Sponsored

Anybody trade in a ZL1 for the GT350?

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Like C&D stated: "If the Porsche GT Team built a Mustang, it would be the GT350".

When I drive mine, I sense the feeling would be very similar to a 911. Build quality, perhaps not, but feel, YES.
Sponsored

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
A GT350 feels nothing like a 911. I'm not saying one is better than the other but they are completely different experiences. They share a level of high performance that is very satisfying but that's about it.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I suppose I meant things like the solidity of the chassis, firm & strong brake pedal, direct steering, throttle response, minimal body roll, etc. Granted the variance in weight and weight distribution probably makes them feel very different overall.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
If your looking to go more of a special, fun to drive, I'd do the GT350.
If your looking at fun to drive, crazy power/performance, get the new GT500, it will be a beast, I'm telling you right now. It may not be as fun to drive or as special as the GT350, but it will haul ass in lines and corners. I may be speculating just a little ;)
Also GT500 may not come in a manual transmission, so if you like to row, GT350 is for you. Also hearing GT350 could get a power bump and a DCT option for '19.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I am not as experienced as a track person as others on this board are but I got a chance to lap a new 911 GT3 recently, and although our cars are great, the GT3 is ratched up to like 13 on a scale of 1-10. The balance is unreal, the revability of the engine is amazing and the PDK shifts like a race car. Hands down one of my favorite cars. Of course you are talking a car that is damn near triple the cost of ours and a GT350/R is a testament to the focus that Ford put in this car for the price. Maybe not a 911, but DAMN good for what it is.

Sponsored

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
John Liberman of Motor Trend did say in the Head 2 Head that he felt the R was as good as a GT3. It is in the video on YouTube and Motor Trend on Demand.

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
No doubt the GT3 (2017 or 2018) is faster than the GT350/R - and revs quicker, higher, changes direction faster, etc. But that doesn't change the accuracy of Jim Farley's comment that the two cars are similar in character. They are.

They were both built for basically the same purpose - as opposed to the design points of the 911 Turbo, GT500, Hellcat, etc. It's just that the GT3 meets that design point more successfully than the GT350 - but for about 2-3 times the price.

Mjc1241

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Reese
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I can agree with that. The car is exceptional for the price point and purpose built. Additional power is always nice but all I know is that I have a smile on my face every time that I drive this car. Never getting rid of it.

catdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White/Blue Stripes
Ok sorry to break the party but I had a 2017 ZL1 and 2017 GT350 simultaneously for about 6 months and decided to lighten the car numbers and I decided to keep the GT350...

I also had a 991.1S and now a 991.2S and drove a GT3 before deciding on 991.2..

The GT350 is very very special and raw and has an amazing special feel to it... The ZL1 felt more buttoned down, had TONS more torque and was better put together but felt average... just high limits, but just didn't feel that special connection even though I loved its mean looks in black. At the end of the day, my heart went with the GT350, no intrusive torque management or claustrophobic cabin and all I can tell you is each time you take it to the redline in 1st or 2nd gear and shift, the sounds, feelings, and overall experience cannot be matched by anything, including a GT3.. it's pure and total mayhem with an amazing exhaust and mechanical sounds, a little twitch of the tail and just automotive emotions that are incomparable... didnt get that in the ZL1 which for 99% of the time is faster heck maybe even 100% of the time (I dont care)... and yes the GT3 is a surgical tool much lighter and better handling and very unique in its own right but get the GT350 while you can if you can, it's got the special sauce...

Sponsored

Rated R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE
No doubt the GT3 (2017 or 2018) is faster than the GT350/R - and revs quicker, higher, changes direction faster, etc. But that doesn't change the accuracy of Jim Farley's comment that the two cars are similar in character. They are.

They were both built for basically the same purpose - as opposed to the design points of the 911 Turbo, GT500, Hellcat, etc. It's just that the GT3 meets that design point more successfully than the GT350 - but for about 2-3 times the price.
Imo they're not similar in character, they're similar in their intent. They both rev to over 8K and handle really well with close lap times. Those are the only similarities.

The GT3 is rear engined, 500 lbs lighter with nearly zero flex in that body. As with all 911's they are solid in a way that few other cars exhibit. Porsche oozes quality and precision in its manufacturing at a level that Mustangs just do not approach. GT3's are literally three times the price. The difference in fit/finish and level of materials, how communicative the the GT3 is to the driver etc, the experiences between the two are quite different.

The GT350 is a fantastic car no doubt about it. FPC makes it very unique, but the only people comparing these two cars are the people trying to sell the GT350 like Jim Farley, and potential owners weighing the costs and wondering if a GT3 is worth it. The GT350 has the bang for the buck going for it and has gobs of character, but the experience isn't the same.

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
They say they don't heat soak but with the ones I have run with on track I beg to differ. I will say they don't heat soak much but this car still has 50hp(flywheel) on me and doesn't pull. This was at the end of a 15+ min session btw.

[ame]

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Here’s a good review on the ZL1 1LE, with an interesting conclusion..

Paints his toe nails - TMI. Camaro interior better than the current Mustang interior? Puff puff pass. Mustang feels like a shitbox and sounds like a tin can?Puff puff pass! Fellate the sound clips....did he really just say that? I noticed he was heel/toeing on the street but had yet to mention that the car has the capability to rev-match. In essence he wanted you to see how qualified he is to review this car (he later talked about rev-matching). It is a great feature that you can turn on or off instantly. The Performance Data Recorder is a must have if you track and I pray that the GT500 comes with it as Ford has no plans (at this point anyway) to implement something similar on the GT350.

If he really believes this is too much for the street then I think we already know what his opinion on the next GT500 will be.

Socalrugger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H4111
Paints his toe nails - TMI. Camaro interior better than the current Mustang interior? Puff puff pass. Mustang feels like a shitbox and sounds like a tin can?Puff puff pass! Fellate the sound clips....did he really just say that? I noticed he was heel/toeing on the street but had yet to mention that the car has the capability to rev-match. In essence he wanted you to see how qualified he is to review this car (he later talked about rev-matching). It is a great feature that you can turn on or off instantly. The Performance Data Recorder is a must have if you track and I pray that the GT500 comes with it as Ford has no plans (at this point anyway) to implement something similar on the GT350.

If he really believes this is too much for the street then I think we already know what his opinion on the next GT500 will be.
Interesting video.....basically he's trying not to piss off the Camaro, Hellcat or Shelby owners at the end (then gives the nod to :ford:).....
Sponsored