Bad Experiences With New 2016 Saleen Yellow Label

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Well... I think I've gotten the attention of the Saleen President Amy she has decided to chime in over here.

http://teamsaleenusa.com/index.php?...-experience-with-saleen-yellow-lable-mustang/

She is now trying to claim that they will not fix some parts do to "wear areas" from buffing.

Fun Fact. The car has never been buffed.

She has been supplied the exact same photos as I have posted here. Do any of the photos look like buffing burn to you? Sure doesn't look like it to me, nore my dealer, nore the 3 body shops I took the car to.

If any of you experts would like to chime it over there at the post teamsaleenusa.com that would greatly appreciated.

But since she decided to question my integrity and try to put it on me, I took some more fun pictures of the saleen deck lid. Many of them show that the deck lid overall is very low quality. I do quality control for a living, I have kept many of my comments to myself about the fit and finish of the car but accuse me of trying to get someone else to pay for my mistake, not acceptable. If I would have damaged the car, I would have just payed to fix it, not fight with someone for 4 months.

This is how big the gouge is now from opening and closing my trunk and the cover hitting my tail lights.

This corner has a popped paint bubble, painted over chip and about in inch of touch up paint.

Next, the deck lid was cracked, then painted over, there are sanding marks most likely in the primer that shows in the paint, along with over half a dozen pea size dimples or gashes that have been painted over.

Next is the fiberglass texture coming through the paint on most the rear deck lid cover. The primer and paint must be very thin. Im a horrible picture taker but this is very noticeable to the human eye throughout the cover.

Wow dude that is terrible i feel for you man! They should make it all right! I would track down steve saleen himself, and show him these things and if he turns his nose up at you, lemon law that sucker and contact a lawyer for your pain and suffering. Because i know i would be!
Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
When it's all said and done and you keep the car I would take all their crap off it which isn't much and be less a reminder. Every time you wash it it'll just piss you off. Getting it mechanically sound would be my main priority at this point. Without legal help, I don't see them making anything right and wouldn't want anything on that car with their name, logo, etc.

Last edited:

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
Wow...after reading this...I will never...ever...EVER, touch anything from Saleen. Terrible. Personally, I would get a lawyer and sue for violation of contract (date of discovery applies here). Yes you accepted the car, but it does not mean you are necessarily bound to it, especially due to the records you have kept. You probably have a chance here.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
This is just astounding. I've never seen such shoddy work, combined with this level of piss poor business practices and customer service. I really hope there's a good ending to this, whether it's getting the car perfectly sorted out, or getting rid of it (at no cost to you).

Personally, I'd consider the latter. I get wanting a turnkey car, a warranty, and heck, I always considered Saleen a premier builder - I guess as others have pointed out, that's no longer the case. I was kind of knocking around the idea of a Saleen white label grill, no longer (my DIY-ish solution will be way better anyway).

If you're into having built car like this, have you looked into Roush? I know our local Ford dealer is a reseller and they always have several, with pretty stout discounts. They look really nicely put together!

Good luck!

kwpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
That is just plain terrible fitment on the rear decklid. Looks like a simple overlay, not a replacement panel for the stock piece. Sticks out way past the lower trim body line on the tail lights.

Paint issues also look very poor and unacceptable.

I would have refused delivery of the vehicle before accepting the keys.
looks like a 5 year old had a run at it with a screw driver. :tsk:

OP
OP
scharfe

scharfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Saleen Yellow Label Mustang
This is just astounding. I've never seen such shoddy work, combined with this level of piss poor business practices and customer service. I really hope there's a good ending to this, whether it's getting the car perfectly sorted out, or getting rid of it (at no cost to you).

Personally, I'd consider the latter. I get wanting a turnkey car, a warranty, and heck, I always considered Saleen a premier builder - I guess as others have pointed out, that's no longer the case. I was kind of knocking around the idea of a Saleen white label grill, no longer (my DIY-ish solution will be way better anyway).

If you're into having built car like this, have you looked into Roush? I know our local Ford dealer is a reseller and they always have several, with pretty stout discounts. They look really nicely put together!

Good luck!
Yep I've definitely considered a Roush just about got one instead or the Saleen. Would have cost me about the same too. I just really wanted the kenne bell haha. But now to change it would cost me probably $10,000 since as soon as you buy a car like this they loose money.

I really like the Roush, my only complaint is that since they make so many the don't hold their value very good. Same with modifications to a mustang gt. My last gt I spend around $10k on modifications and most dealers quoted me the same as an stock mustang gt on trade in.

Buying the Saleen was a calculated move where I thought I would get the most bang for the buck and be able to resell it for a decent price. That's looking like I was a bit off. I really want to just buy a new gt500 but ford is us all wait. Maybe a 2018 Roush rs3 could be on my future.

But manybe this will be my last mustang. I've own one since I'm 16, but I go my first kid on the way and don't feel like getting dicked around by shady companies.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
When did Saleen hire John Hennessey?

OP- Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hopefully you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Looks like Saleen has a team of crackheads assembling their cars. How could you cause that much damage slapping on some cosmetic pieces.

sw686blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red Mustang GT PP
Beautiful car buddy :thumbsup:
I really like the '302' callouts and the rims... 20's I'm assuming?
1" drop too?
Totally agree. Looks good, but man...what a major pain in the ass! Good luck and I hope this all works out to your satisfaction.

Sponsored

Nvr2mucHP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Roush Warrior
+1 with the "Get a Roush" crowd, but admittedly, I'm biased. I will say this, my Roush had 3 minor issues when I took delivery, and Roush quickly worked with me to resolve them. They even went as far as talking directly with a local Ford dealer (non-Roush reseller, in a foreign country no less) to hammer out one of the problems. The fit and finish are spot on. Good luck, and for what it's worth I'll never consider a Saleen in the future after this crazy situation.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Amy B used to be with Mattel......worked in the online collectors club for Hot Wheels. (which had their own issues with product delivery)..then Shelby, then West Coast Customs, now Saleen........interesting pattern of job-hopping.

OP
OP
scharfe

scharfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well..... Had a quite long conversation with another saleen person on facebook of all places haha. Currently I have been told that they will cover the rear deck lid cover and spoiler. But I will believe it when I see it. Still waiting almost 4 months for the rear deck lid cover to show up.

They are still trying to claim they have pictures of the car without issues and still maintain that I caused these problems with "buffing burn" and that I'm am "insulting " them that I am claiming they released a less than quality product.

Well...I took it up myself to go the additional extra mile and had a professional take photos of the issues. To help saleen confirm that this in not "buffing burn" (never buffed it anyways so dont know how they think I could have )

Sorry, these are some of the basically same issues as before, just much better photo quality. I feel like im beating a dead horse with this topic but the saleen person I spoke with maintained that it was not their issue that is was "buffing burn"

Missing paint, light/missing clear coat on spoiler. Main concern with this is the clear coat will begin to flake off after a while.

Missing paint, under clear coat. Clear coat is still intact and smooth, no low spots that would be caused by "buffing burn"

Got pictures taken at multiple angles, clearly shows the clear coat it smooth and intact, but the paint underneath is not.

The spot where the crooked deck lid cover was hitting my tail lights and the painted over crack.

More fiberglass texture and sanding marks

This is what buffer burn normally looks like, I pulled this off of google.
Not even close to the issues I am showing

Also for super super over kill, this shows how to get buffer burn, actually gives a better image but also shows how careless you would have to be to burn all the way into the primer.

[ame]

OP
OP
scharfe

scharfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I had the professional picture man taking pictures I had him take pictures of all the issue that I have found with the car, big and small.

Here is one I would never make a warranty claim on , but just rubs me the wrong way. Do a 2 second inspection and throw the 50 cent parts away that have imperfections, its on the steering wheel, they will see it every single day.

Imperfection dead center of a saleen logo, looks to be a dirty mold but not sure.

Well thats all I got time for tonight, more quality control pictures to come.

TrevorGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red 2015 GT
Your pic of the black hood is showing "buffer trails" not burnt paint. That's from someone who's inexperienced with an orbital buffer. The video is showing how to burn paint with a foam pad. Slightly different also.
It's actually pretty easy to cut through clear coat while wet sanding or to even buff through on the edge of a fender, hood line, spoiler edge, etc.....
Yours looks.....well, like a poor paint job. Not enough base coat or clear. Hard to say why it's mainly on the edges though. Almost as if they wetsanded the base and cut through it before clearing. The clear coat is terrible too! Not enough coverage and sprayed too dry. Just poor workmanship. I'm not sure what to think. To me, it looks like someone cut through while buffing or wet sanding then went....OH SHIT!!! and shot some clear over the bad spot. You can see sanding scratches in you close up pic. Whether Saleen or your dealer did this. Who knows. Someone's giving you a BS story imo.
Sponsored