barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
Back to the axle diameter question. The 2004-2006 GTO's had a huge wheel hop problem. Aftermarket axle suppliers began making anti hop axles that had one significantly larger than the other one. It was explained that a harmonic vibration contributed to the hop and the different axles helped with this. The makers said it didn't matter which side had the larger axle. On a side note, can you see where the wiring for the rear cooler goes? I still hope there is a harness or empty plug somewhere us tech pack cars can use to wire the rear cooler.

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Back to the axle diameter question. The 2004-2006 GTO's had a huge wheel hop problem. Aftermarket axle suppliers began making anti hop axles that had one significantly larger than the other one. It was explained that a harmonic vibration contributed to the hop and the different axles helped with this. The makers said it didn't matter which side had the larger axle. On a side note, can you see where the wiring for the rear cooler goes? I still hope there is a harness or empty plug somewhere us tech pack cars can use to wire the rear cooler.
The wiring harness for the cooler is clipped to the IRS cradle. To remove the cradle it's very easy.

Unbolt calipers from knuckles
Remove rotors
Disconnect E brake cable
Disconnect driveshaft
Remove underbody air duct scoop panel
Disconnect axle cooler lines
Disconnect exhaust valves
Remove exhaust
Disconnect one plug connector from body to IRS cradle. This is for the mag shocks, suspension level sensors and diff temp sensors
Unbolt upper shock mounts from car
Unbolt 2 bolts from both front cradle support brackets
Support cradle and remove 4 bolts that fasten it to the car
Raise car or lower cradle

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
When are you estimating all your work will be wrapped up and completed? Got my MGW shifter in as well, can't wait to install it!
I was hoping to have it done by now, I powder coated almost everything I needed but I ran out of red so I have to only finish the springs and sway bars. If I don't get to buried in work at my business I hope to start reassembling by late this week or next weekend. I'll keep you posted.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Will the stiffer bushing make it more likely something will break? Also the IRS bushings are they pressed in?

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Will the stiffer bushing make it more likely something will break? Also the IRS bushings are they pressed in?
With the stiffer bushings you have no movement. When something moves such as a violent wheel hop, that's when things break. When the suspension is worked such as in hard cornering and braking, that puts more weight and stress on the suspension and When rubber bushings are used, they are great at reducing or eliminating noise and vibration but suck at everything else.
A friend of mine tracks his GT a lot and he's already torn 2 IRS cradle bushings in his 2015 GT.
I will be doing his next.

The stock IRS cradle bushings are pressed in. A lot of guys like to cut them out with a sawsall and that works, but the way I always done it is heat up the center steel sleeve with a torch just to get them slightly hot and the center will fall right out. Then use a air chisel on the outer shell and they pop right out in seconds. Both ways give the same results. The new bushings are more of a snug to tight fit and can be either pressed in with a C-clamp, a nut and bolt through the hole and tighten them until they are seated or tapped in with a dead blow hammer. I use a C-clamp with a piece of hard rubber on both ends of the clamp to protect from scratching the bushing finish and tighten them until they are seated.

crazyfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 & '14 GT Track Car
Awesome job, you are a true artisan. Can't wait to see the finished picks and a total review on how and what it did to better the car.

Thanks for all the posts.

Also all those parts suppliers should be sponsoring you and your shop on this. So much insightful and helpful information. Thanks

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Is that something you have to drop the IRS to do?

With the stiffer bushings you have no movement. When something moves such as a violent wheel hop, that's when things break. When the suspension is worked such as in hard cornering and braking, that puts more weight and stress on the suspension and When rubber bushings are used, they are great at reducing or eliminating noise and vibration but suck at everything else.
A friend of mine tracks his GT a lot and he's already torn 2 IRS cradle bushings in his 2015 GT.

The stock IRS cradle bushings are pressed in. A lot of guys like to cut them out with a sawsall and that works, but the way I always done it is heat up the center steel sleeve with a torch just to get them slightly hot and the center will fall right out. Then use a air chisel on the outer shell and they pop right out in seconds. Both ways give the same results. The new bushings are more of a snug to tight fit and can be either pressed in with a C-clamp, a nut and bolt through the hole and tighten them until they are seated or tapped in with a dead blow hammer. I use a C-clamp with a piece of hard rubber on both ends of the clamp to protect from scratching the bushing finish and tighten them until they are seated.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)

08fordgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2016 shelby gt350 race red
any pics with the new solid bushings in?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP

Fortunately the GT350's use a higher durameter rubber which will hold up better and longer vs's the GT's albeit they are still rubber.

GT350/BT55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Conv Pack Avalanche White Stripe
VOODOO your 1-5/8 metal framing cradle is cool.
That is the product my company manufactures.

Versabar Strut Systems.

Maybe I can sell GT350 rear end cradles.
LOL

OP
OP
Voodooo

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
VOODOO your 1-5/8 metal framing cradle is cool.
That is the product my company manufactures.

Versabar Strut Systems.

Maybe I can sell GT350 rear end cradles.
LOL
Lol. I used what I had left over from my HVAC unit in my shop. I installed a furnace and AC unit in my shops attic space and made the supports to mount it. I used what I had left over. I was going to make it out of tubing but figured if I made it from versabar I could take it apart or if someone from the forum wanted to make or rent it they could and I could disassemble it to ship it easy.
Sponsored