Sponsored

Mustang Honeymoon is over...

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
I think the time has come to move on from the Mustang. I've been sitting on the fence about this a lot over the last couple weeks. There are a variety of reasons I want to move on; here are the cons and pros of the Mustang:

Cons:
-Build quality is poor, it's turning into a rattle trap like my old Cobalt SS and no amount of felt, dynamat, new clips and securing anything seems to be fixing it. I've had EVERY panel out and tried to pad and isolate every one. It's a losing battle by the day.
- Beyond the issues about, build quality extends to other parts of the car. I almost never use the trunk anymore because it rubs the paint off on the seal near the window and where the trunk meets the bumper. Adjusting the latch and bump stops hasn't helped, I've sprayed the inner trunk to clear plastidip to help stop this. I have some kind of pop in the rear end I don't want to fix now (probably minor though). I don't use the A/C much except the hottest days due to Evaporator core failure concerns. There's likely more things I'm forgetting that bug me with this car.
- Power isn't that usable in the city. I find I can only have fun in first gear, then I'm speeding. With the higher HP available higher in the rev range, it's not easily usable in traffic.
- I drive this car all year, even in snowy winter. It gets by, but isn't great even on really good winter tires.
- The transmission really does suck. It's especially bad when cold, but I've never had so many DD issues with a manual in my life (owned 7). The short throw level helped a little, but it's still not great.
- I spend more time concerning myself on the quality of the car rather than enjoying driving it. I'm concerned something expensive will go wrong in the next year or so.
- The leather is so sensitive I feel like I need to baby it all the time.
- I can't stop modding it....lol - but my mods haven't done much negatively to the drivability or quality.
- The novelty has worn off DD this car, it would be more fun as a weekend and track car.
- 3yr/36K warranty is up now. If it breaks, I buy it.

Pros:
- It's paid off in 20 months
- It is fun when you push it
- I'm faster in my Mustang than my buddy in his new Camaro SS, lol
- The interior LOOKS nice
- It's definitely sporty and I like the way it looks
- I still prefer manual over automatic.

So the end game seems to be I want something with better build quality. I don't need all the bells and whistles, but will take them if included. AWD would be really nice to have again since we see 6 months of crap roads a year. I've driven all drivetrain layouts and AWD is a nice one for winter, albeit not necessary.

Much to the dismay of this forum, I think I've shortlisted the Kia Stinger. Why? Power wise, it is as quick or quicker in city driving due to traction limitations even on warm days. All models in Canada are AWD. It has more features than I need, and hopefully the HK 15 speaker stereo is good enough that I don't need to rip panels off and change the stereo! To top it off, will be quicker than the Mustang for less money with simple mods, the only next step I'd have with mine is a more aggressive tune and intake manifold, etc - gets costly. What do I lose? Manual transmission, but there are some days in stop and go traffic that I don't enjoy manual. I lose the 2 door profile, but I do like the looks of the Stinger, personally. I lose the V8 soundtrack, but I do like the way the 3.3T sounds with exhaust, reminiscent of the Nissan VQ and Toyota V6s, plus the turbo noises sound cool with open intakes.

Above all else, I have the expectation that since Kia is trying to use the Stinger as a means to "upscale" the brand, I expect that I can go in with every creak and rattle and expect it to be fixed. Further to that end, I owned a Kia Sportage for 3-1/2 years and it was pretty well built, I had very few unpleasant noises, much less than the Mustang. The family has owned many Hyundais also with few to no issues, including interior build.

For those who want to ask, I did explore "premium" options such as Audi, BMW, etc. Where the Stinger comes up expensive in the USA - a "slight" value proposition, an equally optioned car in Canada with the same performance comes up much higher. Our MSRP in Canada is similar to a fully optioned USA model - not considering our terrible exchange, which makes the Stinger more of a bargain.

TL;DR: Mustang has become a rattle trap, questionable reliability with little warranty coverage left, and less enjoyable to own and drive. Kia Stinger is the best value proposition I can find, with 5 year warranty and a seemingly good initial build quality built on a "premium" moniker that I expect Kia to uphold.

Any thoughts? Other than the Kia hate around these boards lol.
Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
i think the biggest con of the stinger is the "KIA" badge on it. if that was any other car company out building that same car, it wouldnt get as much hate. I test drove a friends fully loaded car and liked it. if i needed 4 doors i may look at it.

I do want to say lol, you dont use the AC for fear it may go out lolol, thats like those people that put towels over everything so the next owner can enjoy the interior lol.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Yes. There is definately an issue with Mustang build quality. I think there always was an issue with ALL the "pony" cars of the era, and aguably with ALL American cars at the time.
The problem is, THIS is NOT THAT time. This is now, where a Mustang can cost $50K not 1964 $3500. At $50K, in 2018, none of that is acceptable to the extent it has been dealt with by others on this forum.
That said, with all it's warts, It's a unique vehicle that has many times the character of 97% of the cars on the road today. That's a fact.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
That's a shame man. Still love my stang and the way it looks 3.5 years later. can't see giving up a V8 stickshift performance car for a boring auto 4-door. But I don't drive in a lot of traffic so I do understand your issues. And I think reading on this forum makes people paranoid!
Good luck with your choice.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If it doesn't make you smile every time you drive it, it's probably time.

Not much you're gonna be able to do about many of the rattles, but did you ever change to BG Syncroshift II fluid for the trans? Made a HUGE difference. So does an actual trans-mounted shifter. I've also driven mine year round and have 62k on it. I've been lucky, though, and the rattles/buzzes are extremely minimal.

It's very hard to find something as much fun for the dollar as this car.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Still have a hard time spending over $40,000 for a Kia. That's the hardest part to grasp. The warranty is pretty good though so there's not many worries. I think I would miss the V8 sound and the looks of the Mustang. There's some design cues on the Stinger that look odd. I've seen a GT2 AWD in person. While the blue color was gorgeous, something looked weird about the rear end.

I'd be willing to see what Subaru cooks up for the new STi in 2020 if you're looking for performance sedans. That's one I'd keep an eye on since their EJ is ancient.

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
i think the biggest con of the stinger is the "KIA" badge on it. if that was any other car company out building that same car, it wouldnt get as much hate. I test drove a friends fully loaded car and liked it. if i needed 4 doors i may look at it.

I do want to say lol, you dont use the AC for fear it may go out lolol, thats like those people that put towels over everything so the next owner can enjoy the interior lol.
Kia is trying to break their name into the market the same way Toyota and Lexus did back in the 80's. Because of this, I hope what I get is a well built vehicle that I can be happy with. The nice thing is if it holds up, it makes more sense as a to/from work daily and have something fun on the side down the road. I would have liked to have the Mustang fully paid off, but with the positive equity I currently have, payments won't change, I just end up paying longer...

Also, I guess I didn't mention that there is something to having fresh warranty and piece of mind included with it. I will be back in school part time so it'll be nice having a car I feel I can rely on every day so I can focus on maintaining a 4.0 GPA lol. If it breaks, take it and give me a loaner (our dealers are good for that up here). I feel I'll miss the Mustang, but will be happier with a car that I don't spend most of my DRIVE trying to find out where irritating sounds are coming from.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Kia is trying to break their name into the market the same way Toyota and Lexus did back in the 80's. Because of this, I hope what I get is a well built vehicle that I can be happy with. The nice thing is if it holds up, it makes more sense as a to/from work daily and have something fun on the side down the road. I would have liked to have the Mustang fully paid off, but with the positive equity I currently have, payments won't change, I just end up paying longer...

Also, I guess I didn't mention that there is something to having fresh warranty and piece of mind included with it. I will be back in school part time so it'll be nice having a car I feel I can rely on every day so I can focus on maintaining a 4.0 GPA lol. If it breaks, take it and give me a loaner (our dealers are good for that up here). I feel I'll miss the Mustang, but will be happier with a car that I don't spend most of my DRIVE trying to find out where irritating sounds are coming from.
My parents are big KIA people, my pops is on his 6th my mom on her 3rd, they have loved every one of them. For the money and what they get its really nice. When my grandpa passed away i met up with my parents in SoCal to drive to southern Texas and thought we was taking my dads 2016 Ram 1500 quad cab, but they decided to use my moms new Sportage and with the reclining rear seats and all it was really nice drive. I have no issues about KIA at all, The only problem they have is resale. My dad commutes about 200 miles a day and why he has them just picked up a Forte last year. It was a nice step up from his crap Rio. But he doesnt get crap for resale or trade

jenksdrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Life's too short to read the whole post. Bottom line, if it doesn't do it for you, find a way to get something that does.

When I started this process and got my Mustang GT; I was considering trading out of my 2016 Sequoia and leasing a new Civic. The payment difference would be around $800/mo and I have a DD.

In the end, I got the car I've wanted (a 5.0 Mustang) since I was 17; configured the way I wanted with today's available options, and I am pretty damn happy with it, and it's still cheaper than the Sequoia by around $130/mo; lol, I could still lease the Civic and be close enough to par and then have something to take the brunt of daily driving...but where's the fun in that?

M-F I drive back and forth to work; that's it. Sat/Sun, I might go for a cruise. I also have a 2017 Harley Breakout that is good for cruising; but this may yet replace that HD - just due to I can drive this much more comfortably overall (AC, seats with back support, rain I stay dry...);;;

Anyhow, my post is too long - lol

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
The only problem they have is resale. My dad commutes about 200 miles a day and why he has them just picked up a Forte last year. It was a nice step up from his crap Rio. But he doesnt get crap for resale or trade
I anticipate this, and hope that if the Kia holds up, it will stay long term as a "winter beater" after it's paid off if nothing else....run it into the ground as they say.

Sponsored

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
If you want build quality, AWD, sportiness, and a car that is fun to drive check out the Audi S4 or S5 sportback.

michail71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 401a A10
I don't think Kia has been getting much hate in recent times.

My only complaint on the Stinger GT are some of the fake vent accents but just about every manufacturer does that these days. I wouldn't be surprised if they change that as that's about all the reviewers have had to complain about.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
When I think of Ford, quality isn't the first thing I think of. The name Mustang is the first thing I think of. Ford has built a brand around the F150 and the Mustang. It's almost as if Ford is synonymous with Mustang, that's the legacy the Mustang has. The Mustang has never been a vehicle that people called quality. When I think of quality, I think BMW or Benz. But what the Mustang does offer is cheap thrills in something that looks good. That's the way it has always been. Because you are paying a lower price for fun, Ford had to lower costs somehow. It just so happens that some cars are built better than others. But I don't necessarily call it a flaw. In some cases, I call it character.

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
This is now, where a Mustang can cost $50K not 1964 $3500. At $50K, in 2018, none of that is acceptable to the extent it has been dealt with by others on this forum.
The price of "$50K" has been thrown around often in the quality related threads, but wouldn't it be more accurate to say Mustangs are basically $25,680 MSRP (2018 base EB) cars that realistically start at low $20K's after discount and rebates? How many cars out there put out 310 HP and 350 lb/ft of torque stock for that price range? And the GT obviously has bigger and more powerful engine for additional $10K in MSRP but other than the engine and few minor differences (e.g. slightly bigger brakes, same as EB PP), it's still based on a low $20K's car. How many cars out there can you get for low $30K's new that comes with 460 HP and 420 lb/ft of torque?

Ford is a pro-profit company, so something had to be cut/cheapened to bring that amount of power at that price point. If it'll make you feel better, the Honda CRV (bought new) that we use as a family car went back to the dealer a couple of times to fix random rattle and leather finish issues.

OP
OP
RevvdMedia

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
If you want build quality, AWD, sportiness, and a car that is fun to drive check out the Audi S4 or S5 sportback.
I did, but those are much more money up here. The Stinger maxes out at 50K MSRP, S4 starts at 58,000 and S5 starts at 61,500. Throw on options and you can only go up. To me, the name plate and "perceived" quality improvements weren't worth the extra cost, not to mention I would only have 4 years warranty, not 5. Straight line performance between them is not too far off, but I'd anticipate Audi road manners and handling to be better.
Sponsored