MT82 power level limits

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
hi guys, i've searched through the threads and couldn't find much info on how much power the MT82 can support. i have a 2016 GT MT and looking to do a headers back , CAI and tune with claimed increase from 420 hp to 530 hp. will i need to do anything else to support the increased power? thanks, tom
Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
youll be fine. i'm planning on doing headers, cai, and flex tune from lund in the near future, and some rear sub braces, k brace

seen a guy with most of that on the stock clutch and he was good , i mean if you dont track or beat the living hell out of it youll be good

V8EATR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
My car has 10k of beating it like I hate it and it just fine. Car has long tubes, full exhaust, cai, e85.

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
My car has 10k of beating it like I hate it and it just fine. Car has long tubes, full exhaust, cai, e85.
Good example of how we should all step in and stop Mustang abuse. For just pennies a day, we can help stop this abuse. Thanks for reading.

alrodri8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
My car has has been abused several with Mexico almost every weekend and 6k RPM clutch dumps at the track. So far at 19K miles and still strong. Only thing I've replaced is the clutch due to my pedal sticking to the floor at high RPMs at time at around 13k miles.

I believe Lethal has taken their MT82 car to 9.7 at 150 which is roughly 850 rwhp with nothing but a shifter, Mcleod RXT and flywheel.

Sponsored

Chris@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My car has has been abused several with Mexico almost every weekend and 6k RPM clutch dumps at the track. So far at 19K miles and still strong. Only thing I've replaced is the clutch due to my pedal sticking to the floor at high RPMs at time at around 13k miles.

I believe Lethal has taken their MT82 car to 9.7 at 150 which is roughly 850 rwhp with nothing but a shifter, Mcleod RXT and flywheel.
Correct, we had the Mcleod RXT with their lightened steel flywheel and a Barton Industries short throw shifter and had no issues! 850+rwhp:headbang::headbang::headbang:

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I have the stuff in my sig with the stock clutch and I haven't had any issues with my MT82.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
hi guys, i've searched through the threads and couldn't find much info on how much power the MT82 can support. i have a 2016 GT MT and looking to do a headers back , CAI and tune with claimed increase from 420 hp to 530 hp. will i need to do anything else to support the increased power? thanks, tom
GT350 is rated for 526. I doubt you will exceed that.

If you want your transmission to last, I would not try this at home. Shift normally. Avoid power shift, speed shift, and 6k RPM clutch dumps.

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sponsored
OP
OP

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
youll be fine. i'm planning on doing headers, cai, and flex tune from lund in the near future, and some rear sub braces, k brace

seen a guy with most of that on the stock clutch and he was good , i mean if you dont track or beat the living hell out of it youll be good
hey rob, am i right to expect those power gains with full headers, cai and tune? also our RHD mustangs had a lot of kinking off the manifold to compensate , so street fighter exhaust has corrected that as well. thanks, tom

daniel_94kg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
I'm still on stock MT82 and it hasn't had an issue yet. I have a Mcleod RXT and Flywheel, but the stock clutch was still going when I swapped it.

I was referring to the engine power. OP is wanting his Coyote to exceed the GT350 with just headers and a tune.
And yeah, I'm going to say with headers back + CAI/Tune you'd maybe be looking at about 485 crank hp based off how my car did when I had only those mods.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
I would also say that you will not hit 530 crank hp with those mods alone. Based on online conversion calculators my whp numbers are right around 520-530 crank hp. That means you will also need an intake manifold and e85. It may be possible with the perfect combo of the right parts and 93 on a strong car and outstanding tune but this is out of the norm.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I would also say that you will not hit 530 crank hp with those mods alone. Based on online conversion calculators my whp numbers are right around 520-530 crank hp. That means you will also need an intake manifold and e85. It may be possible with the perfect combo of the right parts and 93 on a strong car and outstanding tune but this is out of the norm.
That sounds about right, at least with my car, anyway. I'm about 10-12hp under yours, and I'm not running E85. As for the OP, their cars are 420hp from the factory, (I think), so to hit the numbers he's shooting for, he would need what you suggested at the least.
Sponsored

Last edited: