Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
If you want something else weighed let me know.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
The wheel bearing lug flange is of course steel, the only part that's aluminum is the bearing hub body itself. The knuckle is of course aluminum also. I would not scallop the flange for weight reduction as it will also reduce strength and flex. You'd be better off getting a lighter wheel and tire combination. I have Forgeline GA1R open lug wheels which weigh a lot less. About 14 pounds less per wheel at 11x19 with pilot sport cup 2 305/30zr19

Also the cortex front lower control arm bearing is just over 1 pound less then the stock rubber bushing. It's amazing how heavy the stock rubber bushings are. Not to mention the more positive feedback the bearings give along with the more accurate alignment it keeps and goes unchanged.
The scalloped flange really doesn't effect strength from a system level. Your rotor and wheel combination share much more of that responsibility, if it continued down to the base of the wheel mounting surface it might. The scalloping might be worth close to .25 lb, not much but if you have the means...

Wheels will come long before I pull the trigger on a knuckle swap. The cost to performance ratio is still pretty high. Long term though, I think the GT350 stuff would be well suited to keep maintenance cost associated with rotors, pads, and wheel bearings down. Wheels and the carbon hood will help quite a bit, I am going to try and target a few other things for carbon within the car aswell down the road. I don't thing the stock Hub are inherently weak, however Ford purposefully targeted that component and increased bearing size to promote component life on the track for the GT350.

I am curious how much NVH increase the Cortex bushing will introduce. There is not doubt you will see performance gains and other positive attributes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
The scalloped flange really doesn't effect strength from a system level. Your rotor and wheel combination share much more of that responsibility, if it continued down to the base of the wheel mounting surface it might. The scalloping might be worth close to .25 lb, not much but if you have the means...

Wheels will come long before I pull the trigger on a knuckle swap. The cost to performance ratio is still pretty high. Long term though, I think the GT350 stuff would be well suited to keep maintenance cost associated with rotors, pads, and wheel bearings down. Wheels and the carbon hood will help quite a bit, I am going to try and target a few other things for carbon within the car aswell down the road. I don't thing the stock Hub are inherently weak, however Ford purposefully targeted that component and increased bearing size to promote component life on the track for the GT350.

I am curious how much NVH increase the Cortex bushing will introduce. There is not doubt you will gains and positive attributes.
My dad owns a machine shop and I could easily scallop the hubs but it's not worth the work or little loss of weight / to strength. A smaller lug nut would be just as equal to the scalloped hub. I already have Titanium lug nuts.

Stock lug nuts
image.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Titanium lug nuts
image.jpg

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Titanium
image.jpg

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
I am not sure how far you are from the Auburn Hills area, but I would like to see you car once it's back together.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
I am not sure how far you are from the Auburn Hills area, but I would like to see you car once it's back together.
I'm about 1 hour south of you off of telegraph Rd / I-75 just south of Monroe Michigan , north of Toledo Ohio. Right on Lake Erie.

Sponsored

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
The wheel bearing lug flange is of course steel, the only part that's aluminum is the bearing hub body itself. The knuckle is of course aluminum also. I would not scallop the flange for weight reduction as it will also reduce strength and flex. You'd be better off getting a lighter wheel and tire combination. I have Forgeline GA1R open lug wheels which weigh a lot less. About 14 pounds less per wheel at 11x19 with pilot sport cup 2 305/30zr19

Also the cortex front lower control arm bearing is just over 1 pound less then the stock rubber bushing. It's amazing how heavy the stock rubber bushings are. Not to mention the more positive feedback the bearings give along with the more accurate alignment it keeps and goes unchanged.
Nice! Can you post a pic of the Forgelines on you car? Would love to see the overall look.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Nice! Can you post a pic of the Forgelines on you car? Would love to see the overall look.
Will do, once I get it all back together. I just finished grinding and sanding all the aluminum control arms and knuckles smooth and powdered coated them in a flat charcoal / graphite color ( very close to the gt350 caliper color).

I just have to finish powder coating the front and rear R springs and R sway bars gloss red to match the R calipers.
And also the differential housing and cover which will also be the flat charcoal / graphite color.

I did the IRS cradle, all the miscellaneous brackets on the whole car, the 1/2 shafts, all 4 brake dust shields, all 4 front control arms, inner and outer tie rods, shocks and struts, vertical links and camber links in semi gloss black.

I will be doing the front K member in semi gloss black also.

According to my tracking number my MGW shifter is waiting for me at home! Can't wait to get off work to see it. It's been a long wait well worth it I'm sure. I'll post pics when I get home.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Came home to this beauty today!
I'm a journeyman tool and die marker and I can really appreciate the time spent to make and the engineering that went into this shifter. Thanks George!
image.jpg

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott