Sponsored

Metallic raspy rattling sound when accelerating hard above 4000k rpm

MustangNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt and 2017 Shelby GT350
Hey Guys I have a 2017 with just about 600 miles on it. Today I heard a strange noise that I never heard before. Now i know of the piston slap but this is not that. The car was fully warmed with a temp of 225 and I was driving for about 45 minutes before first hearing it. I hear it at wide open throttle from about 3500-4000 and on. After about 7000 I cant tell if it's still there because the exhaust sound and resonance is too loud but I think I can faintly still hear it.

It was a hot and humid day today about 88 degrees and I'm wondering if this sound has something to do with the temperature. Pressure and oil levels are all normal. It's a high pitched raspy metallic rattling sound. I tried revving in neutral and didnt hear the sound. Only at wide open throttle at around 3500-4000 rpm and up.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this sound could possibly be. This is the first time hearing this sound and I would say it is also the first time I have driven the car hard with the temperature being this hot outside and only started to hear it when the car was fully warm after driving for 45 minutes.

Any input would be much appreciated as I would prefer not having to go to the dealership as from experience I do not like and trust the way they handle and treat cars (small scratches, grease stains on interior, etc.)

UPDATE: After letting the car cool down for about an hour and a half I took it back out and I couldnt replicate the sound. Mine situation is exactly like Jossyfilms mentioned. My car is also completely stock. Can be heard with both valves open and closed. IT is definitely coming from the outside and not the interior such as the shifter because it was more noticeable with the windows down and I can hear it coming from outside the car. I am very certain is has something to do with the heat levels and when the car is extremely hot. My theory is that somewhere in the exhaust the heat is causing metal to expand and make slight contact with something else and the specific frequency/resonance at the 4k mark is causing the metal to vibrate against the contact area causing the noise. The fact that it only happens under extreme hot conditions when the oil temp is around 225 and outside temp 85-90, this is my only logical explanation.

Now the question is where specifically this might be happening. Im hoping somebody here who has been under the car and has worked with the exhaust system and knows the ins and outs of the layout and design might chime in. I wont be taking it to the dealership because I know they wont care or bother spending time looking into this as the car drives and performs normally. For most technicians it will probably be the first time even working on a gt350 and I know from experience with not only the gt350 but with other cars, the forum community is the most knowledgeable.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I’d wouldn’t be driving aggressively with this type of noise. You think it’s internal to the engine, correct?
Check your oil level first.
Do you think it might sound like something external to the engine such as a loose bracket or shield?
If you don’t trust your dealer, ask here about trusted ones in your area. Remember, you described this as a raspy metallic sound, I wouldn’t take that lightly with this car. I’d get it documented now with Ford. It’s under warranty. Good luck, please keep us posted..

Last edited:

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Not to disagree with Tank, but simply to throw out another perspective...First, noises are about as close to 100% as you can get from being impossible to diagnose on a forum. Sometime video/recordings help, but only if it's something extremely odd that really stands out. Second, with only 600 miles on the car, and the self disclosed fact this is the first time you've gotten on it good, quite possible (and extremely likely) you are not even intimate enough with your car yet to know what she sounds like. And even within a same car, each one is different. You may very very likely just still be learning your gal. Third, I think a lot of posts here lately have people completely paranoid and straight out freaked the f$%& out about this car to the point they're scared to drive them. People overanalyze every single little sound and rattle (I have more that one friend who's put off buying one due to oil consumption and blown engine threads).

Not making a recommendation, but at your mileage and condition, I'd be driving it like I stole it to shake her down and see where it goes...but that's just me.

And you care correct...you would not hear piston slap under WOT.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I have something similar too. I've isolated the passenger side brake dust shield as the culprit by putting my hand on anything I could touch last oil change. Sure enough, 1 bolt was practically half backed out. I took the caliper and rotor off, put aluminum antiseize on the mating surface of spindle and shield and also loctite on the 2 8mm bolts holding it on . I'll be doing the same thing to the drivers side as I hear a much fainter yet similar rattle still, but very intermittent.

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It's not the shifter is it?

They do make an interesting buzz in the higher RPMs.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@Tank ...Thanks bro. And I'm probably the other end of that spectrum, LOL. Hey, together we bring balance to the force, hahahah!

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Ok, I'm going to suggest you check the push pins holding the plastic rockers in place. if you look under the rockers on either side of the car there are large cut out areas for the plastic push pins to sit in that hold the rocker in place. Stick your hand in there and feel if they are loose. If so, push them up to their seat. Yeah, I know this isn't a metal part, but under the higher rpms it sounds like such a rattle that it will drive you crazy. Takes two minutes to check and you don't have to tear anything apart. If they are good, then move on.

Jossyfilms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2018 orange fury gt350
Ive been getting the same problem to after a drive on the freeway I’ll come to a stop and rev it to about 4k and i get this tinish vibration but if I let the car sit for 10 min is goes away and I can’t get it to do it again it’s happened twice already and mines a 2018 with 4k miles on it

Deca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
shifter or try pressing the 'shaker' plastic cover behind the shifter

Sponsored

Jossyfilms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2018 orange fury gt350
It’s coming from outside the cabin sounded close to the firewall in the engine bay

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I have something similar perhaps. Long story short, my 17’ 350R has about 6200 miles on it now and since about 1000 miles it has had a very noticeable rattle, almost like a loose heat shield, coming from the front of the car. It only happens when the car is warm (takes about 10 miles of easy driving), and at 4000 rpm. The sound can be reproduced with the car stationary in neutral as well...doesn’t have to be under load. I’ve had the car into 2 different Ford dealers 5 times for this rattle to try and fix it with no luck so far. Each time I’ve taken the car to the dealer I have been able to reproduce the sound and the technicians hear it and agree it is not normal. Ford has replaced parts of the exhaust system under warranty as well as tightened various brackets they said were loose such as a transmission linkage bracket.

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Sounds like the same thing going on with mine. seems to occur just before and a little after 4K rpm then goes away at higher rpm. gonna check more closely this weekend.

DavidinDurango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
My two experiences with strange rattle noises: 1) new pickup developed a rattle as it warmed up during cold choke operation. Eventually, I crawled under the truck while It sat warming up in the driveway. Carefully listened as I moved around until I was pretty sure it was coming from a heat shield. I took a hammer and banged it good in the center and never heard the noise again! 2) Wife's new pickup (same brand) developed a noise during light throttle cruise. After some listening, I reached over and moved her "parking money" from the shift boot to the center console. Never heard the noise again.

YMMV (your mileage may vary)

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
You haven’t done a resonator delete have ya?
Sponsored