Sponsored

New Owner - Leather Seat Lower Back Pain Question

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 6'3". The Mustang is the first car I've owned where I can actually use the headrest while driving and see out of both side mirrors and the rear view, without moving my head off the headrest. A friend a bit taller than me got in my car and asked why I sit so close.

I had him try out the position. He said he has since adjusted the seat in his car (FRS) and it's a lot more comfortable overall. I think most people, especially guys sit too far back, but maybe that's just me.
Sponsored

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
It is a manual. I don't think I am moving when stepping on the clutch but I will verify. Thanks.

I keep trying to remember how I sat in the Focus and trying to match that. I daily drove it for 6 years, you'd think I'd be able to remember something like that.
I’m pretty sure it’s that. I had the same issue and adjusted my seat to where, without moving my ass from the seat whatsoever, I could fully compress the clutch. No more uncomfortable lower back feeling.

My friend was complaining about backpain too. I sat in his car (he’s about 3 inches shorter than me) and I even had to slouch hardcore to fully compress the clutch in his car... :doh:

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
I'm 6'3". The Mustang is the first car I've owned where I can actually use the headrest while driving and see out of both side mirrors and the rear view, without moving my head off the headrest. A friend a bit taller than me got in my car and asked why I sit so close.

I had him try out the position. He said he has since adjusted the seat in his car (FRS) and it's a lot more comfortable overall. I think most people, especially guys sit too far back, but maybe that's just me.
I'll second that! I got to go to the Ford racing school in Utah a few weeks ago and my instructor had me sit down, adjust the seat back, distance from the wheel and pedals, and finally the telescope and tilt of the wheel.

He then asked if I was completely comfortable. I said somewhat apprehensively, ".. uhh yeah". He replied that was too bad because the seating position in relation to the controls was nowhere close to where it needed to be. He had me move further forward than I have ever sat, with the seatback a lot more upright. In the end, after spending most of the day in Recaro seats in cars with roll cages and 4-point harnesses I had no back pain whatsoever.

It may not apply to the non-Recaro seats, but then again it might. Here is a video that Recaro has on Youtube for proper seat adjustment:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]xnLKdubxRcI[/MEDIA]"]

Hope it helps and your back pains go away

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Any chance some of you without issue can send me a picture of your seat/steering wheel setup? I know it will vary but I'm just curious of different solutions. Sometimes I feel I am too close, like my head rest should be even with the rear of the driver side window, but I think that may be too far back. I know right now I have a bent knee while pressing the clutch.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
A couple of things:
1. purchase a clutch pedal extension- no matter how tall you are it will help so that you are not pressed too close to the wheel and the clutch is easier to engage.
2. i've been told that when your arms are full extended your wrists should rest on the top of the steering wheel
3. when you turn the wheel your shoulder should not lift off the back of the seat
4. when pressing the clutch in your knee should not full extend and back should stay planted
Last year i looked at a GT350 someone was selling. I asked him why and he said he had pain in his shoulder from using the manual trans (needed shoulder replacement) so was going to an automatic. The guy had purchased it for a retirement gift for himself...
I have always tried to maintain fitness level (I'm 53). these days I joke around with my chiropractor telling him I just want my left leg and right shoulder to stay strong and all will be good. I've waited 30 years to own and drive a mustang-- I want to enjoy the ride as I age....

Sponsored

Charlie Brown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17MY Mustang GT Auto Race Red Custom Pack
Hi I’m from England, UK and I’ve got the leather heated/cooled seats and I have found this Mustang to be one of the most comfortable cars I’ve owned including MB, Range Rovers etc.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
That is unfortunate to hear that gentleman is selling his retirement gift. I was not able to see that video at work but I am home now and I see it is one I have previously watched. I played around with my seat more on the way home from work today. I noticed I had my steering wheel fully extended, which I think made me feel like I needed to sit back further and possibly reach everything beyond what I should be. Before I had the headrest on the last ratchet forward and my head still wasn't resting on it, now I have it at one or two ratchets forward and I am just about on it. I will see how this goes.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
A couple of things:
1. purchase a clutch pedal extension- no matter how tall you are it will help so that you are not pressed too close to the wheel and the clutch is easier to engage.
Some of us have the opposite problem. By the time I get the seat far enough from the pedals for my legs to be comfortable, I'm too far from the steering wheel. The steering wheel could use more in/out adjustment to accommodate people with longer legs. In order to reach the wheel I end up with my legs bent more than I'd like.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
There's one thing that just popped in my mind rip. Some folks on the Corvette forum I'm on have had troubles with the seats in their C7. Several have said it helped them greatly when they took their wallet out of their back pocket. IDK, but it's something easy to try.

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Thanks for the replies everyone. I do have lower back issues to begin with. I've been to ortho doctors before, had an MRI, and have been to PT. There wasn't much evidence of skeletal or disc issue, but more of just a weak lower back. PT seemed to help while I was doing it.

I am still hopeful for just overcoming the adjustment period. I really should look into exercises I can do for my back at home, for just improving overall health, not necessarily just for this Mustang. I think my insurance covers a certain number of PT sessions a year so maybe I will research that more.
Jesus dude, just join a gym already. You don't need PT, you need gym-go.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
There's one thing that just popped in my mind rip. Some folks on the Corvette forum I'm on have had troubles with the seats in their C7. Several have said it helped them greatly when they took there wallets out of their back pocket. IDK, but it's something easy to try.
Thanks, I normally throw my wallet in the door storage area though. It feels like the seat is too low in the rear of it, like I sink down too low. And as someone else mentioned, that the lumbar support seems a little too high. Still haven't found a good position.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Jesus dude, just join a gym already. You don't need PT, you need gym-go.
I will see how many PT sessions my insurance will cover before making a decision to join a gym.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Thanks, I normally throw my wallet in the door storage area though. It feels like the seat is too low in the rear of it, like I sink down too low. And as someone else mentioned, that the lumbar support seems a little too high. Still haven't found a good position.
Not sure what seats you have, but the angle of the seat base is adjustable on mine. If the lumbar is too high, you should probably get a little pillow to sit on. Try it for a while, if you like it, have an upholsterer add cushion to the seat.

Vato

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Saleen White Label
Vehicle Showcase
I've had issues with my stock base GT seats for awhile. I've owned the car for about 10 months. I've been trying out seats at local meets and finally pulled the trigger on a set of Corbeau Trailcats. They look like the Recaro's on a PP but without the aggressive bolstering. I should have them installed this weekend. I hope to have good longterm reviews on them. If not, I'm either getting a daily or trading it in for something more versatile and comfortable.

Memphis-EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Impact Blue Ecoboost
I have been having issues too, actually looking to replace the awful premium seats, they are the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in. Currently looking at some Cobra seats that are 17lbs that a nearby dealer has that have much more shoulder room.

You might also check the headrest positioning, if the headrest is too far forward it could be causing you lean forward/hunch

However for me I think its a combination of a) 7 ruptured disks does not help (unfortunately as far as I am concerned they are inoperable as multiple surgeons have quoted a 1 in 4 chance of total paralyzation), and b the bolstering is just to narrow, squeezes my shoulders forward, they seem to have been constructed with people with narrower shoulders in mind.

Seeing a chiropractor might help. Exercise definitely helps, remember to focus on your core, not only helps with back pain, but it also provides a good base for any heavy lifting.

Gyms are not as expensive as they used to be, a couple gyms around here at least have $10 a month membership plans. Bonus's also include weight loss (better power to weight ratio before becoming hopelessly obsessed with carbon fiber) and more energy.

Good luck figuring it out, don't ignore the pain though, back pain can really drag you down!
Sponsored

Last edited: