Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
That would make the most sense, as the guys I know, mostly older, who can easily afford a GT, don't want anything to do with a hybrid. Most just don't want the complexity, even if they are keeping it stock.
And don't forget the added weight of electro motors and batteries. You don't want that in a GT.

Keep the hybrid option on the low end of the price scale where the younger buyers would be more accepting.
Hybrid tech is not just aimed at younger demographics but also at markets that have high taxation on CO2 emissions. With the global sales success that Ford is currently scoring with the Mustang and the increasing amount of countries that is run by tree hugging hippies it will be increasingly important to offer a low emission alternative.

In my country for example I paid $12,000 CO2 tax on top of the price of the car in 2015. Had I bought it in 2016 that tax would have already been up to $15,000. This year it is $18,000 and in 2020 it wil be around $24,000. And mind you I'm driving an EcoBoost. The CO2 tax on a GT starts at $68,000 over here. So I for one will welcome a hybrid 4banger with open arms because with the reduced emission value compared to the regular EcoBoost the tax might drop back to around $10,000. It's actually quite simple, unless Ford introduces a hybrid version this will be the last Mustang I will ever be able to afford.
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
For a limited battery capacity hybrid, like the fusion, it's $4K
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

And if it is close enough in price to a GT, I don't see the point of it.
The 18 will have more low end torque (supposedly) and a lower
first gear (like a 4.7 vs a 4.17 I think).

The hybrid is supposed to give you even more low end torque
than the V8? Are they fitting 325 drag radials, since the V8 cars
can't get traction now.
Maybe the electric motors will be driving the front tires. That would help with launch control...a lot.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
My main point is that at this time there is no indication that the V8 is being dropped in favor of the hybrid. I predict the V8 and hybrid will live side by side, at least at first.
I agree 100%. A Mustang without a V8 offering would be boo'd off stage even before the first one was built. And Ford knows that very well.

They will probably retool their 4banger hybrid drivetrain to fit both the new Fusion and the new Mustang and keep building them at the same line. Makes a lot of sense to me at least.

Sponsored

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
High tech jobs for cars that save gas! Look how far the GT came.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Interesting interview by Mark Houlahan with Jim Owens running through some '18 details.

Things to note:

Early on, Mark mentions a forthcoming "SE" model.....and Jim grins.

Jim also mentions the functional aero design up front that would "be required for a high performance derivative"

Mark then tries to tease some Bullitt info towards the end.....

http://www.mustangandfords.com/news...ertible-debuts-at-barrett-jackson-palm-beach/

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Auto-86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 2017 Fusion Sport
I paid $12,000 CO2 tax
Well, thanks in advance for ruining my mustang :p

Maybe the electric motors will be driving the front tires. That would help with launch control...a lot.
This is the only way a hybrid would be acceptable to me.
Might even pry me out of my EVO8, if it was 3500 lbs or less,
some form of AWD, and could relatively easily, get 400 AWHP.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Google search...
Bottom Kona
IMG_1625.JPG
IMG_1624.JPG
IMG_1626.JPG

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
Whoa. The orange fury actually looks pretty sweet in the sunlight...unlike the auto show lights.

Sponsored

Roman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2013 Fusion
Hot damn! I knew I was going to get Kona Blue before, but seeing it here carved it in stone. I cannot wait.

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
Those gotta be the best pics I've seen. Those cars look damn good, come on haters even you gotta agree
I'll agree.. to disagree ;)

Just kidding. I'm not a fan of the front but there are so many other things going for the car that if that was the biggest issue, I'd just go aftermarket front fascia, hood/extractors. I'm sure there'll be options.
Unfortunately, I probably won't be in the market again until the 7G launches. I'd get it in a heartbeat if I was purchasing right now.
For you guys getting the refresh... enjoy!!!

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I don't see Grabber Blue! :D

disneyfun1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Prem Calif Special, 2021 Mustang Mach-E
the orange looks great in the sun!! Are we 100% sure that is Kona Blue? I took pics of a kona blue focus next to a lightning blue mustang so i can compare, it seems lighter than the kona blue focus and darker than lightning blue? i need to know for sure when i order. i like blue in the ad on ford.com from the top view looking down, cant tell the colors?? help

here is the pics of kona focus and lightning mustang.

IMG_4130 2 copy.jpg

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
That's a good angle for the Orange Fury cars
Sponsored