Sponsored

If Ford offered an Automatic in the GT350, Would you be interested?

Would you consider buying an Automatic GT350

• Yes, I would consider purchasing an Automatic GT350

Votes: 41 21.2%
  • Yes, I would consider a DSG type Automatic GT350

Votes: 39 20.2%
  • No way. I only want a Manual in my GT350

Votes: 113 58.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iekgoplot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
The key is in options. Give the consumer the option to select what they would like. And time will tell what sells the most of based on consumer selection.

Cheers
Sponsored

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
Not a chance... I own an Auto GS Vette but for me a Mustang especially a GT350 shouldn't be anything other than a good ole stick shift! An Auto may be faster yes in some situations but it's not even remotely as good of a driving experience. An Auto GT350 would be a good option for people that can't drive stick and people with say bad knees or something like that though. Just not for this guy :cheers:

Krogen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Oxford White & Blue Stripes
Not a chance... I own an Auto GS Vette but for me a Mustang especially a GT350 shouldn't be anything other than a good ole stick shift! An Auto may be faster yes in some situations but it's not even remotely as good of a driving experience. An Auto GT350 would be a good option for people that can't drive stick and people with say bad knees or something like that though. Just not for this guy :cheers:
The driving experience - exactly! While the GT350 can be topped by other vehicles in specific areas, it's the total package that thrills me. The car is a hoot and the stick is part of the fun. Good old American muscle with a heavy dose of 21st century technology.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
I tried the 8 speed in the C7 and was bored to death. I think if you are raised on a manual it is just in your blood. The only thing I would add is the option to have rev match switch on or off. I watched the Mustang GT4 with paddle shifters during the conti race. That's a place where you need them.

Sponsored

Deca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I would like it only for the sound (DSG), but would anyway get boring..

why this poll btw? is there talk of an automatic option going forward in the gt350?

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Definitely not. Have owned conventional torque converter auto's before, manuals, and a DCT car in my late AMG, but I was dying to get back into a manual.

There is just something incredibly satisfying about shifting a manual car perfectly, nailing a perfect downshift, and just more involving in regards to making you think and plan ahead in regards to what gear you want to be in for the upcoming corner or to pass on any freeway/roadway. DCT cars might be quicker, but they'll never ever be as rewarding or as fun to drive.

OP
OP
Mike02z

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I tried the 8 speed in the C7 and was bored to death. I think if you are raised on a manual it is just in your blood. The only thing I would add is the option to have rev match switch on or off. I watched the Mustang GT4 with paddle shifters during the conti race. That's a place where you need them.
That A8 transmission has multiple issues. Bad torque converters, Slamming into gear, Paddles are slow as a snail. The A6 was a better trans. That was only available in 14 for the C7.

The Rev match sounds like a good idea but the execution on the C7 leaves something to be desired. It would jump the revs at times going from 1st to 2nd I had multiple issues with this and finally turned it off.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mike02z

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
I would like it only for the sound (DSG), but would anyway get boring..

why this poll btw? is there talk of an automatic option going forward in the gt350?
No. I was just curious. I used to spend a lot of time on the Corvette forum and I put the same poll in the C7 section and 70% said they preferred the slush box:doh:

Lexluther

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350
Manuel shifting is becoming increasingly rare as only the die hards must have them. MFG's have realized wives or less skilled drivers or simply those that have the money but no desire to go fast have a say and MGF's must offer an option as not to hinder sales. I think an auto is the natural progression for 2 reasons. Quicker numbers to publish to sell cars and broader audience to sell cars. At the end of the day what do MFG's want to do? Sell cars

Beyond opinion and into fact:

You must also remember that Ford and Chevy co-designed the 10spd auto which will ended up in the 6th gen camaro ZL1 which shifts quicker than the Porsche PDK. The other camaro's have tremec TR3160 which is the same as the GT350.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tremec_TR-3160_transmission

The line is clearly drawn that if both Camaro and GT350 have a TR3160 so both should be able to physically run the 10-spd auto.

The article below cites 2018 as the year the co-developed 10-spd end up on a ford and mustang specifically. No other 6th gen camaro even has an option for the 10-spd other than the ZL1 presumably due to cost. Apply the same market reasoning to the mustang and only the 2018 GT350 should offer the option. I think no Mustang GT owner complains about their auto as they buy the manual and those seeking more performance buys the GT350. The rest of the audience want the look and persona include the convertibles and there is no real issue with the current auto. With Trump in office with his EPA views and the hybrid mustang coming out Ford won't spend the extra money discontinuing the current auto to have the 10-spd across the board to meet CAFE numbers which come with tax credits to offset cost. Ford is clearly dropping combined MPG CAFE numbers from all the cars they make to get tax credits to target the tax credits for Hybrids. They need this for asian and european markets as cars are taxed on engine displacement and emissions production. The Cali folks will also buy in domestically as well so that will be a broad world offering due to costs.

In any event all roads points to a 10-spd for 2018. The manuals will hold their value for the purist so I don't think of the auto as a threat rather just an option. The GT350 is not a drag car so manual is lighter for the track while the auto quicker shifting which should be about equal. The only SLIGHT derailment would be if Ford introduces a GT500 than as a drag car the auto makes the only sense with power number exceeding 700hp. However consider the higher production numbers of the non-serialized ZL1 vs GT350 limited serialized production it also makes sense that both GT350 and GT500 getting the auto would be best to offset costs and justify production.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/07/mustang-camaro-to-use-same-10-speed.html

actionjackson83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
white
I'd consider it but likely will be how I feel on the test drive for both transmissions. Living in LA sucks for sure for slushing a manual around on a daily driver, that's the only reason I'd ever consider an auto otherwise if I lived in a rural area it would be a no brainer manual all day.
Sponsored