Sponsored

Test drove 2016 2SS Camaro today compared to Mustang GT

bsb318

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f150 stx 4x4 5.0
Just for the heck of it , I test drove a 2016 2SS Camaro today and compared it to a 2016 Mustang GT premium I test drove recently.
Not impressed with the 2SS at all.
I will say that is puts you in the seat a bit more when accelerating but other than that I was unimpressed.
Chevrolet is again behind Ford when it comes to building a car.
I am just waiting for the next superstang for 2018 https://www.yahoo.com/tech/dodge-worry-ford-next-gen-170946185.html

I hope a 10 speed auto is an option and I am all over that.
Sponsored

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
I dunno, the 1SS/2SS is ALOT more powerful and I'd say the build quality is better than Ford. The only the Mustang has over the SS is price, exterior, interior design and heritage, which is actually alot. Let me rephrase that, the only thing the Camaro has over the Mustang is power and build quality.

OP
OP

bsb318

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 f150 stx 4x4 5.0
I don't think so on build quality.
That Camaro had a lot of noise (squeaks and rattles) from the front dash area.
Did not hear that with the Mustang.
The Camaro has poor visibility.
The rear windshield visibility is non-existent.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
I dunno, the 1SS/2SS is ALOT more powerful and I'd say the build quality is better than Ford. The only the Mustang has over the SS is price, exterior, interior design and heritage, which is actually alot. Let me rephrase that, the only thing the Camaro has over the Mustang is power and build quality.
I wouldn't say build quality is better lol.

Sponsored

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
It does have power. No doubts there. Build quality? I haven't inspected a new Camaro with that level of scrutiny but the last gen sure wasn't up to par. What, specifically, marked it as having a higher build quality to you?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

If you think build quality is better you'd better go over to c6g forum and do some reading. From what I have read over there the thing is poorly put together and barely painted.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
I test drove the 2016 2SS as well, before I bought my GT. I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually really liked the car. A lot. I thought that thing was fun as hell to drive. I'll admit the visibility sucks, and so does the rear seat room, but I still thought it was fun to drive.

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
If you think build quality is better you'd better go over to c6g forum and do some reading. From what I have read over there the thing is poorly put together and barely painted.
This. My neighbor is an insurance adjuster and has been telling me about the paint issues on those things.

PonyGrrrl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeanne
Vehicle(s)
16 Cadillac ATS V Coupe
The paint is pretty bad, the bumpers don't match the rest of the car. I've seen a few and the bumpers are noticeably lighter in color then the rest of the car.

Sponsored

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I test drove a 2016 1SS before I bought my base GT. In comparison I liked both but the GT was definitely ALOT easier to drive. Being somewhat short I could barely see over the dash in the 1SS. Rear and blind spots were bad too but manageable.

One thing for certain the SS v8 sounds a lot better and has a really nice rumble at idle. Especially stock exhaust I was impressed.

But for $10k more! Yeah right! I'll buy the GT thanks.

ThomasL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp Orange GT
I sat in an SS and was immediately turned off due to the fact I'm 6'5" 240lbs and didn't fit. It was very small inside. Interior seemed nice but my head was brushing the headliner. I still prefer the s550 looks and lines too.

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
I test drove the 2016 2SS as well, before I bought my GT. I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually really liked the car. A lot. I thought that thing was fun as hell to drive. I'll admit the visibility sucks, and so does the rear seat room, but I still thought it was fun to drive.
I feel the same way. I actually liked the Camaro. The gearbox felt way better than the MT82 and the power was good. The styling is getting old, the interior was cramped, visibility was terrible, the infotainment screen was clearly an after thought, the trunk was basically un-useable and the price tag was steep.

Really outside of the gearbox and power the Mustang won all of the other categories in my book.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
GM paint sucks...

This. My neighbor is an insurance adjuster and has been telling me about the paint issues on those things.
Here in MN...if you see a car or truck that has peeling paint...it's always a GM product...regardless of year.
Last year I bought a Silverado...because I was/and still am leery of the all aluminum Ford truck. Six weeks after taking delivery...palm sized pieces of paint on the cab top flaked off. The paint shop had to sand down the whole top to bare metal to get the new paint to bond correctly. The shop said they were getting at least a new truck a week in to repaint.
Sponsored