even been posted with a Bullitt car, and that didn't have any results of a regular 2018/2019 as a comparison.
Sure, manufacturers leave some power on the table, but that isn't for reasons of future marketing. They do it for safety. I worked in development in 2 different engine companies, and neither one detuned an engine for market reasons. We would reduce power for specific applications, just to allow safer operation for longer duration. The best Mustang tuners aren't risking safety to make more power, only adjusting the maps to optimize for 91/93/E85.

Sponsored

MX Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From point "A" to point "B"
We will soon have the answers to everyone’s questions as I spoke in length today to John at Tickford about tuning my MY19 when it arrives in a few weeks time to Australia. I mentioned that most are very sceptical about the figures (which are measured off the engine).
To prove their point, they have Australia’s leading motor magazines at their shop this week doing full in-depth reports on this ECU re map tune. The tune is for 98 RON fuel and they support their tune with a 3 year 100,000km Drivetrain warranty.
Let’s wait and see what the motoring magazines have to say?
Tickford Australia for those that don’t know are one of Fords main race teams in the Australian V8 Supercars category.
So there's everyone's answer.. Crank HP, not wheel HP

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
Usually when they say "Crank HP" it's some calculated number from a chassis dyno with assumption of parasitic loss. I HIGHLY doubt they got this engine to run on an engine dyno, unless they got a special engine dyno calibration directly from Ford. You either have to trick the engine into thinking it's still on the vehicle (even when it's on a dyno) or you need to know everything to turn off to make it not go into torque management or some other failsafe state. That's either a lot of trial and error or inside information. It's not impossible by any means, but unlikely for such a new engine.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I HIGHLY doubt they got this engine to run on an engine dyno, unless they got a special engine dyno calibration directly from Ford.....That's either a lot of trial and error or inside information...
Its a professional race and engineering shop.. I have ZERO doubt they can get the engine on an engine dyno

Plus, that whole partnership with Ford Australia and Ford Performance thing...

http://performance.ford.com/series/...4/ford-performance-launches-in-australia.html

MexicanBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Tickford used to hand build engines way back when for HiPo versions of our locally made Falcon

They aren’t a tuning shop with a dynojet talking smack on Facebook

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Feel free to post those number on "the Bullitt mods". I haven't seen a back to back dyno anywhere with stock vs GT350IM, TB, and intake on a 2018. As far as I know, only one dyno run has even been posted with a Bullitt car, and that didn't have any results of a regular 2018/2019 as a comparison.
Sure, manufacturers leave some power on the table, but that isn't for reasons of future marketing. They do it for safety. I worked in development in 2 different engine companies, and neither one detuned an engine for market reasons. We would reduce power for specific applications, just to allow safer operation for longer duration. The best Mustang tuners aren't risking safety to make more power, only adjusting the maps to optimize for 91/93/E85.
They do it for a variety of reasons. The ones you mentioned, marketing, goverment regulations such as EPA and HP/Licensing limits in some countries, future proofing, and more. In regards to the brand new Port/DI system its reasonable to consider they've built in a larger than normal safety margin for the sake of caution with a new technology.

The back-to-back multiple IM test was done recently, should not have trouble finding it here or it's all over social media.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The back-to-back multiple IM test was done recently, should not have trouble finding it here or it's all over social media.
The only testing I saw was of a comparison test on a Gen 2 Coyote. Aside from being a very different engine, it was only looking at intake manifolds. The Bullitt also has a GT350 TB and CAI. I am not saying apples to apples testing doesn't exist, only that I haven't seen it.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Some history in the name of science and shit...
15-17 Mustang GT in produces 306kw in Australia (less than the US car becasue of the RHD headers).
Tickford claim 360kw for this model once they install longtubes, full 3” exhaust, CAI and tune.
54kw gain according to them. Call it 70hp.
Somehow, when the car is taken off the dyno and all the torque management is back in play, the car traps 2km/h (1mph) faster than a stocker.
I’ll allow you guys to do the math.
Results are from Motor Magazine. All cars were tested on the same day, same location.
Do we STILL believe the hype surrounding the 18?
E8AF1C12-2781-45CF-8E95-220A86ADC7AE.jpeg

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Tickford used to hand build engines way back when for HiPo versions of our locally made Falcon

They aren’t a tuning shop with a dynojet talking smack on Facebook
We shouldn't blindly accept their claims, just because they're a big shop. They seem to be relying on reputation, charging ridiculous money and not backing up claims, knowing that they'll get many customers buying blind. More power to them if it works, but for the informed buyers we can't just accept their claim without any proof.

As @Burkey said above, history shows their 15-17 power pack didn't live up to claims. We can see the proven results of the US tuners on the 18-19s, and see that this tune-only power claim is so far removed from those results. If they can prove it, that's great, but if they can't then as consumers I think we need to keep the vendors honest.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
If you're reducing restriction to make more power, that's one thing. If you're beating the crap out of the stock hardware to make the power then what is that doing for the owner of the vehicle?
How is keeping it under 7500 and not lean considered beating the “crap” out of it?
Just curious
Sponsored