Official Tesla-Style Head Unit

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Seems to be a lot of great tech help here and experience. Any chance someone could help me program or setup my 10.2" andriod touch screen version 6.0 so my iPhone wifi hotspot will connect automatically when I enter the car and the system boots up. Right now I have to go to turn wifi hotspot off then on again for the andriod touch screen to detect it and connect.
Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Boy, that install its tons of fun with the wiring. Feels like icgotta force things on, I also made sure I had as much clearance as possible. That WiFi antenna really screws with you.

BTW, Patrick and everyone else will be happy to know....

Check out my tach guage. :headbang:

Sorry for the crap quality pic. Thisc custom ROM has a crap camera apparently.

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Awesome man! How long did it take you?

StangATX

Project Corrupted Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 S550 White Corrupted Cyclone
Boy, that install its tons of fun with the wiring. Feels like icgotta force things on, I also made sure I had as much clearance as possible. That WiFi antenna really screws with you.

BTW, Patrick and everyone else will be happy to know....

Check out my tach guage. :headbang:

Sorry for the crap quality pic. Thisc custom ROM has a crap camera apparently.
Got a picture of the custom harness? Damn I'm so impatient lol. I'm probably gonna start the unit on my bench test tonight if I have time.

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems to be a lot of great tech help here and experience. Any chance someone could help me program or setup my 10.2" andriod touch screen version 6.0 so my iPhone wifi hotspot will connect automatically when I enter the car and the system boots up. Right now I have to go to turn wifi hotspot off then on again for the andriod touch screen to detect it and connect.
It's probably due to the "Interval WiFi scan" settings of your Android unit. I don't know what Android unit you have or what ROM you're running though...

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
I had everything pulled apart already, since I sold my Moddiction unit. So overall install time wasn't terribly long. Id say about an hour. I spent a lot of time trying to remove these pins without screwing the connector up, but gave up and chopped into the harness like Patrick. I'm not happy with how things feel forced in place, so I'll look into that when its not 35 degrees out and dark. I left the unit sitting there loose so I can tackle the LEDs (which look like a real PITA). Here's some shots I took that will hopefully help everyone out.

The harness in the dashboard is numbered. As Patrick said, pin the harness that came with the unit 54 black and 53 yellow.

I stuffed a microfiber cloth on top of the brain to prevent that stuff from rattling.

Here's what it looks like when playing Spotify using BT audio. It displays an oliscope and the track name. You can make this full screen and get rid of the mustang and Tach/Speedo.

FYI - Some quick findings of mine. Haven't played with it long, can't keep the girl waiting all night.

1. Texts don't pop up on the unit.
2. The door chime no longer comes from the car speakers, only the cluster, which cannot be heard over the stereo if loud.
3. BT audio stops playing if you leave the BT section.
4. HD radio is gone.
5. Voice commands are gone (we knew).

Last edited:

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had everything pulled apart already, since I sold my Moddiction unit. So overall install time wasn't terribly long. Id say about an hour. I spent a lot of time trying to remove these pins without screwing the connector up, but gave up and chopped into the harness like Patrick. I'm not happy with how things feel forced in place, so I'll look into that when its not 35 degrees out and dark. I left the unit sitting there loose so I can tackle the LEDs (which look like a real PITA). Here's some shots I took that will hopefully help everyone out.

The harness in the dashboard is numbered. As Patrick said, pin the harness that fame with the unit 54 black and 53 yellow.
Thanks for pics! A little trick to take those pins off easily. Use a needle and make pressure on the little latch from inside the connector. (It might take you a little while before to get it but when you're used to do it. It's fairly simple). I did this method on my older Stang to avoid buying a $50 dollar switch just to have my headlight to come up automatically.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
It's probably due to the "Interval WiFi scan" settings of your Android unit. I don't know what Android unit you have or what ROM you're running though...
Not sure if this helps or tells you anythin.

3e904947bf895c714189eeca120e0ec7_zpsfvoc2zng.jpg

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure if this helps or tells you anythin.
Send me a PM with your headunit information. I'll try to see if I can help you out. I don't wanna get this thread mixed up lol.

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Talking about HD Radio. (I never had it before in this car. I believe it can be enable by As-Built Data though...). If you look at this guy's video at 5:44. He has the HD Radio working on his headunit. (It's not the Tesla's headunit but the other aftermarket one that's on the forum right now). I wonder if we could get his radio apk or something. I don't know how HD Radio works here in the US... All the car I had before where I used to live they've had what you call here "HD Radio". Not that I care much about HD Radio anyways lol. But I'm sure some of you guys would like to have it. I'll try my best to get some information about it. I checked other videos of the same headunit and didn't see the HD Radio working though... Take it with a grain of salt...!

[ame]

Sponsored

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
HD radio shouldn't be a deal killer for anyone. But, HD radio does work on the base unit. It did not work on the Moddiction, even with that unit keeping everything stock. I saw it workking on the horizontal unit, and was surprised to see it not work on the Tesla. I imagine its in the programming somewhere.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Talking about HD Radio. (I never had it before in this car. I believe it can be enable by As-Built Data though...). If you look at this guy's video at 5:44. He has the HD Radio working on his headunit. (It's not the Tesla's headunit but the other aftermarket one that's on the forum right now). I wonder if we could get his radio apk or something. I don't know how HD Radio works here in the US... All the car I had before where I used to live they've had what you call here "HD Radio". Not that I care much about HD Radio anyways lol. But I'm sure some of you guys would like to have it. I'll try my best to get some information about it. I checked other videos of the same headunit and didn't see the HD Radio working though... Take it with a grain of salt...!

HD radio shouldn't be a deal killer for anyone. But, HD radio does work on the base unit. It did not work on the Moddiction, even with that unit keeping everything stock. I saw it workking on the horizontal unit, and was surprised to see it not work on the Tesla. I imagine its in the programming somewhere.
My understanding is HD radio is not supported here in the US. My 10.2" horizontal screen from Seicane has the option but it says HD radio is supported in Europe.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Its either missing either RBDS or HD radio. Your unit must not know you're in the US.

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its either missing either RBDS or HD radio. Your unit must not know you're in the US.
[MENTION=22748]soldier989[/MENTION] / [MENTION=21083]PatrickHenninger[/MENTION]
Quick question... Where does this little pin connects to? (I can't find where. Which mean maybe we could use those 2 to make the custom harness...? (For people like me who doesn't have the gauges in the dashboard)
unnamed.jpg

StangATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My understanding is HD radio is not supported here in the US. My 10.2" horizontal screen from Seicane has the option but it says HD radio is supported in Europe.
When I used to live in Europe. Aftermarket HU or stock they all had that feature. (It wasn't an option at all. At least where I used to live...) I never really paid attention to that little detail when I moved to US lol.
Sponsored