Sponsored

How hard is it REALLY to installed LTH at home?

rbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Mamba
Ive been quoted from many places and I cannot justify paying a shop 350+ just to install headers...

Is it REALLY that difficult of an install? Mind you I am fairly mechanically inclined (10+ years auto tech + some aircraft maintenance) but this is my FIRST Coyote LTH install and I dont want to screw anything up..
Sponsored

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
Ive been quoted from many places and I cannot justify paying a shop 350+ just to install headers...

Is it REALLY that difficult of an install? Mind you I am fairly mechanically inclined (10+ years auto tech + some aircraft maintenance) but this is my FIRST Coyote LTH install and I dont want to screw anything up..
350 is dirt cheap and I would jump all over it...theres nothing about it that's complicated, but everything on the passenger side is hard to reach and most is impossible to see and its just time consuming getting one click on a ratchet on a lot of bolts... theres just no room even if it wasn't your first one i'd think it would be 6 hour job by a pro. I woulda gave 500 or more to have never have touched mine.

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
I have done 3 header installs on S550s. If you can pay someone $350 to do it for you, pay the $350.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
yeah i looked into headers and was quoted 500 for install .. im sure i could do it, but to not deal with the hassle and me cursing a lot id prob pay someone .. and ive been working on my cars and all my buddys cars for over 15 yrs and i just dont want the hassle anymore lol

Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i did mine on jack stands and was basically my first ever header install. watched the videos and took my time and it really wasnt too bad. by yourself kinda sucks but if you have someone to help it would be invaluable. it was fun looking back on it now and im happy that i was able to get it done myself made me feel pretty good however if i had the chance to redo it and to have someone else do it for 350 id prob have them do it. but most places quoted a lot more so i figured save the money and learn something.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I got my headers for “free”, by swapping them for a friend trading his GT in. At the time I didn’t think it was worth it. I was cussing myself for not just buying a new set. Then when I went to install them on my car I’m cussing myself for not paying someone to do it lol. With the videos and how to’s it’s not hard to follow along and do it yourself. But it sucks all around. Make sure you have 13mm and 15mm ratchet wrenches wobble head if possible lol. When these come off I’ll probably give the next guy the same deal I got. Swap them for me and they can have them

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I paid 450 for mine to be installed and felt that was a good price. I did the headers on my 96 Cobra on a lift and swore I would never do that again let alone on jackstands this time.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
If I could find a place to do it for $350, I would have LTH installed right now. The thing holding me back is the thought of having to install myself.

Roush05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Like everyone else has said, I've done one header install on my old 05. Even with a lift, everything is hard to see and hard to get to and I made myself a promise then and there that if I ever did headers again, I'd pay someone else to do them. I may be going with headers soon and I still stand by that.

Edit: Depending on your goals it is easier and cheaper to do a cat delete, although for $350 I'd definitely go with the headers..

Last edited:

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Lol. $350-400 is a steal on coyote headers. Why headers is better question? I’d put the money elsewhere.

gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
I replaced my driver's side manifold with an 11-14 manifold in about an hour, on the floor on jackstands.

Pass side is a bit more difficult due to there being more things in the way, but definitely a one day job if you are half way mechanically inclined.

Once you have the engine supported and motor mounts out of the way, things open up nicely.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
I paid $524.00 to have mine installed. $ well spent!

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced my driver's side manifold with an 11-14 manifold in about an hour, on the floor on jackstands.

Pass side is a bit more difficult due to there being more things in the way, but definitely a one day job if you are half way mechanically inclined.

Once you have the engine supported and motor mounts out of the way, things open up nicely.
Did you remove the starter or leave it?

raycer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The passenger side is a real pain. Did mine on jack stands and it was not pleasant. I can't imagine someone doing it for $350. I sure would not. You need a descent set of tools and a lot of patience . Took me more than 12 hours and I broke the ac line in the process.
Damn car is too loud now.
Sponsored