Sponsored

Service Advancetrac during autocross

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
This is the first time I've had this happen to me all year. I'm in my white GT PP base and the 6th event for it. 3rd run on this course and it came on 36 secs into the video.

What is different about this course vs other events I've run the car is on my first run I forgot to turn on traction control/advancetrac via the step on the brake, hold TC button for 7-8 secs until it turns off. Runs 2-4 I did and only the 3rd got the service message. Run 4 was faster by .6.

Please excuse how slow I am in the slalom at the beginning of the course. I just couldn't get hooked up to build any pace off the pin cone at the beginning of it.

The is a fun event: 4 courses in 2 days, winner decided by PAX.

[ame]

Any thoughts on what it came on?
Sponsored

OppositeLock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Not sure, has not come on at a autocross yet. I had it come on one time when i was doing donuts though. Went away after a min.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I have close to 200 autocross runs in my car. Service advance track came several times in the first few events but it hasn't come on since. The only change since the last time it happened is making sure the start up sequence has finished "booting" after starting the engine (i.e. all the various lights/warning tests have finished) and then pressing the brake pedal when holding the button. My car is a basic GT with PP. AFAIK from the service manual "service advance track" actually turns off, or keeps off, T/C, Advance Track, etc. so the only issue is the distraction.

Another "theory" is that electronic interference from a phone, etc. might be interfering with the signal from the yaw sensor located in the center console area. However, I keep my Droid Maxx in the console with blue tooth on receiving data via bluetooth from my Race Technology DL1.

boileralum

cone junky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP DIB
Mine did it once today, the first time I have autocrossed the car, out of 12 runs between myself ad other drivers. I was not pressing the brake while holding the TC button, and may have disabled it right after starting it that time, so that theory has merit.

Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Depending on the start location and when you turn the car on and everything "OFF", on short, tight courses, the EPAS won't get to initialize the SWA sensor and the system will fault. This will typically pull power from the engine when it does this too.

OP
OP
SteveW

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Depending on the start location and when you turn the car on and everything "OFF", on short, tight courses, the EPAS won't get to initialize the SWA sensor and the system will fault. This will typically pull power from the engine when it does this too.
I think you're onto something with the above. I got it to do it again today when I was shutting the car off between runs on the morning course. On my first run I forgot to turn off AdvanceTrack then, on the 2nd run it set off the service message again. I may not have given it enough time between startup and making the run.

In the afternoon I just left the car running the whole heat with a good warm-up with the A/T off. No messages during the afternoon. Just leaving the car on, idling, the whole heat with the hood up between runs has been my SOP most of the season and I had never seen the message that way.

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
brake doesn't have to be held to turn it off, fyi

also, I've never had this on mine.
That's not what he's getting at. Others have noticed, myself included, that the "Service AdvanceTrac" warning is more frequent when you DON'T press the brake pedal down while holding the button than when you do hold the brake pedal. In fact, in my "brief" time owning my car, the only time the warning has popped up is when I DON'T hold the brake pedal down firmly while holding the traction control button.

Base GT/PP here.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SWA is steering wheel angle sensor I assume. Correct? Interesting since I was using "Easy Diagnosis" on my phone a couple days ago just to see what it reads and noticed that the steering angle sensor wasn't providing data when testing in my garage without driving.

Can you elaborate?

Thanks!

Sponsored

JiminVirginia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black Shelby GT350. No stripes.
Happened to me the first time last weekend, twice in seven runs, at the same place on the course, a left hand, tight, 180. I'd had the car out for 5-6 events previously with no such incidents.

I don't know what causes it. I was in "track mode" as in all other runs. The warning did NOT pull power or otherwise interfere with car performance, and the fault vanished as soon as the run was complete and I parked the car back in grid.

Very odd. But the car's electronics do odd things from time to time anyway.

Jim

ABQautoxer

Autox Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I get it here and there autoxing. I seem to least get it when I have the ebrake on and brake pedal depressed when disabling. Could be coincidence or a factor, I can't prove it one way or another. I've never noticed it pulling power when it comes on.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
I think you're onto something with the above. I got it to do it again today when I was shutting the car off between runs on the morning course. On my first run I forgot to turn off AdvanceTrack then, on the 2nd run it set off the service message again. I may not have given it enough time between startup and making the run.

In the afternoon I just left the car running the whole heat with a good warm-up with the A/T off. No messages during the afternoon. Just leaving the car on, idling, the whole heat with the hood up between runs has been my SOP most of the season and I had never seen the message that way.
In respect to the S550, yes... I could be on to something. In respect to 2011-14 S197 stuff, this is for sure. Sadly I cannot provide any type of proof as the findings of this were done in a setting that didn't really allow that.

SWA = steering wheel angle, yes.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI my car doesn't seem to care regarding leaving the engine running or not. Normally but by no means always I shut the engine off between runs. The main thing is make sure it is finished with the startup "check the systems" sequence, the handbrake is off, and the brake pedal has pressure when holding the button down. I don't know how many, if any, of those three things are required but I haven't had a warning since doing all three. This includes situations where the "grid to start" distance is less than 75 feet.

cerv14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2024 Dark Horse
FYI my car doesn't seem to care regarding leaving the engine running or not. Normally but by no means always I shut the engine off between runs. The main thing is make sure it is finished with the startup "check the systems" sequence, the handbrake is off, and the brake pedal has pressure when holding the button down. I don't know how many, if any, of those three things are required but I haven't had a warning since doing all three. This includes situations where the "grid to start" distance is less than 75 feet.
This happened to me for the first time at an AutoX event yesterday. (My S550 has been to three events so far) Ran the car for 6 runs, turning the car off in between each run. Premium EB PP here, so track mode was on with T/C disabled by holding the brake pedal.

I'm thinking the factor which tripped the "Service AdvanceTrac" light on 2 of those runs is keeping the handbrake up while doing it...? This also makes sense - although completely unrelated - When you run the Vehicle Health Report and your parking brake is on, it'll blow up with 2 errors solely about your parking brake. Totally unrelated, but my thinking here is that the car needs to go through all the typical startup checks including the parking brake otherwise you may get this AdvanceTrac warning light.

What do you think?
Sponsored