OP
OP
scharfe

scharfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Saleen Yellow Label Mustang
Your pic of the black hood is showing "buffer trails" not burnt paint. That's from someone who's inexperienced with an orbital buffer. The video is showing how to burn paint with a foam pad. Slightly different also.
It's actually pretty easy to cut through clear coat while wet sanding or to even buff through on the edge of a fender, hood line, spoiler edge, etc.....
Yours looks.....well, like a poor paint job. Not enough base coat or clear. Hard to say why it's mainly on the edges though. Almost as if they wetsanded the base and cut through it before clearing. The clear coat is terrible too! Not enough coverage and sprayed too dry. Just poor workmanship. I'm not sure what to think. To me, it looks like someone cut through while buffing or wet sanding then went....OH SHIT!!! and shot some clear over the bad spot. You can see sanding scratches in you close up pic. Whether Saleen or your dealer did this. Who knows. Someone's giving you a BS story imo.
Haha I clearly don't know what buffing burn is. But it's clearly not what is on my car. I showed up to my dealer when the car was still dirty coming off the open trailer, waited while they washed it, maybe an hour and took it from there. They said they would send it to a local shop to buff, I told them don't bother I want to drive it.

OP
OP
scharfe

scharfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Clear coat burn through.
Thanks TrevorGT

Guessing a super jagged line like this would be impossible to to produce with a buffer then? Not to mention the clear coat would show signs of damage, where here it is next to perfect.

TrevorGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red 2015 GT
Based off of that, I'd say Saleen is full of sh!t. I've read all of this and the links provided. I can't figure out why they won't step up and handle this for you. It wouldn't cost a whole lot to fix this correctly for you. Other than they're broke or have no experienced help. I'd be irate about it. Damn shame.
At some point, I'd get fed up though and let the dealer just re-spray those parts.

TrevorGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red 2015 GT
Thanks TrevorGT

Guessing a super jagged line like this would be impossible to to produce with a buffer then? Not to mention the clear coat would show signs of damage, where here it is next to perfect.

Yeah, I looked at those pics. That's why I was kinda stumped. Some look like burn through and some are just "what the hell is that" looking. That's also why I thought maybe they wet sanded, burned through and then cleared.
All in all, just bad. All bad. Feel sorry for ya

EDIT: This is the pic that looks like sand scratches when zoomed in on bottom corner. Leads me to believe it was burned through either while buffing or wetsanding. They guy went, "ooohh shhh" and then cleared over it anyway

Sponsored

OP
OP
scharfe

scharfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, I looked at those pics. That's why I was kinda stumped. Some look like burn through and some are just "what the hell is that" looking. That's also why I thought maybe they wet sanded, burned through and then cleared.
All in all, just bad. All bad. Feel sorry for ya

EDIT: This is the pic that looks like sand scratches when zoomed in on bottom corner. Leads me to believe it was burned through either while buffing or wetsanding. They guy went, "ooohh shhh" and then cleared over it anyway
Hmm. Wondering if the saleen paint guy knew the burned through and cleared over it anyways. Then later when shown the pictures just said it was buffer burn to cover their ass. They would have been better off to not re cleared it haha.

I took it to 3 separate body shops, all 3 said the same about the spoiler. Looks like they painted it on a table, didn't get paint on the part that was sitting on the table. Then cleared over the unpainted areas after and missed more spots where the spoiler was sitting with the clear coat.

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
I had a Saleen for 18 years. I find this thread troubling and unfortunately more and more common. :(

Sad to say, Saleen has been struggling financially for years and while they are working to resurrect the brand, this is not the way of going about it. Their latest effort is to recreate the heritage of the 80's race team. But, its irrelevant to most new buyers, so they are reaching for straws IMO.

They are bleeding cash, are way behind on paying suppliers as well as delivering cars. I don't see a solution for them, especially when I see that they don't back their products. :frusty:

I feel for the OP ... sorry you're going through this crap, however, your best bet might be the lemon law through Ford. Saleen won't have the funds to back the problems with your car. Good luck bro.

OP
OP
scharfe

scharfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well....things seem to have escalated.

I was contacted by the president of Saleen by Facebook. We have been going back and forth for a while. Recently the president has changed tactics.

Shorty after she removed or hid my post on teamsaleenusa.com. I asked her why she did, it didn't seem very honest.

Shorty after the president threatened to send by boss an email in complaint about me. This is my personal car, it has absolutely nothing to do with my career, this is by far the most unprofessional interaction I have ever had with a higher up in company.

Unfortunately for her, my boss is well informed on this topic and has seen the car in person and seen all forum posts. He is on my side in this situation and doesn't understand where a threat like that has anyplace in this situation or my career.

Second the next day I was contacted again by the President and was told Saleen would warranty my parts only if I removed all my forum posts.What a shady way to do business. If I would have read a forum post like this I would have never bought the car.

I wonder is this is their strategy, delete all the bad posts on their controlled forums and try to blackmail other people on the other forums into removing their negative posts?

Well I'm not a fan of being threatened or bullied, a third party has been contacted and this forum will remain active so hopefully the next guy doesn't drop $60k on a car of unacceptable quality with a company that won't stand behind their own product.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Holy shit! She's trying to Arock you! LOL! (Sorry, you have to be an AR15.com guy to understand) Yea, enough. Lawyer up. Give your boss the heads up and let him light their ass up too.
Soooo...If they show up at Mustang week, want any of us to put in a "good word"?

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Jesus... Soooooo glad I didn't go the Saleen route when I bought my Mustang. Everything I've heard over the past couple years and now this makes me certain I'll never do business with them again. I wonder how many others are out there like you? I can't believe that paint/body work that bad just slips by QC as a one-off. That's employees that have zero care for their product. Hell, I'm pretty sure I could do a better job with some Rustoleum and a clay bar.

Sponsored
OP
OP
scharfe

scharfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soooo...If they show up at Mustang week, want any of us to put in a "good word"?
Haha considered trying to reach out to Steve Saleen but probably wouldn't do me any good. I wonder if the board members know of their new presidents tactics.

SR56

Threads
Reaction score
Website
seanrooney.realtor
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
OP
OP
scharfe

scharfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha I would if I could. I actually looked for these, couldn't find any and they were a bit priceyer. If I could get my money back I think I would go with the new 2.9 whipple kit the steed has and call it a day. I also considered a gt350 with a twin turbo kit, but after contacting a company that offers the kit they said it was kinda a "turd" lol and the 5.0 was more capable.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Lmao, what a joke

edit - From this Presidents business profile:

My expertise is in building brands, licensing, strategic planning, partnerships and team building. My focus is building brand with Quality and finding the right partners to help grow and diversify the brands through licensing, channel marketing and sponsorships. Focus production, sales and marketing on common goals to grow and expand the company/brand. Fixing under performing companies and making them profitable. My expertise transcends Industries, as I have been an executive and leader in Software, Toys and the Automobile Industry.

SPECIALTIES:
Strategic Planning
Customer Service
Franchising
Event Marketing
Partnership Programs
Team Building
Developing and Licensing Brands
Taking Teams and Companies to the next level
Growing Sales, Brand/Customer Loyalty
Fixing under performing companies good companies and realizing their potential
M&A experience at Mattel