Sponsored

2015-17 Mustang GT Ford Performance Power Packs

leszek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 CO GT PP vert
Thanks for the explanation. After 25+ years of driving a stick, in everything from 4 cyl diesels to dually pickups to the Mustang, that will take a lot of getting used to. Definitely not something to do every day if you want your motor and drivetrain to live very long, I would think.
Think of it as "launch control" but for all gears, not just the first one. :)
Sponsored

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Think of it as "launch control" but for all gears, not just the first one. :)
That's actually a brilliant way to describe it.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I'm gonna guess the autos don't suffer from rev hang.

Slightly humorous, but I actually laughed when somebody told me their favorite part of the tune was the no lift shift... In an auto.
Was this person a bit advanced in age?
Back in the day you had to lift on higher powered, carbueratored automatics to avoid a surge. Hasn't been the case since EFI came around. If I don't lift on my C10 it'll scratch tires going to 2nd and give you a good jolt going to 3rd.

My guess is that the rev hang issue came around since there is no load on the engine when the clutch is disengaged. Autos never go to zero-load conditions.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Back in the day, when the previous generation was street racing, it seems that the "no-lift-shift" was handled with lighting quick coordination and finely tuned skills.

Decades ago, riding with my uncle in his home made mid engine V8 sand rail, I was witness to him down shifting under full power while climbing steep sand. Fastest smoothest shift I've ever seen before or since. It was literally instantaneous. Made automatic transmissions look slow.

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Sand rails might seem to be a bit off topic, but all those trips to the dunes as a kid running big V8 sand rails is the reason I'm driving the s550 today (not the more popular mid-life crisis theory). The stang is like dune-bugg'n on the street...

Dad built his buggy not using a rear engine air-cooled VW as was the norm, but a front mounted 455 cubic inch Buick with dual 4-barrell carbs. As a 12 year old, nothing compared to being at the wheel of such awesome power!

Also explains my interest in these power packs and perhaps one day a supercharger. I think I need more money...

Sponsored

AppoTheApple

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tien
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT DIB
Was this person a bit advanced in age?
Back in the day you had to lift on higher powered, carbueratored automatics to avoid a surge. Hasn't been the case since EFI came around. If I don't lift on my C10 it'll scratch tires going to 2nd and give you a good jolt going to 3rd.

My guess is that the rev hang issue came around since there is no load on the engine when the clutch is disengaged. Autos never go to zero-load conditions.
I suppose that could have been it, though the person was only in his early 20s. I think he just wasn't sure what he was talking about, but who knows lol.

SuperSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Overview of the power packs?

Hi everyone. A little late to the game here, but looking to do something with my '15 GT.

As of right now, there are 219 pages in this thread. I'm sure all of my questions are answered somewhere here, and I'll start reading through posts.

But, hoping someone could 'speed up' the process for me, give me a quick overview of these. I.e.- does each pack build upon the others (do you buy 1, 2, and 3? Overall, happy with upgrade/recommend it? Are each of them good packs, or do you recommend one over the other? Any big issues/bugs to consider?

Again, I'm sure it's all answered somewhere in this thread, but hoping someone could fire off a quick overview.

Thanks!

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
Hi everyone. A little late to the game here, but looking to do something with my '15 GT.

As of right now, there are 219 pages in this thread. I'm sure all of my questions are answered somewhere here, and I'll start reading through posts.

But, hoping someone could 'speed up' the process for me, give me a quick overview of these. I.e.- does each pack build upon the others (do you buy 1, 2, and 3? Overall, happy with upgrade/recommend it? Are each of them good packs, or do you recommend one over the other? Any big issues/bugs to consider?

Again, I'm sure it's all answered somewhere in this thread, but hoping someone could fire off a quick overview.

Thanks!
1. i have power pack 2.
2. Pp2 and pp3 are great. I recommed pp2 because i cannot justify price of pp3 and i would put 3k more and get it supercharged.
3.No issues after new tune update

ssj92

Photon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT California Special

Thanks!
Also you cannot build upon each pack.

Example: You buy PP2 and later want PP3. You have to buy the whole PP3 to upgrade.

Markbnh1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape & 2015 Ruby Red GT Premium

Thanks!
I just had PP2 installed last week on my automatic. So far I am loving it. I went this route to keep what's left of my warranty. Each pack level is stand alone and adds more to the one before it. PP1 is just a tune, PP2 adds a cold air intake and larger throttle body, PP3 includes all that plus more.

PP2 really wakes up the automatic! Quicker shifts, higher RPMs, etc. It does require 91 octane gas or more, but I have used 93 all along anyways. You also get that nice GT350 look under the hood! It's a win win win for me! (Warranty, performance, and looks). :clap2:

Sponsored

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
I just had PP2 installed last week on my automatic. So far I am loving it. I went this route to keep what's left of my warranty. Each pack level is stand alone and adds more to the one before it. PP1 is just a tune, PP2 adds a cold air intake and larger throttle body, PP3 includes all that plus more.

PP2 really wakes up the automatic! Quicker shifts, higher RPMs, etc. It does require 91 octane gas or more, but I have used 93 all along anyways. You also get that nice GT350 look under the hood! It's a win win win for me! (Warranty, performance, and looks). :clap2:
agreed...

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
Also you cannot build upon each pack.

Example: You buy PP2 and later want PP3. You have to buy the whole PP3 to upgrade.
To my understanding, the packs use the same parts and just include additional hardware and specific tunes. For example pack #1 is a high flow filter and a tune; #2 includes the same filter, a cold air intake, a larger throttle body and a different tune; #3 uses the same parts and adds the GT350 intake manifold and a different tune.

It is true that they only sell them as kits. The only options I've seen is with or without the tune related stuff (different FPR part number). Since the parts are replicated across kits, in theory you could install pack 2 and later add the intake; however, the problem you'll run into is that they don't currently sell a bridging kit. You would have to assemble and purchase the additional pieces separately. And don't forget that they only show/list the major components, but there are also several little pieces, tubes, wires, nuts & bolts, etc. needed for installation.

Each kit includes a specific tune, but it is not physically in the kit. Once installed, the power pack is registered with FPR based on your kit and your VIN and the technician is provided with a link/code to download it from FPR. This will likely also become a problem when you try to get the required tune for a Frankenstein'd kit from FPR since you won't necessarily have the "kit" numbers they are expecting and registration might not be possible. Additionally, there likely wouldn't be the FPR supplemental warranty at that point (biggest draw to these kits versus custom tunes).

If you want one of these kits for ease of use / install and warranty, you'll be better off choosing which you want up front and stick to it. Or purchase the whole next kit and start over.

If you want to piece meal them as you go, you have a lot of homework to do and will likely need to call FPR many times, unless their first answer is "No, you can't do that".

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
To my understanding, the packs use the same parts and just include additional hardware and specific tunes. For example pack #1 is a high flow filter and a tune; #2 includes the same filter, a cold air intake, a larger throttle body and a different tune; #3 uses the same parts and adds the GT350 intake manifold and a different tune.

If you want to piece meal them as you go, you have a lot of homework to do and will likely need to call FPR many times, unless their first answer is "No, you can't do that".
PP1 uses a drop-in K&N filter that fits the stock air box.

PP2 and PP3 use the GT350 Air box with a huge conical filter. They don't even begin to interchange.

FRPP will very likely tell you exact that...

THE_AHJ

AuthorityHvngJurisdiction
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Metrolink
Correct...you don't build off of each other. If you want PP2 or PP3 it's straight to either one, you don't have to purchase them in order.
Sponsored