Autocross and now service advance trac?

TNcoupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Ok, guys whats the fix? Here at VIR and we have a car with a service advancetrac coming on, ABS issues, etc after the last run of the day.
Sponsored

mnmike59

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
You can always pull the fuse? But you will lose the ABS along with the advance track.
Hows the clutch? I had a clutch going out that gave me advance track warnings and limp mode.

DJ_gametime1

DJ_Gametime1
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DJ
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT. Few performance mods
Advance Trac Warning

Thanks guys. I had this happen to me today. Was at the track a couple weeks ago and a spirited driver. Thought I broke something.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I had it happen for the first time today at a local autocross. Car has probably 120 autox runs and a handful of track days (all in Track mode with AdvanceTrac and TC turned off), and this is the first time its glitched during a run. I left the car on after the run and it reset itself to Normal drive mode with TC-ON after a bit. I got 10 runs and only 1 error.

Interesting there was an EB driver who was getting it almost every run today.

Im guessing a particular small bump followed by a slippery section of concrete was confusing the sensors, but it is odd that it would error with things disabled like that.

I often get the same error with traction control turned on when I drive a specific very long bumpy gravel road once a week. Probably 50% of the time ill get the error in that road just before I reach the end. Its a pretty brutal stretch of bumpy crap.

I need to inspect my axles and hubs, see if anything is loose.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I ran a total of 32 autocross runs this weekend at the SCCA Tour and Match Tour and associated EVO Advantage TnT at Bristol Motor Speedway. No Advance Trac errors at all with it turned off. 14 of the 20 TnT runs were literally back to back without turning off the engine or turning Advance Trac on/off. The other runs were normal autocross runs spread over 4 days. Site had a fair amount of bumps and even "jumps" with more "oversteer/almost spin" moments than I wanted. :-)

Sponsored

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
I had no problems at the Bristol TnT or Champ Tour but got the Service AdvanceTrac nonsense 4 of 6 runs during the Match Tour monday. Each time was going in to turn one. I'm guessing the cause is a yaw sensor since that feature was braking for a tight turn on the side of an incline.

What's really strange to me is that it seems to have set off the chime and display warning but did not actually change the car settings. Unlike past experience, the car remained in Track mode and traction control remained fully disabled. I don't understand why, but I can live with this once I learn to ignore the alarm if it goes off.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I had no problems at the Bristol TnT or Champ Tour but got the Service AdvanceTrac nonsense 4 of 6 runs during the Match Tour monday. Each time was going in to turn one. I'm guessing the cause is a yaw sensor since that feature was braking for a tight turn on the side of an incline.

What's really strange to me is that it seems to have set off the chime and display warning but did not actually change the car settings. Unlike past experience, the car remained in Track mode and traction control remained fully disabled. I don't understand why, but I can live with this once I learn to ignore the alarm if it goes off.
It won't reset the settings right away.. You'll get the chime and warning first, then after a bit once it's calmed down (maybe a minute?), it will reset the traction control / advancetrak settings to default.

For me, that meant when it went off mid-run I had plenty of time to finish that run, but for my next run the settings were back to noob defaults since I didn't shut off the car or manually re-disable TC/AT and re-engage Sport/Track mode.

rodhx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Premium
It won't reset the settings right away.. You'll get the chime and warning first, then after a bit once it's calmed down (maybe a minute?), it will reset the traction control / advancetrak settings to default.

For me, that meant when it went off mid-run I had plenty of time to finish that run, but for my next run the settings were back to noob defaults since I didn't shut off the car or manually re-disable TC/AT and re-engage Sport/Track mode.
Thanks!

I didn't think it was possible to simply reset the mode & turn off TC without restarting the car to clear the warning.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks!

I didn't think it was possible to simply reset the mode & turn off TC without restarting the car to clear the warning.
I had to restart the car to disable the warning and get drive modes back. Kept getting a "drive modes disabled" message while frantically hitting buttons to get it back to track mode.

I ran my GT350 at an autocross this past weekend and had various issues...

For the first run, since the car was new to me I figured I'd run in Track mode and leave whatever nannies on. That was a fairly pointless endeavor so I wanted to turn everything off for the second run.

For the second run, I turned AdvanceTrac off THEN put it in track mode which re-enabled some nannies.

For my third run I finally did everything in the correct order but AdvanceTrac turned on in the first corner (launched through a slalom and then into a tight hairpin) I assume due to some bumpiness and a bit of late braking leading to a little slide. The car defaulted to normal mode and was a total dog to drive. Wasted the run...

Fourth run, everything was fine. AdvanceTrac stayed off and the car was playful and a joy to drive.

I got the class win by ~2 seconds, but I think I had a half-decent shot at 2nd in PAX if my third run hadn't been wasted. It essentially meant I was a run behind the curve and my fourth run had plenty of errors due to carrying a lot more speed...

So the correct procedure is essentially this, right?

1. Start car, let it sit for ~15 seconds or so to finish booting up all of the electronics
  2. Put car in track mode (ignore this for the S550s without it?)
  3. Hold the AdvanceTrac switch for ~5 seconds (or ~10 seconds? whatever it is) until you get the message that tells you AdvanceTrac is off
  4. Drive and don't confuse the car with bumpy pavement and crappy driver inputs

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Regarding the above you may find yourself getting bothered because there does not seem to be a fix that works consistently. My GT350 seems to trigger off hard brake right turns. Some runs the car stays in track and other times it faults to normal. Lately for me the fault rate is about 30-50%.

Next autox is in 2 weeks and if it has the problem again I will see about new sensors from the dealer. Only problem is they won't be able to repeat the issue on the street. At the road course I don't have a problem only the autox.

Sponsored

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Regarding the above you may find yourself getting bothered because there does not seem to be a fix that works consistently. My GT350 seems to trigger off hard brake right turns. Some runs the car stays in track and other times it faults to normal. Lately for me the fault rate is about 30-50%.

Next autox is in 2 weeks and if it has the problem again I will see about new sensors from the dealer. Only problem is they won't be able to repeat the issue on the street. At the road course I don't have a problem only the autox.
It was a hard brake right turn. Oddly it had no issues on my first two runs with advancetrac partially on. Fourth run I took it a little easier there and no problem and didn't lose much time.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Skip to 52 seconds if the link doesn't work properly. You can hear the car default to normal mode and if you watch my hands later in the run I was frantically trying to get it to shut the nannies off.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Guys as a quick FYI don't get confused between S550's and GT350's in regard to the different driving modes. With our cars there is no "track (or sport mode for base cars)" with Advance Trac turned off as far as I can determine from the manuals. The GT350 has some things which continue even with Advance Trac turned off (based on credible people like Conedodger in GT350 autocross threads). Also it appears that the GT350 can revert to "normal" mode if you accidentally hit the steering wheel mode button based on Conedodger video of their car in action.

Another thing to consider is this warning from the owner guide for the S550's:

Vehicle modifications involving
braking system, aftermarket roof
racks, suspension, steering system,
tire construction and wheel and tire size
may change the handling characteristics
of the vehicle and may adversely affect
the performance of the AdvanceTrac
system. In addition, installing any stereo
loudspeakers may interfere with and
adversely affect the AdvanceTrac system.
Install any aftermarket stereo loudspeaker
as far as possible from the front center
console, the tunnel, and the front seats in
order to minimize the risk of interfering with
the AdvanceTrac sensors.
Reducing the
effectiveness of the AdvanceTrac system
could lead to an increased risk of loss of
vehicle control, vehicle rollover, personal
injury and death.
I'm guessing that the concern is vibration at certain frequencies. Apparently exhaust system changes are not a concern.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Here is [ame="[MEDIA=youtube]9rW48OJppLk[/MEDIA]"]mine[/ame]. Looks like the error comes up at ~15 seconds in (2-3 seconds before the unrelated bump/tire squeal, which I originally thought caused it).

DickR, you can have traction control turned off on while in sport/track mode on an S550, but the sport/track setting is then only changing your throttle response.

DocWalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Guys as a quick FYI don't get confused between S550's and GT350's in regard to the different driving modes. With our cars there is no "track (or sport mode for base cars)" with Advance Trac turned off as far as I can determine from the manuals. The GT350 has some things which continue even with Advance Trac turned off (based on credible people like Conedodger in GT350 autocross threads). Also it appears that the GT350 can revert to "normal" mode if you accidentally hit the steering wheel mode button based on Conedodger video of their car in action.

Another thing to consider is this warning from the owner guide for the S550's:

I'm guessing that the concern is vibration at certain frequencies. Apparently exhaust system changes are not a concern.
I searched and didn't find anything, Dick. Do you have any more details on this?

The GT350 supplement says track mode does special things but then turning off AdvanceTrac should disable everything. On my fourth run when everything stayed disabled the car felt perfectly fine. FWIW I definitely didn't hit the mode buttons as I got the "Service AdvanceTrac" message...

It was my first event in the car and maybe I was too aggressive in it, but watching the video I linked above it didn't look like the car struggled with what I was attempting (besides a bit of push). I'm coming from a Focus RS and at least the nannies stayed off in that... but it always had stupid "panic assist" issues if you tapped the brake pedal too quickly. It was a fun car, and I trophied at 3 of the four national events I ran in it... but the GT350 is on a whole different level of fun :)

edit: here was the 4th run where the car worked properly (but i missed all of the braking points due to actually carrying speed, lol)

[ame]
Sponsored