Sponsored

Learn Manual For This Car?

Nomadic

King of Europe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '19 Mustang GT base 6spd (SOLD),'19 Camaro 1SS A10, '14 VW Jetta SE 1.8
Learn manual for sure. And sitting in bumper to bumper in a manual SUCKS. Don’t to be talked into anything different. If commuting and dealing with a lot of that, get a cheap automatic car. You’ll be way more relaxed.

Manual 5.0 for the rest of the time.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Tpyo101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
Typo, do they rent any manual transmission cars near you? That might be a way to get some experience without buying something you'll hate.
I live in a Hollister, about an hour south of San Jose, it’s rather small. Our ford dealership has about 50 cars, and only 1 Mustang lol. I’ve looked at car rental sites and haven’t been able to find anything but autos for rent :(

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
U can try this :shrug:

turo.com

OP
OP

Tpyo101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6
U can try this :shrug:

turo.com
One of their policies:

Driving a manual transmission car without being expert in the use of clutches and manual transmissions. Lol don’t think I qualify

RyanR3KC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I really love this car, the sound to me is amazing and the looks as well. I've never driven a manual car in my life, my family has always had automatics, and I've been told to basically stay away from them as they are too much of a hassle to drive in traffic.

Is it worth learning how to drive manual, just for this car? The car costs too much to feel like a regret for going manual instead of getting a 5.0 automatic. Thanks.
I've had manuals for many years.

the Tremec transmission in this car is the easiest to shift and drive that I've ever had.

You'll have no problems learning.

Sponsored

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
I really love this car, the sound to me is amazing and the looks as well. I've never driven a manual car in my life, my family has always had automatics, and I've been told to basically stay away from them as they are too much of a hassle to drive in traffic.

Is it worth learning how to drive manual, just for this car? The car costs too much to feel like a regret for going manual instead of getting a 5.0 automatic. Thanks.
Didn't read through all three pages to see if you decided but....

I'd definitely say it is worth it. I learned to drive stick on my 5.0. It was actually really easy to me. Also, my friend with a 5.0 auto gets teased for it all the time and wishes he got a manual.

xDUMPWEEDx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP (Base/Oxford White)
Can't speak for the GT350 in particular, but the GT's MT-82 transmission and the GT in general is extremely easy to drive. It's a light clutch with a large friction zone and a very predictable, linear, throttle. I would imagine the GT350 is pretty similar. If the GT350 is what you want then buy it.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Learn manual for sure. And sitting in bumper to bumper in a manual SUCKS. Don’t to be talked into anything different. If commuting and dealing with a lot of that, get a cheap automatic car. You’ll be way more relaxed.

Manual 5.0 for the rest of the time.
I did NYC and DC traffic for 7yrs with a 5spd Mach1. 0 regrets. Was it easier with an auto? Sure, but At no point did I wish I had an auto.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
If my daughter can learn to drive a manual, then so can you. By no means do I mean this disrespectful to any woman or anyone's daughter. Truly, so don't go there. I say this because this is a true story how she learned to drive a manual transmission at 17 (all three of my kids learned to drive on automatics).

Daughter - Hey dad, lets go get some frozen yogurt. You fly, I'll buy.
Dad - Sure, lets go.
Dad - Um...babe, I've had one or two whiskeys. I don't think I should be driving.
Daughter - Dad - right. Got it. I'll drive and buy then.
Dad - Ok, lets go.

Grab keys, German Shepherd, exit front door only to be Rick Rolled because it then hit us...wife has SUV/Automatic and her brother took the other car....

Dad - bummer babe. No other car but mine. I guess we forgot plans...
Daughter - Yep - bummer. Then we sort of look at each other, giggle, and she says - don't worry - I got this. You can teach me to drive the manual.
Dad - trial by fire, lets go.

No manual driving before, dads two whiskeys, wouldn't drive but can at least explain how mechanics work, we again grab different keys, German Shepherd (she is always up for a drive), buckle up, and she is out of the driveway before I can say a word. We go around the block a couple times, then off to the races. Only stalled it once if truth be told. A bit nervous when people are driving behind her because of the slow starting but she did great in the end.

It was good times. Better half didn't think it was the smartest thing overall but daughter, dad, and dog had a hell of a time. As long as there are not any major hills that you are starting on learning to drive with a calm person I think you will be fine. My wife taught me to drive a stick 30 some odd years ago... If I was buying a 2018/9 Mustang I might consider the new automatic with the PP1/2 package. It wasn't offered in the original PP configuration. Not that I'm up for a auto in a Mustang but I think it would be rather interesting on the track with hands more focus to the steering wheel (if the Auto is actually fast enough).

Anyway - learn. Worth it and you never know when a Zombie or Alien attack may happen and the only car left to get away in is one with a manual. You don't want to be that guy....

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Manual is a must imo when driving a V8 Sports car. My wife is having a hard time learning stick and wants to drive my car in case i need her Jeep so I went and test drove the 18 auto to accommodate her. BORING is all I can say about an automatic Mustang and no way am I doing it! Actually just ordered a MGW Shifter today to solidify my decision to keep my Manual..:)

Sponsored

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
If my daughter can learn to drive a manual, then so can you. By no means do I mean this disrespectful to any woman or anyone's daughter. Truly, so don't go there. I say this because this is a true story how she learned to drive a manual transmission at 17 (all three of my kids learned to drive on automatics).

Daughter - Hey dad, lets go get some frozen yogurt. You fly, I'll buy.
Dad - Sure, lets go.
Dad - Um...babe, I've had one or two whiskeys. I don't think I should be driving.
Daughter - Dad - right. Got it. I'll drive and buy then.
Dad - Ok, lets go.

Grab keys, German Shepherd, exit front door only to be Rick Rolled because it then hit us...wife has SUV/Automatic and her brother took the other car....

Dad - bummer babe. No other car but mine. I guess we forgot plans...
Daughter - Yep - bummer. Then we sort of look at each other, giggle, and she says - don't worry - I got this. You can teach me to drive the manual.
Dad - trial by fire, lets go.

No manual driving before, dads two whiskeys, wouldn't drive but can at least explain how mechanics work, we again grab different keys, German Shepherd (she is always up for a drive), buckle up, and she is out of the driveway before I can say a word. We go around the block a couple times, then off to the races. Only stalled it once if truth be told. A bit nervous when people are driving behind her because of the slow starting but she did great in the end.

It was good times. Better half didn't think it was the smartest thing overall but daughter, dad, and dog had a hell of a time. As long as there are not any major hills that you are starting on learning to drive with a calm person I think you will be fine. My wife taught me to drive a stick 30 some odd years ago... If I was buying a 2018/9 Mustang I might consider the new automatic with the PP1/2 package. It wasn't offered in the original PP configuration. Not that I'm up for a auto in a Mustang but I think it would be rather interesting on the track with hands more focus to the steering wheel (if the Auto is actually fast enough).

Anyway - learn. Worth it and you never know when a Zombie or Alien attack may happen and the only car left to get away in is one with a manual. You don't want to be that guy....
Great story! Your daughter is a gem. Seems like she has a great Dad too. You made me grin!

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Great story! Your daughter is a gem. Seems like she has a great Dad too. You made me grin!
Thank you - kind of you to say. She is great, got it from her mother. She asked when I take the mustang to a event if she could go. I said yes. She may even head down to Button Willow in April with me - will spectate the private event there.

I see the A-10 avatar - pilot? I'm not a pilot but weapons systems / armament prior life - F-15's mostly stationed in Okinawa. Always loved watching the 10's at the range.

Off topic, sorry. Again, learn a manual just because (oh, and the coming Zombie attack!).

SVTinAR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, 2003 Lightning & ERA FE Cobra
With a Steeda clutch spring the GT350 is probably one of the easiest driving manual transmission cars around - at least once the tranny loosens up on those cold mornings a little. It's pretty much right there with manual transmission Japanese cars that are known for light, smooth clutches and light, precise gear shifters. You could probably pick it up quickly and have fun as long as you don't have to do a bunch of bumper to bumper commuting in city traffic.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I would learn manual for the car, real men drive stick!, or know how!

It's ok to learn but it actually stalls quite easily for the amount of power it has.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
With a Steeda clutch spring the GT350 is probably one of the easiest driving manual transmission cars around - at least once the tranny loosens up on those cold mornings a little. It's pretty much right there with manual transmission Japanese cars that are known for light, smooth clutches and light, precise gear shifters. You could probably pick it up quickly and have fun as long as you don't have to do a bunch of bumper to bumper commuting in city traffic.
Oddly while I agree it shifts better when warm. I find when the car is hot it stalls very easily and the clutch engage gets weird.
Sponsored