Sponsored

Autocross and now service advance trac?

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I have been autocrossing for about 15 years, but not in the last 2. I took my 2015 to the track to autocross it for the first time. Car ran great but I ended up with an alarm during my runs and the screen saying "Service Advance Trac".

I had all babysitters off for my runs and was getting 1g lateral and braking.

Now on the way home from the track the warning light went away and all back to normal.

What was that all about? Anyone else seen that.

BTW, I enjoy the car on a road course better.
Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
It happens to many of us. Seems like the consensus to avoid it is to make sure the car is 'booted' up for a min or so before turning Advancetrack off then just idle the car through the whole heat when in grid so you don't forget to turn it off again on a subsequent run.

Static_LV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem PP, 1969 Mustang Coupe
I haven't had this happen to me but one of the local guys did. [MENTION=16275]SteveW[/MENTION] is right on point with his comments.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
It happens to many of us. Seems like the consensus to avoid it is to make sure the car is 'booted' up for a min or so before turning Advancetrack off then just idle the car through the whole heat when in grid so you don't forget to turn it off again on a subsequent run.
This. Two causes: First is not pressing and holding the brake down when turning AdvanceTrac off and the second is from turning it off too soon. Generally speaking I can turn the car on when given the 5 car warning, then by the time I get up to the start line turn it off and have it stay off for a run.

Sponsored

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Yuuup. Happened to me at my last autocross day too. I'll have to try Whiskey11's method next time I'm out to see if it makes a difference.

[ame]

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I had this happen to me when I was "testing" a loaner V6 Auto in a big empty parking lot with Advance Trac turned off. Went for a final big spin and it popped up along with a warning hill start assist would not work. Turned the car off and back on and all seemed good. I am curious if it has something to do with the rear diff.

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
It happened to me in my new-to-me 2015 EBPP running paced laps at Talladega last weekend. It was then buggy for the rest of the day, which included an autocross. I got the Advancetrac warning & that drive modes weren't available, but then it would let me choose drive modes after all. This was with race wheels that I haven't been able to get paired to the TPMS system.

So looking at the previous responses. is the process:
1) start the car
2) wait a few minutes
3) select track mode
4) depress brake pedal & hold button to fully turn off advancetrac?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
My car is a 2015 base GT with PP.

Normal procedure is to start car and wait maybe 10 seconds for the instruments, etc. to fully boot up then hold the button long enough for "advance track off" to show up. I usually have the foot brake on to keep the car from rolling. I usually shut the car off between runs except at Pro Solos where there isn't enough time. I've experienced maybe 4 or 5 "service advance track" warnings in over 2 years and hundreds of autocross runs. At least one of those was when at a school and I didn't give the instrument panel, etc. time to fully boot up.

Note that holding the brake pedal down doesn't seem to be relevant given that you can disable advance track while driving at highway speeds.

Edit to add: According to the service manual info there is no interaction between TPMS and stability control. That said I do use TPMS sensors in all my wheels.

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Same issue here. I noticed at one event that it kept doing it at the first hard right turn. The subsequent run I took it easier in that turn and then the system didn't glitch out.

I haven't tried letting the car run for a minute before turning it off. Really want this solved as well because it completely destroys any chance of being consistent/competitive in autocross.

TwinReverb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I had this warning come up too. Jacked the car up. Found a bad wheel bearing. These cars are known for bad wheel bearings and axle nuts coming loose.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same issue here. I noticed at one event that it kept doing it at the first hard right turn. The subsequent run I took it easier in that turn and then the system didn't glitch out.

I haven't tried letting the car run for a minute before turning it off. Really want this solved as well because it completely destroys any chance of being consistent/competitive in autocross.
FYI according to the service manual when something triggers the warning it completely disables Advance Trac. Assuming the manual is correct (not necessarily so) the only issue "should be" the distraction.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had this warning come up too. Jacked the car up. Found a bad wheel bearing. These cars are known for bad wheel bearings and axle nuts coming loose.
This makes sense and is consistent with the description of how the the FSM says the system works. Basically a wheel speed sensor signal problem I guess.

Interestingly in my car (I'm generally lucky :D ) most of the few times mine had the warning were when the car was new. I'm at 28K miles now.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
FYI according to the service manual when something triggers the warning it completely disables Advance Trac. Assuming the manual is correct (not necessarily so) the only issue "should be" the distraction.
For my GT350 when it glitches out it sets the car to "normal" mode from "track" mode and traction control is on at full nanny mode; cuts the power if it anticipates even the slightest rear wheel spin.
Sponsored