Sponsored

Track insurance for the S550?

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
I pay for track insurance through rlicorp at every event.

I'm not too worried about myself crashing but more of someone hitting me.

There are plenty of threads on various forums where people take their daily out on the track, crash it and are stuck with a bill for what's left on the car loan.

It's around 300 for my Shelby and in my opinion is the price you have to pay to have fun.

If you want to start with something that may be cheaper, auto x has zero cars around you so insurance isn't necessary in my opinion.
rlicorp? Im paying 450 an event for insurance that adds up quick. Never mind found them interesting
Sponsored

Last edited:

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I pay for track insurance through rlicorp at every event.

I'm not too worried about myself crashing but more of someone hitting me.

There are plenty of threads on various forums where people take their daily out on the track, crash it and are stuck with a bill for what's left on the car loan.

It's around 300 for my Shelby and in my opinion is the price you have to pay to have fun.

If you want to start with something that may be cheaper, auto x has zero cars around you so insurance isn't necessary in my opinion.

Not just people hitting you, up people in front of you blowing an engine and dropping a coolant/ oil slick in front of you. That happened on my last track day ( in another run group ) a couple people behind hit the slick and slid off the track . Completely unavoidable by them.

saf1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Oddly enough I'm glad this question was posted because I had a similar question. I was not sure of the cost, if it was standard offering at the track(s), etc. Me personally I just figured this is part of the buy-in package one must have to play.

In fact being someone who will be doing this for the first time I'm starting to write a check list for things I need to check on the car before I attend my first session, what to bring while there, and enough funds to cover the event to include lodging (although hopefully something will be near by). Since I don't know what HPDE events are around me at the moment and they sound like a good source of instruction for beginners I think that is where I would start.

I did this with my first 50 or so scuba dives and still follow that checklist more or less today. Because my Mustang is also my daily driver it sort of makes sense for me to do similar things. The last thing I want to do is show up and then say darn, I needed to bring X,Y, and Z :) And knowing me, I'm sure I'd leave it there.

So my first event is to just find a event and visit. That is my first item on the checklist :D Thanks OP for the post. It was good to get some base numbers.

Sponsored

Garf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
You mean pay MORE to play MORE?

I figured buying the Mustang would let me play and it does but playing on the track is a different level.

-Emt1581
Okay, So this post might get some hate but here's my .02. If you are using an organizer (Jzilla for example) who has a beginner group with dedicated instructors for each beginner driver and you know your limits as far as ability and don't be an idiot, then honestly you don't need track insurance. Beginner groups with instructors are pretty bullet proof safety wise. All you really really need is new brake fluid. Brake pads are a close second after that then you're pretty much set. If it's your first time out you won't be anywhere near the cars limit.

All that not withstanding. Track insurance is a huge peace of mind. I've probably spent more than $600 on what was essentially a waste, but it gave me some confidence which I liked. I ran at Road Atlanta with 100% stock brakes for the base ecoboost (smallest you can get on the s550) and had no issues. Don't push it and spend your day learning technique and you'll have a blast.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
You mean pay MORE to play MORE?

I figured buying the Mustang would let me play and it does but playing on the track is a different level.

-Emt1581
Go autocrossing - if you never have.

Cheaper, infinitely less risk, way less wear on the car and you will learn a lot.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Okay, So this post might get some hate but here's my .02. If you are using an organizer (Jzilla for example) who has a beginner group with dedicated instructors for each beginner driver and you know your limits as far as ability and don't be an idiot, then honestly you don't need track insurance. Beginner groups with instructors are pretty bullet proof safety wise. All you really really need is new brake fluid. Brake pads are a close second after that then you're pretty much set. If it's your first time out you won't be anywhere near the cars limit.

All that not withstanding. Track insurance is a huge peace of mind. I've probably spent more than $600 on what was essentially a waste, but it gave me some confidence which I liked. I ran at Road Atlanta with 100% stock brakes for the base ecoboost (smallest you can get on the s550) and had no issues. Don't push it and spend your day learning technique and you'll have a blast.

Agree with all of this , just your risk tolerance is higher then mine :) I always worry about the "freak occurrence" .

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
While I haven't considered track day insurance for running at NJMP, I might for a track like Watkins Glen where there isn't nearly as much anywhere.

memo to Emt1581 - since both tracks at NJMP feature good runoff room most places, that would be a good place to try this activity out at if you're anywhere on the east side of PA.

Also, if you go into your first track day with some autocrossing under your belt, track driving might not be such a big step up past your experience.

Norm

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
memo to Emt1581 - since both tracks at NJMP feature good runoff room most places, that would be a good place to try this activity out at if you're anywhere on the east side of PA.

Also, if you go into your first track day with some autocrossing under your belt, track driving might not be such a big step up past your experience.

Norm
Autocrossing...is that where they find big parking lots and set cones up to drive through? Or is is a dedicated track?

If the biggest concern would be a little orange paint to wipe off from hitting a cone too hard I'd be much less worried about insurance.

I am in eastern PA. Lehigh Valley area about 10min. from P-Burg.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Autocrossing...is that where they find big parking lots and set cones up to drive through? Or is is a dedicated track?
The vast majority of autocrosses are held on either large parking lots or airfield runways. And sometimes at track venues without being on the track itself. Years ago, Philly Region SCCA would run a few autocrosses a year on the infield at Nazareth Speedway.

If the biggest concern would be a little orange paint to wipe off from hitting a cone too hard I'd be much less worried about insurance.
In a Camaro on street tires, there's almost zero additional risk over any of your street driving that does not involve other traffic.

NJMP has their own novice program, with classroom instruction and group driving in a lead-follow format (3 levels of novice driving). About once/month.

Norm

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The vast majority of autocrosses are held on either large parking lots or airfield runways. And sometimes at track venues without being on the track itself. Years ago, Philly Region SCCA would run a few autocrosses a year on the infield at Nazareth Speedway.

In a Camaro on street tires, there's almost zero additional risk over any of your street driving that does not involve other traffic.

NJMP has their own novice program, with classroom instruction and group driving in a lead-follow format (3 levels of novice driving). About once/month.

Norm
Yeah I saw that about their novice program. To be honest, I'd appreciate the classroom instruction the most. Even youtube vids of how to go into turns, work the pedals, when to shift/accelerate, etc..... I've learned to do amazing things from youtube. Things I would have never dreamed of doing before youtube.

Might be a topic for another thread but are there any youtubers to watch that give such instructions?

You mentioned "zero additional risk"...but the problem is, should something go wrong...a freak accident....I'd be totally 100% screwed. I'm pretty sure the insurance companies look at an autocross course the same as a "track."

Thanks

-Emt1581

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'd second the suggestion to try autocrossing (also called autox or "SCCA Solo" events)

Cone marks rubs off pretty easily and while the danger to cars depends a little on the course layout and site, its typically much much lower than track driving. A bunch of us to pay up for track insurance, but nobody bothers for autox.

Entry fees are usually just a few bucks and although the total amount of seat time doesnt compare to track driving, autox is a ton of fun and you can really get better at car control at the limit. Autox practice has saved my ass at the track and on the road (ice) more than a few times.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd second the suggestion to try autocrossing (also called autox or "SCCA Solo" events)

Cone marks rubs off pretty easily and while the danger to cars depends a little on the course layout and site, its typically much much lower than track driving. A bunch of us to pay up for track insurance, but nobody bothers for autox.

Entry fees are usually just a few bucks and although the total amount of seat time doesnt compare to track driving, autox is a ton of fun and you can really get better at car control at the limit. Autox practice has saved my ass at the track and on the road (ice) more than a few times.
Hmm...might have to look more into this. Not sure who offers it near me.

My main concerns would be what risks of damage to the car actually exist?

Thanks

-Emt1581

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Hmm...might have to look more into this. Not sure who offers it near me.

My main concerns would be what risks of damage to the car actually exist?

Thanks

-Emt1581
Autox risk is very small depending on the course. I have seen videos of courses I wouldnt run how ever.
Sponsored