Sponsored

Test drove 2016 2SS Camaro today compared to Mustang GT

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Not real sure why you guys haven't put the troll on ignore yet? Dudes only purpose here is to pull on S550 owners chains.

The one was gone for a couple of days thought he went back to c6g to stay, dag he's back :frusty:
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I got a chance to drive a 2SS w/ the A8 today, just for the heck of it.

Here are my thoughts:

Positives/Unexpectedly good:
- The car does look better in the metal right up close. I had not previously gotten closer than about 20 ft from one to judge. It's still not my thing and looks like a teenage fantasy car in terms of styling.
- The infotainment/Mylink is actually very good. The menus are very responsive and brightly colored. The placement with its significant angle down is a bit odd, though. Why didn't they angle it a little toward the driver, too?
- HUD. Yeah, that's really cool and I wish I had it.
- Steering wheel size and shape. It's noticeably smaller than the Mustang, and a has a very pronounced flat bottom. It feels like a great size for a sports car.
- Center armrest pad extends far enough to rest your elbow on and keep hands on the weel
- The car I drove did not have the NPP exhaust, but it did sound pretty good and pleasantly, increased in volume proportionally to throttle quite well. It has characteristics and volume of what a stock exhaust should be for the Mustang. Almost all the engine volume was exhaust note, and it was clearly coming from behind you. Of course no drone or anything like that. The Mustang's exhaust is far too quiet and the induction sound too much, IMO.

The bad:
- Visibility - yes, it's that bad. The window sill is at least 2 inches, perhaps closer to 3 inches, higher than the Mustang, with the roof being slightly lower (the tank effect). It does seem better than the last gen because the door is closer to you. The rear 3/4 view is non-existent, and the rear glass is very small. The hood is about the same to see over as the Mustang. When I got back in the GT, I thought "Oh wow, I can see!". There is so much more glass. The windows are taller and longer, the windshield has a lot more area to see out of, and the rear glass is at least 25% wider and taller.
- Steering wheel material - if that is leather I'd like to know what kind, as it feels terrible. It was somewhat hard, slick to the touch and not nice to grip (no texture).
- The A/C vent positioning is impractical and doesn't work well. You can't get any air blowing to your face from the center vents without turning it up very high on fan speed. Why you'd put vents that low is beyond me. The dial adjustment for temp is cool, though.
- The A8 transmission was slow to respond to paddle inputs, even in sport mode.
- The throttle pedal was much too heavy, perhaps just an auto trans thing? I'd find it very difficult to modulate the throttle precisely with this pedal.
- The seat bolstering was inadequate on the torso and too firm/odd on the seat bottom. I'd want much better seats for any kind of performance driving, whereas I'm actually pretty happy with the stock GT seats in those circumstances.
- The wiper/signal stalks are GM parts pin specials and feel like they were designed in about 3 minutes by some 70 year old that just wants simple and plain. They function fine.
- Headroom. I had the seat as low as I would put it to see over the hood decently well, and there's no way I could put a helmet on. That's probably because of the sunroof on this car, but I am not certain I'd be able to get one on without that, either.
- Rear seat room is definitely less than the Mustang. People can sit in the back in the GT, with craned heads, but they can physically get in the seat. They would not be able to in the Camaro with any reasonable person in the front seats.
- Trunk opening is laughably small. The Mustang's is difficult enough to fit big stuff in, but I've only encountered a few objects that won't fit. There is a distinct and significant difference here in terms of daily use.
- Overall interior design - It looks designed by committee rather than by a single, small design team guided by one chief designer who's duty is to make sure there's design harmony everywhere. Stuff looks tacked on or afterthought, and I was not a fan of the button spread below the screen and above the vents. I like to have all those types of buttons be in a cluster. The materials honestly didn't feel in any way nicer than a GT premium, and in some areas worse, IMO. I really don't get those that think it's all that great in this respect. It's certainly better than it was, but nothing at all to rave about.
- Price: $43.5k....I can get a GT PP premium, stickier rubber, some suspension mods and a tune and still have a good chunk of change left over, plus a nicer looking car inside and out that is more practical and usable every day. Or, I can get a base GT PP and save a huge bundle and still have nearly as nice a car to sit in.

Performance:
I did not have a chance to test the handling at any more than 6-7 tenths, but it did definitely feel measured, composed and grippy. I am sure it's good on the track. The brakes are good too (4 piston Brembos). That said, I have recently spent some time driving a friend's GT PP that is stock with the exception of the BMR CB005 cradle lockout kit, and they felt very similar. I've also driven a GT350 and it was similarly composed at the kinds of speeds I was doing. This car did not have the mag ride.
The low-end torque is very nice from the LT1. I did not get to really stretch its legs to see how the power felt, but I'm sure it's a little quicker than the GT. I didn't like the sound as much as the Coyote, but it does sound good.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4

Here are my thoughts:

Positives/Unexpectedly good:
- The car does look better in the metal right up close. I had not previously gotten closer than about 20 ft from one to judge. It's still not my thing and looks like a teenage fantasy car in terms of styling.
- The infotainment/Mylink is actually very good. The menus are very responsive and brightly colored. The placement with its significant angle down is a bit odd, though. Why didn't they angle it a little toward the driver, too?
- HUD. Yeah, that's really cool and I wish I had it.
- Steering wheel size and shape. It's noticeably smaller than the Mustang, and a has a very pronounced flat bottom. It feels like a great size for a sports car.
- Center armrest pad extends far enough to rest your elbow on and keep hands on the weel
- The car I drove did not have the NPP exhaust, but it did sound pretty good and pleasantly, increased in volume proportionally to throttle quite well. It has characteristics and volume of what a stock exhaust should be for the Mustang. Almost all the engine volume was exhaust note, and it was clearly coming from behind you. Of course no drone or anything like that. The Mustang's exhaust is far too quiet and the induction sound too much, IMO.

The bad:
- Visibility - yes, it's that bad. The window sill is at least 2 inches, perhaps closer to 3 inches, higher than the Mustang, with the roof being slightly lower (the tank effect). It does seem better than the last gen because the door is closer to you. The rear 3/4 view is non-existent, and the rear glass is very small. The hood is about the same to see over as the Mustang. When I got back in the GT, I thought "Oh wow, I can see!". There is so much more glass. The windows are taller and longer, the windshield has a lot more area to see out of, and the rear glass is at least 25% wider and taller.
- Steering wheel material - if that is leather I'd like to know what kind, as it feels terrible. It was somewhat hard, slick to the touch and not nice to grip (no texture).
- The A/C vent positioning is impractical and doesn't work well. You can't get any air blowing to your face from the center vents without turning it up very high on fan speed. Why you'd put vents that low is beyond me. The dial adjustment for temp is cool, though.
- The A8 transmission was slow to respond to paddle inputs, even in sport mode.
- The throttle pedal was much too heavy, perhaps just an auto trans thing? I'd find it very difficult to modulate the throttle precisely with this pedal.
- The seat bolstering was inadequate on the torso and too firm/odd on the seat bottom. I'd want much better seats for any kind of performance driving, whereas I'm actually pretty happy with the stock GT seats in those circumstances.
- The wiper/signal stalks are GM parts pin specials and feel like they were designed in about 3 minutes by some 70 year old that just wants simple and plain. They function fine.
- Headroom. I had the seat as low as I would put it to see over the hood decently well, and there's no way I could put a helmet on. That's probably because of the sunroof on this car, but I am not certain I'd be able to get one on without that, either.
- Rear seat room is definitely less than the Mustang. People can sit in the back in the GT, with craned heads, but they can physically get in the seat. They would not be able to in the Camaro with any reasonable person in the front seats.
- Trunk opening is laughably small. The Mustang's is difficult enough to fit big stuff in, but I've only encountered a few objects that won't fit. There is a distinct and significant difference here in terms of daily use.
- Overall interior design - It looks designed by committee rather than by a single, small design team guided by one chief designer who's duty is to make sure there's design harmony everywhere. Stuff looks tacked on or afterthought, and I was not a fan of the button spread below the screen and above the vents. I like to have all those types of buttons be in a cluster. The materials honestly didn't feel in any way nicer than a GT premium, and in some areas worse, IMO. I really don't get those that think it's all that great in this respect. It's certainly better than it was, but nothing at all to rave about.
- Price: $43.5k....I can get a GT PP premium, stickier rubber, some suspension mods and a tune and still have a good chunk of change left over, plus a nicer looking car inside and out that is more practical and usable every day. Or, I can get a base GT PP and save a huge bundle and still have nearly as nice a car to sit in.

Performance:
I did not have a chance to test the handling at any more than 6-7 tenths, but it did definitely feel measured, composed and grippy. I am sure it's good on the track. The brakes are good too (4 piston Brembos). That said, I have recently spent some time driving a friend's GT PP that is stock with the exception of the BMR CB005 cradle lockout kit, and they felt very similar. I've also driven a GT350 and it was similarly composed at the kinds of speeds I was doing. This car did not have the mag ride.
The low-end torque is very nice from the LT1. I did not get to really stretch its legs to see how the power felt, but I'm sure it's a little quicker than the GT. I didn't like the sound as much as the Coyote, but it does sound good.
That's one of the better reviews of the new Camaro I've read. Nice writeup, BmacIL.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P

Here are my thoughts:
Nice, logical, well reasoned assessment with plenty of details and narrative (i.e., not "GM sucks ..." :D)

(You're an engineer aren't you?)

I had about the same reaction (though I drove a manual), i.e., interior was an explosion of design languages, totally lacking cohesion, the car isn't bad looking on an actual walk around, still a little weird on some proportions, the view is horrendous (I haven't been in a convertible, assume it's about the same or worse with the top up), engine sounds good, HUD and NPP are neat.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Nice, logical, well reasoned assessment with plenty of details and narrative (i.e., not "GM sucks ..." :D)

I had about the same reaction (though I drove a manual), i.e., interior was an explosion of design languages, totally lacking cohesion, the car isn't bad looking on an actual walk around, still a little weird on some proportions, the view is horrendous (I haven't been in a convertible, assume it's about the same or worse with the top up), engine sounds good, HUD and NPP are neat.
:D:headbang::cheers:

It doesn't make sense to try and evaluate a car on an emotional basis other than probably exterior looks and how the performance makes you feel (i.e. is it fun?). I try to look at these things and break them down logically, even if they're subjective...not just "I don't like it", but, "here's what I don't like, why and if it's not obvious, what I'd like better".

Overall, it's a massive improvement over the 5th gen, and I get the appeal, but I think they're still missing a lot in terms of what drives value to people, particularly in this segment. Certainly a great performance vehicle, but not one I'd want to live with.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I drove both manual and 8 speed auto. I liked the manual better. Go figure? But if I was in the market I'd get the automatic. I traded a 5th gen Camaro because I couldn't stand to be inside the thing. Nothing has changed about the 6th gen. Visibility still stinks. It was a nice driving car. I rag on the Camaros a lot. But ive always liked Camaros. Performance is there and the exhaust sounds much better than the Mustang stock. I wouldn't trade my Mustang. I'm loving this car!:love:

CJ4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base 6MT
Got a chance to drive a 1SS a couple days ago for the fun of it and had a few impressions I felt like sharing:

1. Exhaust note: I really wish the Mustang GT had come with a better factory exhaust. When in sport mode, the exhaust note from the Camaro was excellent. Nothing going to the aftermarket won't fix, but they should have put a more aggressive exhaust in the GT IMO. Even an active exhaust would have been a good way to go to make the conservative crowd and the more aggressive audience happy as well.

2. Technology: I have a base GT (no bells and whistles), and the base Camaro has a lot more tech. Touchscreen center console, electronic speedometer, different driving modes etc. I personally like tech in general, and I feel like at least the different driving modes should be standard on the GT as well. Granted, the Camaro is also quite a bit more expensive, so maybe that's why.

3. Visibility: Its terrible. Seriously terrible. The Mustang is world's better as far as every-day maneuverability.

4. Engine: The Coyote 5.0 still feels like a more special engine. Just something about the nature of it, although the LT1 definitely has quite a lot more low end torque. The difference in the low RPM range is definitely pretty apparent.

5. Chasis confidence: Once again, I have the base GT (no performance pack), and the base 1SS camaro felt like it handled a fair bit better stock for stock. The mustang felt noticeably floatier and less buttoned-down.

6. Looks: I think the Mustang still looks a lot better from the outside. Just a better looking car, although thats always subjective.

johna428

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT auto. 3:55. 1969 fairlane cobra 428, 4 speed drag pack car
2016 triple yellow GT auto, 3:55 gears bone stock have been running in the 12.7's and was beat by a new Camaro by .001 due to my great r/t and a 12.68. put on a set of summer tires last Friday night and put away a 480 HP charger with my 12.618 to his 12.69 and than a Camaro with a 12.611 to his 12.65. Still bone stock. 111 mph. i'm looking for 11's with street tires and some simple changes. hopefully fords 2nd package, exhaust, springs and maybe the 350 intake if I have to.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
6. Looks: I think the Mustang still looks a lot better from the outside. Just a better looking car, although thats always subjective.
I'm sorry, that is NOT subjective in this case.

The camaro is ugly...

You had it right... don't be ashamed to state the FACTs as they are.

:amen:

P.S. and did anyone mention you can't see out the thing? My goodness...

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I remember sitting in a 6G Camaro at a car show last January and thinking the visibility was awful, but the memory had kind of faded over time. A couple of weeks ago someone had a rental Camaro convertible where I work and was trying to figure out how to open the top, and I got inside to see if I could figure it out - I was stunned by how poor the visibility was. Such a sliver of a front window, and at an odd angle, and was like being in a cave or something.

I'm sure, like anything, you could get used to it, but I can see why someone may be put off of buying one when they first get in it.

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
Got a chance to drive a 1SS a couple days ago for the fun of it and had a few impressions I felt like sharing:

1. Exhaust note: I really wish the Mustang GT had come with a better factory exhaust. When in sport mode, the exhaust note from the Camaro was excellent. Nothing going to the aftermarket won't fix, but they should have put a more aggressive exhaust in the GT IMO. Even an active exhaust would have been a good way to go to make the conservative crowd and the more aggressive audience happy as well.

2. Technology: I have a base GT (no bells and whistles), and the base Camaro has a lot more tech. Touchscreen center console, electronic speedometer, different driving modes etc. I personally like tech in general, and I feel like at least the different driving modes should be standard on the GT as well. Granted, the Camaro is also quite a bit more expensive, so maybe that's why.

3. Visibility: Its terrible. Seriously terrible. The Mustang is world's better as far as every-day maneuverability.

4. Engine: The Coyote 5.0 still feels like a more special engine. Just something about the nature of it, although the LT1 definitely has quite a lot more low end torque. The difference in the low RPM range is definitely pretty apparent.

5. Chasis confidence: Once again, I have the base GT (no performance pack), and the base 1SS camaro felt like it handled a fair bit better stock for stock. The mustang felt noticeably floatier and less buttoned-down.

I had an ls3 camaro and loved the low end torque, test drove a new ss manual and i really couldn't tell the difference compared to my current car. However my car is tuned by lund and has 3.73 gears. I feel like the tune and shorter gears make up for that torque loss. I haven't even tried e85 yet but, looks like the six gen mustang running E85 can best a stock camaro, especially manual vs manual and auto vs auto.

The visibility is a problem and was before but you can get use to it. Within a month of ownership in my old camaro, i was totally fine with it. It requires some time. My biggest concern with the mustang is the tranny. I prefer tremec over this "it might brake anytime wait for it" tranny. And NO a Thud during shifts is not normal, and shouldn't have happened.

Haha :lol: first time when that thud happened after i drove the car out of the dealer, i was at a stop light and it shook so hard that I thought the car behind me hit me. I even got out of the car to see what was going on. Ohhh man, brings back old memories :D

I m sure the new camaro has its own problems as well though.

classicrockr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2LT/RS HYper Blue Convertible Camaro

After having a 5th gen vert & now a 6th gen vert, I don't have a problem at all with visibility. I've got the mirrors positioned so before something disappears from the rearview, I'm already picking it up in the side view mirrors. That was the big adjustment for me; adjusting the sideviews out more so as to eliminate the "blind spot".
And after using the a/c this summer, I found that the lower vents focus more on my upper torso and oddly enough, I typically cooled off quicker this way than when they're just blowing on my face. 50/50 on that one; personal preferences. BUT, those vents being lower eliminate any chance of a storage area there. I'd rather have had storage there than the vents.

Great objective review on the Camaro!

classicrockr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 2LT/RS HYper Blue Convertible Camaro
I don't think so on build quality.
That Camaro had a lot of noise (squeaks and rattles) from the front dash area.
Did not hear that with the Mustang.
The Camaro has poor visibility.
The rear windshield visibility is non-existent.
I'll agree about the noises/squeaks. My Camaro has 1 rattle that I can't figure out. In the right rear passenger area but it's only when I'm going over streets that are not smooth. I think I've narrowed it down to the panel that holds the license plate. From underneath, it appears that it's resting against the metal frame & when I go slowly over rougher streets I think it's vibrating against the frame.

bsb318 - I grew up in Dunedin. What I wouldn't give to be cruising over the Courtney Campbell with the top down....but I'm stationed in the middle of the NC woods.

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
I had an ls3 camaro and loved the low end torque, test drove a new ss manual and i really couldn't tell the difference compared to my current car. However my car is tuned by lund and has 3.73 gears. I feel like the tune and shorter gears make up for that torque loss. I haven't even tried e85 yet but, looks like the six gen mustang running E85 can best a stock camaro, especially manual vs manual and auto vs auto.

The visibility is a problem and was before but you can get use to it. Within a month of ownership in my old camaro, i was totally fine with it. It requires some time. My biggest concern with the mustang is the tranny. I prefer tremec over this "it might brake anytime wait for it" tranny. And NO a Thud during shifts is not normal, and shouldn't have happened.

Haha :lol: first time when that thud happened after i drove the car out of the dealer, i was at a stop light and it shook so hard that I thought the car behind me hit me. I even got out of the car to see what was going on. Ohhh man, brings back old memories :D

I m sure the new camaro has its own problems as well though.
Funny, I test drove a GTPP and I heard the thud going into gear especially at a stop. The sales guy said don't worry, it has to be broken in. Guess that is a characteristic of the MT82? Clutch is really light on the GT so no workout for me.

Power was felt at around 4.5k and it was fast enough for me. I never drove the SS so can't comment on that. But soon I'm still hoping to get into a 5.0 even if it's a bare bone one. I did finally see a 6th Gen Camaro driving in the opposite direction and it doesn't look bad. Look pretty mean.

In all honesty though, performance isn't everything which is why I never considered a Camaro. Mustang especially with the 3 tri-bar daytime running lights... BITCHIN! lol

This is a good battle.. The guy in the Stang cuts a 1.8 60 ft so he KNOWS how to shift. From a roll the M6 may have an advantage. Def a drivers race with a stock SS against a E85 5.0
[ame]

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Funny, I test drove a GTPP and I heard the thud going into gear especially at a stop. The sales guy said don't worry, it has to be broken in. Guess that is a characteristic of the MT82?
No, it's a characteristic of the Mustang IRS/driveline. The MT82 on the S197 cars didn't do the thud, and the GT350 with the Tremec makes the same noise when dropped into first.
Sponsored