Sponsored

GT350 Brake conversion for looks

RoyaalT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 2
I also pulled the trigger on the GT350 brake upgrade. I wanted to do this before I knew a kit existed. Surprisingly there was very little knowledge of how to do this. A big constraint for me was the price. It was not until I was able to score a deal on calipers that I pulled the trigger, but even then the cost savings were negligible. You simply cannot find better prices even just for replacement parts like rotors than you find at FTB. The only thing that cost more than the dealership was the pins and bracket for the caliper brake pads, and even then it was worth it to buy since FTB went through so much trouble to put together a custom package for me for the remaining kit pieces I needed.

As I stated before my motivation was for looks more than anything else. I did not believe the front calipers on the GT Brembo vs the GT350 were much different, and boy was I wrong. More to come later on this. This might have been the longest brake job ever I started on January 21st and the car was not braking again until February 9th. I'll go through my process with photos of course. I guess not tonight as iPhoto and my iPhone don't want to seem to work together. More to follow.

-- I finally figured out how to insert photos :clap2: --

I had initially tore the car down by removing calipers and rotors, disconnecting brake lines as well of course. Then I realized the rear needed to be broken down even more. This was the end result.

Most of my time was spent on the rear. This is where the most attention is needed. Unfortunately when my shipment arrived the directions did not accompany it and so I carried forward without it. This caused a painstaking setback that caused me to have to drop the exhaust three times.

What I did not realize was the emergency brake cable blocks access to the rear caliper bolts. So this should not be connected until the calipers and rotors are mounted up. As hard as I tried ultimately I would have to drop the exhaust again...in order to loosen the cable to take them back off.

I personally experienced a hard time bolting the rear calipers up, not only for jumping the gun but due to a really tight fit of the supplied bolts. Every turn was difficult. In the last picture, you can see the emergency cable line pinned off to the right. I did not upgrade my factory brake lines.

The front is really boring so I needed to spice it up some by going with a couple of ARP bolts from Caliperfexion.

The front is also the only area that required a custom bracket machined by FTB. Everything thing else in this conversion is factory, but again piecing it together yourself is going to be way more costly. You will also notice in the next two photos I did not remove the front ?dust cover?. I saw in the other coversion that was removed but I did not see any reason to remove it.

In the photo above you can see the FTB bracket mounted up using factory GT caliper hardware.

So why did I spring for the ARP bolts?
1. Just that little extra bit of exclusivity
2. Quality
3. The rear pads can be changed without removing the caliper (thank God!), but the front pads cannot be. These studs make it quicker if that matters to you

I received excellent support and care to install the ARP studs, but even still it did work out for me. I used the supplied blue Loctite that accompanied the studs. I thought I used way too much on the first one and had barely enough to finish the last one. A lot of time went by as I went back to troubleshooting the rears. Of course after two attempts the Loctite did not hold. (I'm sure it was user error.) I went back to the very first stud where I thought I had applied too much and that one broke free as well. Frustrated, I gave up and permanently married them up to the bracket with red Loctite. I couldn't come up with any reason why I would need to separate them.

I'm showing you from this angle as well so you can see the studs will bottom out (as seen in the previous photo) and will protrude from the opposite side as well. I know there was some concern about this because they were originally engineered for factor GT350 cars and not for the GT conversions. I'm like 1 of 2 I believe :).

The concern was (I believe) would there still be enough thread to properly cap off the stud with the nut. The pic below shows (attempts to show) that nut will fit on the stud and go beyond flush once fully torqued down.

After everything, the setbacks and frustrations came a major problem - one I ignored from the very beginning that would also contribute to the lengthy conversion time. The wheels did not fit. I was in denial since the Roush wheels were a factory upgrade. This also brings me back to my earlier statement about the front calipers being so much more bigger than the GT Brembo's. Neither the front or rear would fit after upgrading. I had plenty of sidewall coverage. The problem was the spokes would not clear.

I was not going to buy new wheels, so I decided to solve the problem with spacers. I messed up here too because I got a set up 1/8in spacers and tested the rear, determined they would work and went to bed seeing how late it was. I would later find out the 1/8in spacer was far from enough for the front caliper. I would have to order another set in 1/4in to clear the fronts.

Two attempts later after trying to get a pedal back I gave up and had the brakes bled.

Since there is already a write up on how to do this by [MENTION=8761]Jmeo[/MENTION], I tried to focus mine on the lessons learned, the challenges faced, and subtle details that may help someone know they are either on the right track or the wrong one. As a side note, the directions do come with torque specifications. I had a torque wrench that would only go up to 150ft lbs. I interpreted everything on the sheet as ft lbs and several settings far exceeded 150lbs. Short story is I ended up snapping what I believe was the upper control arm bolt. You can't just go down to the local hardware store or parts store and pick up another one of these.

I am happy to answer any questions regarding this conversion.
Sponsored

Last edited:

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
If honest to god GT350 calipers...

Should be completely different caliper to spindle mounting along with a different hub spacing.

OP
OP

RoyaalT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 2
Status update:
After getting the pedal back I took to the road on a 4 hour trip. Not much braking on the highway, but there was one instance where I went to get on it and quickly realized traffic was coming to a complete stop. I went to use my super brakes and that's where things got a bit scary and squirrely. When attempting a hard stop the rear end felt like it was coming out from behind and the car got a little sideways. I had to immediately let off to save it and quickly change lanes for some more room.

This being said, I know there have been previous talks about proportioning and I'm not certain this is an issue -- yet, but I do need to find some place to test the brakes properly to ensure they are dialed in.

I also developed a squeal while on this trip. Lesson learned don't be stingy with the pad lube. I'm certain its the rear so I'll have to address that as well at some point.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RoyaalT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 2
If honest to god GT350 calipers...

Should be completely different caliper to spindle mounting along with a different hub spacing.
That would be a correct statement.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I'm glad a few other people took the dive in and did it before I had the chance. It sounds like this conversion is overall a giant headache with a bunch of small gotchas. I think I'll hold off and powdercoat a set of PP brakes and use two piece rotors instead.

Great write up though. Your process sounds like the way I operate. Seemingly simple things morph into projects that take way longer than they should.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Nice job [MENTION=28412]RoyaalT[/MENTION] :thumbsup:

I did not get the wheel studs as I will not change my pads often enough to need them but mostly because [MENTION=22413]Optimum Performance[/MENTION] supplied long allen bolts to thread into the adaptors so I will simps have to slide the caliper up and onto the bolts to change the pads. The caliper will never have to come completely off doing it this way.

Not sure what happened in your braking event but i have had my car up to some good speeds and have mashed the stop pedal hard and have heard and felt the rear ABS working and my car never slid out in the rear.

Anyway, time to enjoy :headbang:

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad a few other people took the dive in and did it before I had the chance. It sounds like this conversion is overall a giant headache with a bunch of small gotchas. I think I'll hold off and powdercoat a set of PP brakes and use two piece rotors instead.

Great write up though. Your process sounds like the way I operate. Seemingly simple things morph into projects that take way longer than they should.
Well, I can tell you this is a very straight forward swap. The fronts are stupid easy to do. The rears are not that bad either imho. Dropping the exhaust to get to the E-brake cable adjustment and not putting it back on untill done will ensure you only do it once. Swapping out the knuckle was also straight forward, especially if you've been here before like installing LCA bearings or axles or the like. I had no issues getting the rears on at all, just have to disassemble a bit to do it.

My only advice would be to do axles, knuckle bearings, LCA bearings or an other rear IRS part at the same time (if you were planning on doing them anyway) and the extra steps needed to do the rear brakes will be null and void since you had to disassemble to install the other parts anyway.

OP
OP

RoyaalT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 2
My only advice would be to do axles, knuckle bearings, LCA bearings or an other rear IRS part at the same time (if you were planning on doing them anyway) and the extra steps needed to do the rear brakes will be null and void since you had to disassemble to install the other parts anyway.
I completely agree here on the simultaneous axle swap and other suspension swaps. You won't want to get back in here afterward.

Sponsored
OP
OP

RoyaalT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 2
Nice job [MENTION=28412]RoyaalT[/MENTION] :thumbsup:
Not sure what happened in your braking event but i have had my car up to some good speeds and have mashed the stop pedal hard and have heard and felt the rear ABS working and my car never slid out in the rear.
I'm sure it was a fluke (at least I hope) I will do a few test brake runs to ensure the abs is operating as it should be.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Good to see you got everything in ok. Certainly isn't easy blazing trails where few others have gone.

RoyaalT said:
The front is really boring so I needed to spice it up some by going with a couple of ARP bolts from Caliperfexion.
Just to be clear, the studs are manufactured by MSI for Caliperfexion. They are not an ARP product. The 12 point nuts and hardened washers are from ARP though.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
My mate in the UK got this full kit and he drives the car seriously hard and drifts it a lot.

Traction system always off, always sideways, always crazy speed as he is stage 2 whipple, headers etc.

He had no issues with fitment and the car stops better than stock with no odd behaviour, he loves the kit and it looks killer, he painted the calipers triple yellow and did the brembo logo in black. Looks amazing on his triple yellow car with Cervini body kit and hood.
Sponsored