Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters

geddy lee

c/o Solar Federation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
My 17 sounds like this..

My 13 F-150 with 80k miles sounds like this..

Same noise?
As like the others,
This is the exact same noise in my GT 2018 with manual Transmission.

I also agree with the auto- if you drive in normal "D" mode it most likely does not get in the 2.3k area
Sponsored

Last edited:

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
The local dealerships simply pulled another mustang next to mine and said they sounded the same then said "sorry for holding your car for a week".

I've initiated the buy back process. There may or may not be a problem. That's now not what I am primarily concerned with.

Justin Fontaine

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2011 Tundra Limited, 16Mazda CX-5 GT, BMW R1200GS, Husaberg FE 350
Hard to believe what I am reading in this forum as I was about to get a 2018 GT. I've told my salesman ( who had no answers) that I'm going to pass. Between the engine noise/oil consumption, A/C issues and the now famous "shift fork linkage failure" I don't see how anyone can feel good about owning and operating these cars. I've seen buy backs galore, cars at dealers for weeks/months and a lot of shrugged shoulders. I'll bet they won't be making these cars in 5 years.

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
I just posted this in another thread about the ticking noise and I figured it was worth posting in here. This is from the S550 facebook group and a member was asking about the ticking sound and ~2000 RPM rattle. I completely believe this response with regards to the idle tick but I asked about the ~2000 RPM rattle potentially being piston slap and I haven't gotten a response yet.
201850tick.JPG

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I just posted this in another thread about the ticking noise and I figured it was worth posting in here. This is from the S550 facebook group and a member was asking about the ticking sound and ~2000 RPM rattle. I completely believe this response with regards to the idle tick but I asked about the ~2000 RPM rattle potentially being piston slap and I haven't gotten a response yet.
201850tick.JPG
Yeah, that is the tick for sure. Not the rattle.

Sponsored

chrishammondx

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Base MT82
Hard to believe what I am reading in this forum as I was about to get a 2018 GT. I've told my salesman ( who had no answers) that I'm going to pass. Between the engine noise/oil consumption, A/C issues and the now famous "shift fork linkage failure" I don't see how anyone can feel good about owning and operating these cars. I've seen buy backs galore, cars at dealers for weeks/months and a lot of shrugged shoulders. I'll bet they won't be making these cars in 5 years.
Lol. Okay.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
201850tick.JPG
If you mean the "BBQ Tick" when you say idle tick, it's not the same thing.

Slight ticking from the fuel injectors is normal on every fuel injected car ever since they first came out, but the random "BBQ Tick" at idle (which has been around since the Coyote was invented) is not fuel injector tick.

chrishammondx

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
The Ford 6.2 has the same BBQ tick. Here's one of our fleet trucks. 100k plus miles and has never gotten worse or lost power. I'm convinced people are tripping over nothing.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
This thread is becoming useless because it is impossible to tell if posters are claiming they have the BBQ tic, injector noise, 2300 rattle, etc etc.

Sponsored

chrishammondx

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
This thread is becoming useless because it is impossible to tell if posters are claiming they have the BBQ tic, injector noise, 2300 rattle, etc etc.
I agree. Here's the vid of my 18 Coyote on cold start making zero noise. Built in May.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
The Ford 6.2 has the same BBQ tick. Here's one of our fleet trucks. 100k plus miles and has never gotten worse or lost power. I'm convinced people are tripping over nothing.

Not the same as the rattle though.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I hear y a. I haven't seen much on the rattle. But I'm still convinced people are paranoid over nothing.
Eh, I doubt it is piston slap, but I fear it is a pump pressure issue. Hopefully it can be remedied by a cal change.

chrishammondx

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Eh, I doubt it is piston slap, but I fear it is a pump pressure issue. Hopefully it can be remedied by a cal change.
I'll likely get concerned if there is a TSB/Recall. Until then I'll just enjoy my car and assume it's a characteristic of the engine, like I did with every car before it that had threads JUST like this on their forums.
Sponsored