Sponsored

Complete & detailed cleaning guide

Nightblue3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
I wanted to share with you guys the steps I do for cleaning and detailing my new Mustang, hopefully this could help you in any way. This should be a complete and detailed guide divided into three sections in the cleaning process order, Interior, Exterior and Engine bay.
- feel free to skip what you don’t need.

(Products used linked down below)

Interior

Step 1- Take out the floor mats carefully not to drop and of the dirt inside or on your seat, also care for the plastic pin-like plastic under the mat not to scratch your seat while removing.

Step 2- Vacuum the car seats to suck any dirt (this will help your ventilated seats not to get blocked by dirt), then move to vacuuming the floor. Vacuum the floor mats (or wash with brush if it’s all weather mats and dry them) and put it back in.

Step 3- Use an interior cleaner and spray a bit on a microfiber towel (not directly on the car interior) and wipe off the dashboard and the trims. Buff it off by folding the microfiber towel to the dry side

Step 4- Apply a cleaner and conditioner for your leather seats on a microfiber towel, buff it off with dry side of the towel.

Step 5- Clean the inside of your windows with a window cleaner of your choice and towel (I use newspaper), use circular motion to scrub off all dirt and dust. Then wipe it off with rubber blade and microfiber towel.

Exterior (No bucket method)

(Its highly recommended that the car is in cool temperate and hasn’t been operated for the past 4-5 hours)

Step 1 - Wash the car thoroughly with pressure washer (water only) to remove any dust and dirt.

Step 2 – Clay your car after you have received it from the dealer (or whenever needed) dividing your car into four quarters, clay each quarter at a time using only back and forth motion (don’t use circular motion to avoid scratching your paint with contaminates garbed in the clay bar)

Step 3 - Use foam cannon and proper car shampoo, foam the car and let the shampoo set for 5 minutes. Then, sponge the car starting from the roof going downwards.

Step 4 - Rinse the car starting from the top driving the soap to the windshield, hood and rear window, trunk.

Step 5 - Clean the rims with a noodle washing mitt (only use it for the rims) and brush to clean areas hard to reach

Step 6 - Use a water magnet drying microfiber towel and dry your car. (Best way I found is to lay the towel on the roof and drag it downwards)

Step 7- Open the doors, trunk and hood and dry off the corners and edges from the soap and water that went in.

Step 8- Clean your windows from the outside (same as Step 5 in the interior) plus don't forget the mirrors.

Step 9 - Use your preferred wax, dividing your car into four quarters, wax each quarter at a time using an applicator pad (using circular motion), let it for 3-5 minutes then buff it off. You can tell it’s ready to be buffed by swiping your finger in area, if it didn’t leave residue then its ready to be buffed)

Step 10 – Apply tire gel on the outside of the tires to give it a dark rich clean look

Engine bay - If needed

Step 1- Vacuum any dirt you can, this will make your job easier later on – try to use different vacuum head attachments to grab as much as you.

Step 2- Use a soapy spray bottle (better use a mixture of dish soap and warm water – it will help remove any grease) and brush it with an old tooth brush.

Step 3- Wipe of the soap and the dirt with a towel, make sure you dry all the areas properly.

Step 4- Use a plastic restorer on all the plastic and rubber parts in the engine bay, its better if you apply some in one area and spread it using a small brush (DO NOT apply any or get it close to the engine belt as it may cause to slip out of its place). Wipe off any excess.

I hope this will somehow help you guys. Feel free to ask any questions or add any comments on it. After all this is just a personal effort.

Products used:
Interior cleaner
Microfiber towel
Leather cleaner and conditioner
Clay bar
Car shampoo
Tire noodle washing mitt
Drying microfiber towel
Wax
Tire gel
Plastic restorer
Applicator pads (for the tire gel and liquid wax)
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
all that effort and you encourage using a) a sponge and b) wiping the snow foam/shampoo as the whole purpose of that is to pick up dirt/grit. So all you're doing is using a coarse sanding pad to rub in more grit to the paintwork.

OP
OP
Nightblue3

Nightblue3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
all that effort and you encourage using a) a sponge and b) wiping the snow foam/shampoo as the whole purpose of that is to pick up dirt/grit. So all you're doing is using a coarse sanding pad to rub in more grit to the paintwork.
The car was clayed in the step before :)

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
doesn't really matter as you don't clay every wash I do mine like once every 12 months but keep on top with an ironx after a snow foam.
at very least never use a sponge always use a lambs wool mitt or micro fibre mitt and always wash in straight lines never curves/circles.

Sponsored

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I have actually stopped using my foam cannon as recommended by my detailer. The foam along with a slightly high ppm rating of my water caused a lot of hazing and water spots.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I have actually stopped using my foam cannon as recommended by my detailer. The foam along with a slightly high ppm rating of my water caused a lot of hazing and water spots.
just gotta nuke the carbonate hardness out of your water ie: you want soft water get a water tub and an RO (reverse osmosis) machine and you'll get shiny soft water that doesn't leave water spots with ph neutral snow foam you'll be good
Sponsored