Sponsored

Full Tilt Boogie GT350 Brake Conversion Kit Install

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Not knocking the 350 brakes at all.

I have the FTB stud kit on my car as well.

As far as price goes I agree, the rear brake conversion is a steal compared to anything else aftermarket. However I think if I was a GTPP owner I would be less inclined to upgrade the fronts.

If your a serious racer where weight was a concern I would agree. For someone like me who isn't concerned with weight and coming from non PP brakes it makes more sense going straight to GT350 brakes. Assuming your fine with having to use 19" wheels that is and yes, the selection of 19" wheels is less using these but there are still plenty of options.

On my 05 I went with Willwood and it was more expensive than this kit and in my experience not even close to the fit, finish and performance of these.

Yes the calipers need to come off to change the pads but you have 2 options to help make it more tolerable. One, Optimum Performance has 10" long bolts which you thread in to the mounting bolt holes when changing pads allowing you to slide the caliper up the bolts. I would use a vice grip on the bolt to hold it in place to change the pads then slide the caliper back down the bolts into place. Two, there is a stud kit available to help by simply removing 2 nuts to remove the caliper and swap the pads. I know neither is as easy as pins and the ability to just pull the pads out but they are good options. For me, I don't race and do 4,000 miles a year so it's a non issue.

Personally I don't think there is a better brake kit for the value of this one. Most other options have you spending the cost of this kit just to get fronts.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Not knocking the 350 brakes at all.

I have the FTB stud kit on my car as well.

As far as price goes I agree, the rear brake conversion is a steal compared to anything else aftermarket. However I think if I was a GTPP owner I would be less inclined to upgrade the fronts.
Agreed, not as much need to do the fronts if you already have PP fronts. One could consider powder coating the PP calipers black and get black GT350 rears or red and get red GT350 rears. I would want the full set so the rotors would match but I have OCD when it comes to that lol.

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Why not just get the backpad of your wheel shaved down 1/4"?

The brakes look great - I may end up doing just the rears; I change pads too often to go through the hassle on the fronts of removing the caliper each time.
Well, for me I have a local friend who wants my wheels so I'm ordering a new set at almost no cost to me (just new TPMS and mount $ balance) so it gives me a chance to consider a new looking wheel. I would have looked into doing exactly that if I didn't have this option. I have no idea how or where to get them shaved though so I'm happy how it's working out.

I totally understand the changing pad thing for you guys who need frequent and quick pad swaps. I think it's the one design flaw with this kit and I'm quite surprised they went this route. Maybe it's needed for strength based on size of the pads but it would have been nice if they could have figured out a way to keep the traditional Brembo style quick pin swap.

FTB did a great job putting this kit together for us and having the ability to buy it as a complete kit like I did or as a stand alone front or rear kit. Most everyone can fufill their needs with these options.

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
i really like this upgrade, if i do get another Mustang and not a Shelby i will def buy this kit, just waiting to move south before i get something new. the caliper bridge is designed for strength and to stop flex, some OEM brembo calipers have removable bridge pins but when they are cast with the fixed bridge they are stronger, all of the aftermarket brembo kits are this design as well. yes pad changes take longer but most of us are not swapping pads all the time.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Its more work finding wheels but you can still get 11"

I am getting 19x10 front and 19x11 rear
Thanks for the info. Wheels is definitely something I keep going back to when I'm looking at brakes. For now, my stock brakes are fine but I know that won't be true once I start getting more aggressive.

I was going to get a different booster but decided to try it first. I also read that on Ford Racing's description but I have not seen that mentioned elsewhere so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I figure if I had issues I'd change it then but I have no issues and it works perfectly. There would be no reason to change the master cylinder though the only difference with those are either manual with clutch line or auto without. The booster would be the only difference if any at all
I didn't even think about the booster even though it was a subject of discussion not long ago. Glad to hear it is working out for you. Once you bed the rotors, do you intend on "testing" the brakes to see how much of a difference between the GT350 and the GT brakes? I'm wondering how different the response will be compared to the GT350 guys. Time to whip out the track apps and see what my stock car can do versus your GT350 brakes.

If your a serious racer where weight was a concern I would agree. For someone like me who isn't concerned with weight and coming from non PP brakes it makes more sense going straight to GT350 brakes. Assuming your fine with having to use 19" wheels that is and yes, the selection of 19" wheels is less using these but there are still plenty of options.

On my 05 I went with Willwood and it was more expensive than this kit and in my experience not even close to the fit, finish and performance of these.

Yes the calipers need to come off to change the pads but you have 2 options to help make it more tolerable. One, Optimum Performance has 10" long bolts which you thread in to the mounting bolt holes when changing pads allowing you to slide the caliper up the bolts. I would use a vice grip on the bolt to hold it in place to change the pads then slide the caliper back down the bolts into place. Two, there is a stud kit available to help by simply removing 2 nuts to remove the caliper and swap the pads. I know neither is as easy as pins and the ability to just pull the pads out but they are good options. For me, I don't race and do 4,000 miles a year so it's a non issue.

Personally I don't think there is a better brake kit for the value of this one. Most other options have you spending the cost of this kit just to get fronts.
Personally, I doubt I would mess with brake pad swaps myself though I DD mine. My biggest issue was clearance and what wheels to use with these though the price point helps significantly.

This thread is awesome, great info on here! Hope FTB sent you some swag for this :thumbsup:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. Wheels is definitely something I keep going back to when I'm looking at brakes. For now, my stock brakes are fine but I know that won't be true once I start getting more aggressive.

I didn't even think about the booster even though it was a subject of discussion not long ago. Glad to hear it is working out for you. Once you bed the rotors, do you intend on "testing" the brakes to see how much of a difference between the GT350 and the GT brakes? I'm wondering how different the response will be compared to the GT350 guys. Time to whip out the track apps and see what my stock car can do versus your GT350 brakes.

Personally, I doubt I would mess with brake pad swaps myself though I DD mine. My biggest issue was clearance and what wheels to use with these though the price point helps significantly.

This thread is awesome, great info on here! Hope FTB sent you some swag for this :thumbsup:

You're welcome and it was my pleasure to make this thread. I enjoy doing this sort of thing and helping others make their decisions.

Honestly I just ordered the PP brake booster to complete the kit. I assure you everything has been working right out of the box, its just for the $70 PP booster I didn't want to worry. Ford Racing states if you have an auto car and are upgrading to the PP brakes you need to change the brake booster to the PP version for everything to work properly. The manual car already has the correct booster they say so it's only the auto cars that need to do this. They mention changing the front ABS sensors to the ones from the PP but my research shows the the front sensors are the same on all mustangs no matter what version you have (except GT350) and all cars including GT350 have the same rear sensors. That said I believe the only difference between GT350 and other mustang fronts ABS sensors it due to the knuckle difference only.

I am in the same boat, I will not be changing pads very often at all so it's no concern to me. Wheels weren't an issue for me because the ones I have fit perfectly anyway. Well, besides offset that is.

I would love some FTB swag :clap2: but I did this for us :cheers:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
If I was a GTPP owner or a non pp GT owner I'd use the oem GT PP brakes with two piece discs and do the black anodized rear GT350 kit to match.At that point they will be lighter than the GT350 setup.

Also with the GT350 setup you must remove the front calipers to swap pads. This has become a pain in the ass which is part of the reason why I'm going to a new AP kit.

Another huge benefit is that the GT PP can clear many 18" wheels, the Gt350 ones cannot clear any 18s and some 19"s may not clear as well.
The GT350 rotors are 30 pounds front each. 19 pounds each rear. You will not find a better brake system for less or more money! Your also gonna have a hard time finding something much lighter with an aluminum hat and iron rotor. Try finding a 15.5" and 15" rotors at the cost of replacement as the GT350. Good luck. A two piece iron front ring set is $1000.00 I can buy many sets of oem GT350 rotors for that and don't have to waste time swapping rings from hats.
Also the GT350 one piece monoblock caliper is stiffer then most 2 piece calipers.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
The GT350 rotors are 30 pounds front each. 19 pounds each rear. You will not find a better brake system for less or more money! Your also gonna have a hard time finding something much lighter with an aluminum hat and iron rotor. Try finding a 15.5" and 15" rotors at the cost of replacement as the GT350. Good luck. A two piece iron front ring set is $1000.00 I can buy many sets of oem GT350 rotors for that and don't have to waste time swapping rings from hats.
Also the GT350 one piece monoblock caliper is stiffer then most 2 piece calipers.
Look at the FP350S. Those are the exact brakes I ordered.

They shave quite a bit of weight and allow for smaller wheels.

It's not about the cost.

The AP kit allows for pad changes in half the time or less, less weight, more wheel options, and pad replacements are half the price as well as a much bigger selection of choices.

And most of all the oem brembo brakes are street brakes that can be used at the track. This means they have dust boots that will fail as mine have. The next thing to go is the seals.

I've been down this road many times and for what I do with my car it makes more sense to switch to a race oriented kit that's proven by ford performance

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

It's not about the cost.

The AP kit allows for pad changes in half the time or less, less weight, more wheel options, and pad replacements are half the price as well as a much bigger selection of choices.

And most of all the oem brembo brakes are street brakes that can be used at the track. This means they have dust boots that will fail as mine have. The next thing to go is the seals.

I've been down this road many times and for what I do with my car it makes more sense to switch to a race oriented kit that's proven by ford performance
I'm aware of the AP brakes. But on a Shelby GT350 knuckle you can also swap pads without technically removing the caliper if you have the studs. Granted you have to remove the nuts and slide the caliper reward, it still does not have to be pulled from the knuckle. It still only takes a minute to do. The GT350 brakes have proven to be excellent. I have yet to hear of any track rat have a piston seal / boot fail. At most you'll save 1/2 pound when compared to the same size rotors.
If price isn't a concern as you say, you have many choices in wheels. I have forgeline GA1R open lugs. The reason why the GT4 and FR350S run the 18" wheels is for class rules.

Do you have a link for the FR350S / GT4 brake system? I have not yet seen it available or talked about anywhere except the SEMA PRI info.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm aware of the AP brakes. But on a Shelby GT350 knuckle you can also swap pads without technically removing the caliper if you have the studs. Granted you have to remove the nuts and slide the caliper reward, it still does not have to be pulled from the knuckle. It still only takes a minute to do. The GT350 brakes have proven to be excellent. I have yet to hear of any track rat have a piston seal / boot fail. At most you'll save 1/2 pound when compared to the same size rotors.
If price isn't a concern as you say, you have many choices in wheels. I have forgeline GA1R open lugs. The reason why the GT4 and FR350S run the 18" wheels is for class rules.

Do you have a link for the FR350S / GT4 brake system? I have not yet seen it available or talked about anywhere except the SEMA PRI info.
It happens on all factory brakes. Dust boots will never hold up to track abuse, it's a known fact.

The GT350 brakes are great but like I said I've been down this road and have always saved going to a race kit off the bat.

No only from what I know from my friend at Essex Parts.

This is essentially the same kit that the FR350s uses except for the brackets and aluminum hats.

https://www.essexparts.com/essex-de...tition-brake-kit-front-cp9660372mm-gen5camaro

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
It happens on all factory brakes. Dust boots will never hold up to track abuse, it's a known fact.

The GT350 brakes are great but like I said I've been down this road and have always saved going to a race kit off the bat.

This is essentially the same kit that the FR350s uses except for the brackets and aluminum hats.

https://www.essexparts.com/essex-de...tition-brake-kit-front-cp9660372mm-gen5camaro
I'm not disagreeing with you. But I know some guys that seriously track their GT350/R and have yet to have any brake issues.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I'm not disagreeing with you. But I know some guys that seriously track their GT350/R and have yet to have any brake issues.
It's not an issue yet but I know what will happen next. There's a reason other than weight savings and size that the GT350S doesn't use the oem brakes. Nor does any race car.

Gatorac

Chin Tack Days Event Mgr
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium GTPP Triple Yellow
So if I decided to upgrade the rear and keep the stock PP fronts, I wonder if the stock PP wheel will work on the rear? There is plenty of clearance on a PP to move the wheel out 5/16".

OP
OP
Jmeo

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So if I decided to upgrade the rear and keep the stock PP fronts, I wonder if the stock PP wheel will work on the rear? There is plenty of clearance on a PP to move the wheel out 5/16".
I just sold my current wheels and tires to a friend who was using 23mm spacers on his PP wheels on his PP car. Part of the deal was for me to use his spacers and wheels in the meantime while I wait for my new wheels. I tried both his PP wheels and my 19" black appearance package wheels and neither would fit without the spacers both front and rear. The calipers would hit the back of the spokes before the wheel would slide fully on. Oddly enough the PP wheels would not the front fit even with the spacers but the black appearance package ones did. The barrel is what wouldn't clear the caliper, it rubbed at the bottom of the caliper. I did not try the PP wheel in the rear with the spacer at this point because I didn't wanna run two different wheels.

So, I'm my experience the GT PP wheels will not fit.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase

It's not about the cost.

So, if I can ask, what did you order exactly? Was it this?
Sponsored