Sponsored

How many have now upgraded from a 2015-2017 to a 2018/19?

Dak2Zeke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 428
Went from a 6speed '17 GT with a Whipple, to an '18 GT with a 10speed, both PP cars. I do not miss the supercharger, the '18 feels better in every way. I can almost keep up with my buddies Whippled car!

The 10speed is awesome!!!!
I promise the whipple 17 would destroy the 18 in a straight and the track. I have a lund tune on mine and it's basically the same as my cousins 18 GT PP. whipplemis a whole nother level
Sponsored

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
...When I got my 2016 it was my first RWD sports car and my first Ford. ....
Wait...haven't you been over on SVTP for years? I thought you had a cobra.

Anyway, on topic;

I went from a 2016 GT Premium PP Manual car with Nav, Premier interior, Security and backup assist to a 2018 GT Premium PP Manual with 401a, and the Security package. So nearly an apples to apples swap, minus the few additional interior upgrades and the gauge cluster. The Premier interior in the 16 had soft touch door panels, and the upgraded leather, so the change in the 18 for me was mostly the center console and the nicer steering wheel (plus the heated wheel and digital cluster).

A couple of observations; First, I agree with wireeater on the exhaust. The factory setup on the 16GT was garbage, and the factory exhaust on the 18 is rather pleasant. If I hadn't removed my solo setup from my 16 before I traded it in, I'd have probably kept the stock exhaust on the 18 for a long while. But, I had a setup to swap on, so I swapped it. I kept my stock exhaust this time though.

In general, I feel like the 18GT is just nicer. The panel gaps on my car are better, the interior isn't full of rattles, the steering wheel feels better in your hand, the visibility is improved, the lights are brighter, the drivers window doesn't have a ton of wind noise, the transmission shifts smoother, the clutch actually has an engagement point you can feel in stock form, the drivetrain doesn't clunk, the steering feel is slightly better and overall the car just feels more sorted.

It's also faster. The throttle response feels more linear, there is more torque down low, and the car just pulls harder. The first time I let it wind up after break in I was shocked at how hard it pulled after 4k rpm. It's not that my 16 was slow, but this car just feels much faster.

Some of the upgrade in overall feel could be the tires as wireeater stated, but I know they also tweaked some of the bushings and the shock valving, so I suspect it's more just all the small improvements to the over all package that have added up to a greater whole.

My car hasn't been perfect though, at 500 miles it was already leaking oil and it spent nearly 2 weeks at the dealership getting a new oil pan gasket. I've got about 2k on it now, and the problem hasn't returned, so hopefully that's fixed forever. I've also gotten used to the car and it no longer feels as quick to me as it did after break in, but that probably as a lot to do with taking it so easy for the first few weeks before playing with it.

Did I lose a bunch of money by trading in a 16GT with 17k on the clock? Yup. Do I care? Nope. I daily my car, and I didn't want to risk voiding my warranty to get a car that feels like this one does stock, so I upgraded. Zero regrets. An unexpected bonus was better gas mileage too. I used to average about 21-22 in my 16, and I've been close to 23.5 with the new car so far. The only downside I've found is the DI can be a little loud sometimes under certain throttle conditions, but that's a minor gripe for an otherwise very enjoyable car.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I went from a 15 PP to the base A10 18. My 18 is faster with less mods, daily drivable, better mileage, and the ride is better. I have no regrets at all. I am absolutely in love with my car all over again.

kart3l

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'Mustang Ecoboost PP
Interesting thread. A lot of the folks that went from 16-17 to 18's opted for the 10 speed auto.

92 Couper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP - Competition Orange
I kept my Competition Orange 16 GT Premium PP 6M and bought Orange Fury 18 GT PP Base with the A10.

Best of both worlds. The 16 has a Procharger, drag radials and 700 whp and is the fun car. The 18 has a tune and bolt-ons and is the driver, not to mention that my wife and daughter can drive it if needed. May consolidate down to a single car (18 A10 with a Procharger) in the future, but not going to lose a bunch of money trying to sell in a hurry.
18GT180508 006.jpg
18GT180508 002.jpg
16GT180508 006.jpg
16GT180508 002.jpg

Sponsored

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Lol at the 18+ guys thinking their cars are faster than supercharged 15-17's. 200-300 hp isn't just made up for with the new 10spd auto...

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Lol at the 18+ guys thinking their cars are faster than supercharged 15-17's. 200-300 hp isn't just made up for with the new 10spd auto...
I imagine its just the feel of going from manual to the all new auto plus the car is faster than the stock 15-17 models. Probably to 18 owners no way anything faster..

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Superchargers are cool and all and I would love one, but I think the #1 problem people run into is traction. Sure, you'll be fast if you can hook up the tires, but the 2018 has a nice balance already and the 10 speed is just a refined launch with no traction issues with the Pilot Sport tires.

Probably one of the reasons I'd run a Vortech/Procharger over a Whipple. Everyone I have talked to at car shows always talks about traction non stop and being able to spin the tires in 3rd and 4th gear.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I imagine its just the feel of going from manual to the all new auto plus the car is faster than the stock 15-17 models. Probably to 18 owners no way anything faster..
I always feel like a manual car "feels" faster even when it isn't.

And yea, some of these new 18+ guys remind me of the Terminator guys back in the day.
Superchargers are cool and all and I would love one, but I think the #1 problem people run into is traction. Sure, you'll be fast if you can hook up the tires, but the 2018 has a nice balance already and the 10 speed is just a refined launch with no traction issues with the Pilot Sport tires.

Probably one of the reasons I'd run a Vortech/Procharger over a Whipple. Everyone I have talked to at car shows always talks about traction non stop and being able to spin the tires in 3rd and 4th gear.
I can agree on the traction part. With my street tires there's no way I'd be able to beat even a stock 18 car from a light due to traction issues. However, if I mount up my ET street R's, I can put all 725rwhp down in first gear and dead hook on the street. If we're talking a highway roll it'll be ugly for the 18 car no matter what tires a supercharged 15-17 car has.

Angry50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
i dont think any 18 owners think their car is faster than a boosted coyote if properly done. its more the sensation of being faster. i have seen several roush cars run mid high 11s and if a NA 18 can do that with minimal effort thats pretty good. and when you bring a manual vs an auto into play there is a lot of room for error on the manual side. if people could drive manuals as well as they think they can lol.

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
Just upgraded a 17 to an 18, identically optioned for financial reasons (even identically colored), plus exhaust and rims. Was gonna put 2-3 grand in rims/exhaust, but decided to peep the steeply discounted 18's. Dealer matched loan for value and I got $7500 off sticker.

For anyone interested in a non-PP car, WOW! With no exaggeration and coming from a total lamen:

- Active Exhaust sounds like thunder. "Got Dayum this should be spec'd on EVERY car" was my lasting thought. Now only does it get some serious ass volume, but it is a nicely tuned sound. Highly impressed. My 'ho got a lot of seat-time in the '17 and was always giggling when I would plant it. But for a fit twenty-something thrill-seeker who is used to that power, she had her hand on her heart and her jaw on the floor whenever we blasted through any kind of underpass or tree-overhang, esp windows down. I mean it is just wicked. and normal mode is of a significant volume lol. Quiet mode is very quiet, until about 4 or 5 grand, then it opens up a little. Quiet timer is so money for discretion or morning starts. This option is essential because of both melody and adjustability/functionality. $895 - overall discounts is a steal for such a hell of an exhaust, and all integrated.

- base GT suspension is a noticeable upgrade. Less bobbing and weaving but still comfortable. Feels more flat and surefooted. Still breaking the tires in but hard corners are not needed to realize the changes. Steering is a touch heavier though, I don't care for that.

- Manual trans, oh you dirty betch in the '17 that made some very unpleasant loud noises that are considered "normal operation", no more - be gone! Sounds much much better, no embarrassing low-speed growling lol. Also a bit less notchy, shifts are smoother on this one still brand-new than a 17 well broken-in. Very compliant and forgiving to shift now but still mechanical (not rubbery like a bimmer). Also still a trans that doesn't like being rushed, fwiw.

- POWA ok I am willing to bet the stick cars are exactly the same. Butt dyno wants to say it's quicker because of the mechanical and aural refinements? 7500 redline is such a complement to the active exhaust. Engine still always ready to party but delivery is a little different, cant put a finger on how. Very smooth to rev, wouldnt be shy doing so around luxury cars. Track Apps 0-60 time is 0.3 quicker so far...that is not scientific whatsoever so take it as you wish. I dont consider 0.3 seconds faster, in my humble opinion.

- A little quieter in the cabin? maybe? Interior has a darker shade of premium dash trim with a different brush, but I preferred the 17's brighter trim. Also surprise! Non-digital display gets an upgrade too, a tad cleaner gauges that also have myColor Halos. Sweet. Steering wheel leather is very nice & soft. non-401a cars (no digital-dash) dont get the stitched leather floor console, same hard plastic that never bothered me much before.

- Styling I hated it at first but it grew on me. In person? WOW. very aggressive looking, I def prefer it now. Still retains good proportions even with the more exaggerated shark nose. My friend said it was the fruits of having Aston around. As true or false as that may be, it was very high praise. Also see out the front better, feel like I am less prone to curbing the fronts on tight city turns. Still a mustang, so still not great in that regard.

All of these things combine for a very cohesive and noticable upgrade in operation, riding, and sense of substantial-ness. This is a hell of a lot for a refresh, and I dont even have a lot of the new toys or the PP.

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
I enjoy how people like Dr Grabster constantly complain about anyone saying anything bad about the 18. But then vise versa they like the posts bashing the 15-17? Where are the mods for the inter model bashing?

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Of course someone who just upgraded and lost thousands of dollars on the trade in will tell you they love their car. Would you expect someone to tell you their new 2018 is a steaming pile?

Plus, people(not just on this forum) want to brag about their new ride and give you a justified answer of why they upgraded. We all do it.

Who doesn't like new things? :thumbsup:

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Wait...haven't you been over on SVTP for years? I thought you had a cobra.
:lol:
I've been on SVTP since 2003, only a little after I started driving and nope, never owned a Ford (besides my first vehicle which was an old step bed F150) prior to 2016. I just always lusted over the Cobras but at the time was never in the position to own one. I just became a regular there because it was always one of the best forums for bs'ing.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I must have missed the part about 18 owners being faster than a boosted 15-17, I would even laugh at that. But the facts are, if a bolt-on A10 18 runs low 11's at the 1/4 and a boosted pre 18 runs low 11's, it IS just as fast. Horsepower isn't worth shit if you can't transfer it from your wheels to the ground efficiently... As stated by many, the game changer IMO is the A10. It's extremely efficient at delivering the power which in return gives it a faster feeling sensation of the previous A6/M6.

I took a 3k loss on my trade in. My 2016 Base PP had 31k miles on it when I sold it to the dealer and I still got 25k for it which I thought was fair but they knew I was buying a new car from them. But I also had mod money saved up for my 2016 that I used to cancel that out so not a big deal but regardless of premium paid to own the newest, it has nothing to do with my feelings for the car. The 2018 is just better overall, it wouldn't make sense for Ford to spend money on the refresh and redesign of parts of it wasn't. I wasn't planning on getting one so soon as I wanted to see what issues came out of them but being I got a 48k MSRP car for 38k, it was a no brainer. I also overpaid for my 2016 because at the time it was my first Mustang and didn't know shit about Fords weird option packages. I paid 34k for the 2016 Base PP. Wasn't hosed but I didn't get the best deal because shortly after I found that I could have gotten the same optioned car for around 30k new from other dealers. Then I regretted not having premium option. One thing aftermarket lacks in is interior OEM like upgrades that don't cost an arm n leg. No regrets.
Sponsored