Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Do the 2018 model year cars have a plastic oil pan?
Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
That's all great and dandy but this is what I paid for my brand new 2016. $27,419, under $30k out the door.

That's an insane price for a premium. Wow. BUT, it had 6 miles on it. I would have passed and looked for one that was driven less. ;)

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium / Iconic Silver 10 Speed Auto
Cost Saving ??

Do the 2018 model year cars have a plastic oil pan?
Yes! and I for one do not agree. I am old school and the stamped steel pan and steel drain plug gets it done for me. Where you may scrape or slightly dent the original pan this will not happen with the composite oil pan and don't get me started on the plastic drain plug. Cross threading here we come no matter who changes the oil. (Plastic threads are trash) Anyone who has been repairing or building engines knows the Nylon (Plastic) parts, Timing sprocket teeth, Oil Pump parts, Chain followers, speedometer gears, Do not like the HEATING AND COOLING CYCLES of the oil and what it does to the plastic parts over time making them brittle. That being said most of us will never see this wear. Not trying to be Sour Grapes I just do not like plastic for car parts that need to live.

Sponsored

AlmostFamous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Okay .

You guys who keep sticking to this price thing realize that at the tail end of the 18/19/20/etc forever year production of the Mustang they will be just as discounted as the previous ones, the MSRP gap will close up.
I'm sure the refreshed Mustang will eventually get rebates with dealers giving large discounts, but the days of getting a Mustang GT with an under $30k sale price are over.

At the time I purchased my vehicle, I test drove a Camaro 1SS, negotiated it to $32,9xx, much faster vehicle, more performance.

I also test drove a 2016 Challenger Scat Pack, could have had it for $34k, much faster vehicle as well.

I like the looks of all 3 vehicles, with a slight edge to the Mustang.

I chose the 2016 Mustang GT because even though it didn't have the performance of the two previously mentioned vehicles, I didn't feel they were a better value at a $5,500 and $7,500 premium.

With the 2018, it has the performance to match the Camaro SS and the Scat Pack, but you're paying a premium for it. That's why I'm not butt hurt with the increased performance of the 2018. If it was that much of an issue, I would have purchased another vehicle back in 2016.

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
Well..well...well...that's pretty!! (May I ask where you got your ceramic pro done? The guy I went to here in Columbus closed up shop. Come spring time I need a paint correction done and ceramic pro on my GT. Feel free to PM, if you'd like)

Same, as soon as I saw the 18, I decided that I needed to grab a new/almost new 17 GT while I could get one in GB with low miles. It was hard deciding to sell my 16 V6 in Magnetic, though.
Hey man... I used this guy. He's really up front and knowledgeable!
CarZMedics 513.310.6259. He's in the Lebanon Ohio area. a quick shot down I-71 from Columbus.

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
How you liking that Roush supercharger? Does it feel smooth and reliable? Looks bad ass.
Thanks! Yeah I love it. Its the phase 3 so 727HP. It could be a little smoother, but I wanted to get at least 5k miles on it before I had a custom tune done to it... and I will have one done this spring.

I hear a tune REALLY wakes the Roush SC up. I won't lie, I really wanted a Whipple, but the deal I got was great!

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Yes! and I for one do not agree. I am old school and the stamped steel pan and steel drain plug gets it done for me. Where you may scrape or slightly dent the original pan this will not happen with the composite oil pan and don't get me started on the plastic drain plug. Cross threading here we come no matter who changes the oil. (Plastic threads are trash) Anyone who has been repairing or building engines knows the Nylon (Plastic) parts, Timing sprocket teeth, Oil Pump parts, Chain followers, speedometer gears, Do not like the HEATING AND COOLING CYCLES of the oil and what it does to the plastic parts over time making them brittle. That being said most of us will never see this wear. Not trying to be Sour Grapes I just do not like plastic for car parts that need to live.
I cannot get with that either. I've seen what heat cycles can do between an aluminum block and a composite oil pan. Look no further than the problems Land rover has had with theirs..

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Carbon composites are nothing like nylon parts. There are many problems with metal pans as well. Anyone who off-roads a lot can tell you of risks related to denting the oil pan. I have seen engines toasted from this. Personally, give me a light weight carbon composite. It is stronger than thin steel for impact related stress, which is all I worry about on a Mustang.

Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I cannot get with that either. I've seen what heat cycles can do between an aluminum block and a composite oil pan. Look no further than the problems Land rover has had with theirs..
I would not use JLR as an example of common durability of modern engine component design.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The steel pan and aluminum block have different expansion rates. Steel pans also rust. The steel threads in my '70 Mustang's oil pan were destroyed during an oil change at a Quick Lube place. Ford is not using threads for the oil pan plugs on plastic pans. There's a larger half-turn fastener with an o-ring. Ford has actually thought about this and the design is pretty good IMO.

I think you have some good points, though. Especially in the past there were some parts that were plastic that failed prematurely in engine compartments.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
The steel pan and aluminum block have different expansion rates. Steel pans also rust. The steel threads in my '70 Mustang's oil pan were destroyed during an oil change at a Quick Lube place. Ford is not using threads for the oil pan plugs on plastic pans. There's a larger half-turn fastener with an o-ring. Ford has actually thought about this and the design is pretty good IMO.

I think you have some good points, though. Especially in the past there were some parts that were plastic that failed prematurely in engine compartments.
That crap design on my 17 fusion Sport already leaks, and it was only removed for one oil change so far.

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium / Iconic Silver 10 Speed Auto

Hack, Thanks for throwing me a bone in the comments section. Not intending to start a back and forth....BUT... You appear to be an intelligent guy. Answer this for me. Why in hell would you take a car, especially a 70's Mustang, to a Quick Lube Place.

Last edited:

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
That's an insane price for a premium. Wow. BUT, it had 6 miles on it. I would have passed and looked for one that was driven less. ;)
6 miles and you're complaining?! I had 17 on mine and i had video of it being unloaded from the delivery truck.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.