Sponsored

Metallic raspy rattling sound when accelerating hard above 4000k rpm

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
When you go to the dealer maybe mention that there are others with this same issue. Probably won’t help but maybe it’ll get documented by Ford...

Good luck.
I’ve done this a few times already. Also informed Ford North America who is currently looking at the car. Will update with results.
Sponsored

Txclyde1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350#43
I’ve done this a few times already. Also informed Ford North America who is currently looking at the car. Will update with results.
I have a 2015 GT 350 TP.After roughly 1000 miles I began to hear a relatively loud metallic ,kind of clanging, noise.This noise started at 4,000 rpm and continued .There was not anything loose,car ran great.It did it after it warmed up.Took it the dealer I bought it from and they put it on a rack after looking under the hood for the source of the very audible noise.They had one guy in the car and one under it .I was standing in the service department looking through the glass at them.I could defiantly hear it.I saw the tech put a screwdriver up to a part of the back of the engine and the noise went away.He called me over and told the guy to rev it .The noise was there.He took the screwdriver and placed it between the engine plate separating the motor from the clutch housing.The noise stopped.As soon as he took it away it was back.He repeated it several times.The fix ,a new “engine to clutch housing plate......no more noise .This was done over two years ago.Cant say this will fix yours but your story sounded familiar.Sorry for the long story but it was the best way to explain my story in a way that might help you.

OP
OP

MustangNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt and 2017 Shelby GT350
I have a 2015 GT 350 TP.After roughly 1000 miles I began to hear a relatively loud metallic ,kind of clanging, noise.This noise started at 4,000 rpm and continued .There was not anything loose,car ran great.It did it after it warmed up.Took it the dealer I bought it from and they put it on a rack after looking under the hood for the source of the very audible noise.They had one guy in the car and one under it .I was standing in the service department looking through the glass at them.I could defiantly hear it.I saw the tech put a screwdriver up to a part of the back of the engine and the noise went away.He called me over and told the guy to rev it .The noise was there.He took the screwdriver and placed it between the engine plate separating the motor from the clutch housing.The noise stopped.As soon as he took it away it was back.He repeated it several times.The fix ,a new “engine to clutch housing plate......no more noise .This was done over two years ago.Cant say this will fix yours but your story sounded familiar.Sorry for the long story but it was the best way to explain my story in a way that might help you.
I was afraid it was going to be something like this. Did replacing the housing only require the dropping of the transmission or did they have to take out the engine? If it involves taking out the engine I fear I will have to live with the noise. I dont want my engine coming out :frown:

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
I brought this plate up to the service techs at 2 dealerships.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Did you noise go away after 4K or continue?

Mine only happens right around 4K and drops once past it.

Sponsored

Txclyde1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350#43
Seem like it lasted around 1-1500 rpm past 4000.I don’t totally remember.When the plate was replaced it has never reoccured.I have a call in to the service mgr to see what the procedure to remove and replace to plate was.Honestly I think a person could ask their dealer what the procedure is for replacing it .I know it was not engine removal.It was not a big deal and ,as mentioned ,it is just fine now.

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Seem like it lasted around 1-1500 rpm past 4000.
Might be the same thing, but sounds slightly different. I can only speak for mine, but it stops at 4K. And it is a very raspy sound.

But this is definitely something to check off the list through diagnosis.

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Got another update from Ford today. Still no idea what it is. They will be keeping it for another week,

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
Got another update from Ford today. Still no idea what it is. They will be keeping it for another week,
And Ford engineers have actually looked at the car, or has the dealership simply been communicating with them back and forth?? Have you reached out to Ford Performance to see if they can escalate it for you?

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
And Ford engineers have actually looked at the car, or has the dealership simply been communicating with them back and forth?? Have you reached out to Ford Performance to see if they can escalate it for you?
That’s what I requested and that’s what I’ve been told. I’ve had an active case # with Ford for the past month. Definitely the last Ford I buy.

Sponsored

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
That’s what I requested and that’s what I’ve been told. I’ve had an active case # with Ford for the past month. Definitely the last Ford I buy.
That’s what you requested, but what has actually happened?

If you have a case number, have you spoken directly with Ford or the regional rep? I still think a call to FP might help. Did they check the transmission cooler line, as mentioned in the other thread from a few weeks back? https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/transmission-cooler-line-metallic-rattle.105121/

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R

If you have a case number, have you spoken directly with Ford or the regional rep? I still think a call to FP might help. Did they check the transmission cooler line, as mentioned in the other thread from a few weeks back? https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/transmission-cooler-line-metallic-rattle.105121/
I have spoken directly to the ford rep a few times now. They checked the transmission cooler line a few weeks ago. According to the Ford rep, the Ford tech is currently looking at it. Hasn’t found anything yet.

Action

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R

Spoke with the Ford rep again and apparently, the field service tech has not been out to see the car yet. Going through the back-and-forth right now with the dealer and Ford to see if the field service tech can get out there sometime soon. Going to give it another week, marking about 31 total business days that the car has been in the shop before I pull the car from the dealer and go the Lemon Law route.

Reactions: _M_

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Shop foreman rode with me this morning and heard the noise. I'm going to be making an appointment to have them look at it, along with a few other interior issues.

SmalliesRUs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Morning everyone... I am a creeper for now (but I am planning to pick up a used GT350 in the next few months).

I wanted to share this video I found while looking into the car- sorry if this has already been posted but I didn't see it in the thread...

Sponsored