Sponsored

Spied: 2018 Mustang Prototype with Active Quad Exhaust

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
im just curious how many 15-16 guys would upgrade..i never had an auto but that 10spd sounds tempting..
Sponsored

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
Man!! I was going to keep mine until it died (advise from The Millionaire Next Door) book, but I'll probably ignore the advice of buying an expensive car :D and pull the trigger on the 2018 because is looking promising. Quad exhaust, more power and LED headlights, uuutttssss

Sponsored

newkidnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 5.0
Wonder if it'll be for the GT/V8 models only. It's be another good differentiator from the Ecoboost/V6.
It better be! The EB sounds awful, and I hate V6s that are loud but not really that quick. Based on their strategy with the S550, there may not even be a V6. The V6 is more of a Cafe deficit than the EB. IMO, they should drop the EB price point (like the LS trim on the 2.0T Camaro), and eliminate the V6. I guess we'll see. If it still exists, I doubt it'll get an active exhaust option since the PP isn't even available for this gen.

'18 is looking like a pretty big upgrade I can't wait.

10 speed auto
quad active exhaust
PFI/DI Coyote?

If that is the GT it raises the bar for a Mach 1 (IF that's in the cards). I would think it needs a 5.2 CPC and beefed up suspension to set it apart.
The 10 speed looks sweet in the ZL1. Hopefully it's truly a performance application in the GT. I'm sure it'll have its share of issues in its first year on the market.

In terms of PFI/DI, who knows. They probably shouldn't just mimic the FRPP staged packages (say the '18 has 455hp, but it's really just a '15-'17 with the PP1 tune), so it'll be something. Who knows what. No doubt it'll have more hp. It needs it. The car also needs suspension work to be competitive. My base is such a barge around the twisties.

what ever type exhaust it has, it better have 475hp or so, tired of the Camaro fan boys always having the upper hand
It needs enough to offset the weight penalty and the 5.0's inherent tq disadvantage. 526hp in a GT350 only nets you 116ish traps (little more for the R). Yes it has low tq, but what'll it take to match the 6MT Camaro's 114ish avg. trap speeds and the autos 115ish avg. traps. My guess is 475hp may not be quite enough. It'll look good on paper, but will it really be a runner?

Also something to consider: The 6G Camaro seems to pick up 2-3 mph when going from factory wheels/tires to a drag pack, no other mods. SS Camaros come with 20s, so the key may be increasing the efficiency in how the Mustang puts down power. I am unsure if they'll take advantage of this with a presumably revised '18 Mustang wheel lineup. For example, the PP wheels are heavier than the Foundry wheels. I doubt it, so the only solution is more power.

Man!! I was going to keep mine until it died (advise from The Millionaire Next Door) book, but I'll probably ignore the advice of buying an expensive car :D and pull the trigger on the 2018 because is looking promising. Quad exhaust, more power and LED headlights, uuutttssss
I'd wait till a '19, TBH. I'm sure the '18s will have issues with the new tranny and retooling.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
im just curious how many 15-16 guys would upgrade..i never had an auto but that 10spd sounds tempting..
I want the 10 speed, but the only reason I'll upgrade is if they offer Gotta Have it Green.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
No temptation, but I am still interested to see what is done on the '18! :) I love having a 50th anniversary!

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
[MENTION=19166]MyFirst5.0[/MENTION] None. Waiting for the S650.

Excellent. I look forward to getting a quad tip take off down the road.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
What happened to the Hood, hopefully they won't get rid of the powerdomes :confused:

They also put more camo on the headlights so you can't see the boomerang shape on the top and bottom anymore.

I'm pretty sure the Facelift will share the lower part of the front with the new Fiesta and Fusion, with the lines going towards the sides

Old:

Facelift:

Old:

Facelift:

Sponsored

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
This will be interesting...it's always a tough spot for people, especially when they've enjoyed having an exciting and noteworthy all-new car for a couple years. It's a downer to have it officially become "old news." Almost anyone who has bought a new car goes through this to some degree, I suppose.

However, my guess is that not many will trade up a '15-'17 for an '18. The current Mustang is still very fresh looking, still probably feels new and exciting to those who own them. Plus, many improvements on the refresh could presumably be retrofitted onto the '15-'17 cars...any improvement to the performance reputation (particularly if it becomes comparable to the Camaro SS), will retroactively feed back to the rest of the S550s.

This is the great thing about buying into the ground floor of an all-new platform. Both the aftermarket and the OEM will continue to offer improvements for many of the first years that you own the car.

Then again, if there's an all-new engine or even a major engine component change (DI for example), all bets are off. The 10spd auto will likely be tempting but the current 6spd auto is doing a fantastic job in drag applications, etc. that it's hardly a liability for current owners.

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
What happened to the Hood, hopefully they won't get rid of the powerdomes :confused:

They also put more camo on the headlights so you can't see the boomerang shape on the top and bottom anymore.

I'm pretty sure the Facelift will share the lower part of the front with the new Fiesta and Fusion, with the lines going towards the sides
Know changes from someone I know who is very close.

GT350 trickle down in a unique way.

Lower hood is happening, still more pronounced (power dome) than a GT350, looks to have two vents like 1968 hood :D

Wider front fenders

Revised head and tail lights

Revised rear fascia

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
I have a 15 ecoboost. Upgrading is on my mind, but I have some $$ invested in my current car so not sure it would be worth it. At this point waiting to see exactly what all the differences are before I make the call.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
what ever type exhaust it has, it better have 475hp or so, tired of the Camaro fan boys always having the upper hand
I have a hard time imagining a standard Mustang GT having 475hp. That's a lot of power for a mid entry sports car.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Hope the 10-speed transmission is nothing like the 9-speed one that the Acura TLX, and Jeep Cherokee/Renegade use. That thing is terrible and a warranty nightmare. It has trouble picking gears and sometimes get stuck in a gear when it should shift. In other cases, you can't even shift out of park and you get towed to the dealership.

I'd be happy with a new, stronger 6-speed manual transmission. I just can't do an automatic in a sports car. Loses fun factor to me.
Sponsored