I don't want my car doors to auto-lock at >15mph

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
When airbag deploys, doors unlock.

And if the accident is serious where you can't hit the unlock button or simply pull the door handle, rest assured someone is cutting you out of the car anyway.

Let your doors lock and move on.
Sponsored

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
Strange ... as it seems they are all supposed to auto-lock by default and you can't change that in the configuration menus.
Maybe OP doesn't drive over 15MPH? :lol:

16 GT MM/Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KIA Stinger GT AWD
Considering the sad state of the world today, car doors should automatically lock as soon as you get into the car.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Strange ... as it seems they are all supposed to auto-lock by default and you can't change that in the configuration menus.
Per the online version of the 2015 Owner Manual, you can.

Under the section titled "Autolock Feature"

Enabling or Disabling
Note:
You can enable or disable the
autolock and autounlock features
independently of each other.

You can enable or disable these features
in the information display, or an authorized
dealer can do it for you. See​
Information

Norm

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Performance Pack
I'm with Norm on this. Good for me or not, I want the choice. I look at it this way too, every time they auto lock, it is just one more cycle of the motors and moving parts. If I am driving through farm country, which I do frequently, like 90% of my driving, no one is going to car jack me. All it is doing is unnecessarily wearing out my lock motors.

Sponsored

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
I dont need my doors locking on their own and I am damn near ready to rip the panic alarm button out of my remote which seems to be the only button that somehow accidently gets pressed when in my pocket and sandwhiched between other keys. It is never the unlock/lock or trunk button always the annoying panic button.

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
My doors don't lock at any speed. I think you can turn all that auto crap off.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I'm with Norm on this. Good for me or not, I want the choice. I look at it this way too, every time they auto lock, it is just one more cycle of the motors and moving parts. If I am driving through farm country, which I do frequently, like 90% of my driving, no one is going to car jack me. All it is doing is unnecessarily wearing out my lock motors.
Every new vehicle I have owned since 1989 has had power door locks and they all auto locked. All these vehicles went in excess of 100,000 miles and a couple went to 250,000 miles. None of them ever had a door lock solenoid fail. You are worrying needlessly.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Every new vehicle I have owned since 1989 has had power door locks and they all auto locked.
And you continue to accept being treated like you're a pre-school child because???

Norm

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
And you continue to accept being treated like you're a pre-school child because???

Norm
I always remember when i 1st got my old S197 and saw the handle in the actual boot, when I asked someone, they said it's because
If someone is kidnapped and thrown in the trunk, they can get out
:D
So no surprise they auto lock

Sponsored

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Performance Pack
Every new vehicle I have owned since 1989 has had power door locks and they all auto locked. All these vehicles went in excess of 100,000 miles and a couple went to 250,000 miles. None of them ever had a door lock solenoid fail. You are worrying needlessly.
I have a 1989 Crown Vic with power locks and they never auto locked. Granted I don't believe it has air bags either...

Everything has a service life, and every moving part of everything ever made will eventually wear out. Eventually the engines in our beloved cars will wear out. No I'm not saying park it in the garage and never drive it so it never wears out, that's just dumb. I am however saying that every cycle of anything mechanical causes wear. It may be an insignificant amount each cycle, but it will wear, eventually to the point of failure. Why cause unnecessary wear if it is useless? I plan on keeping this car forever, why wear out parts and have to replace them if I don't need to? If I can get another 5 years of service out of my lock motors by not having them needlessly cycling, then why not?

If it doesn't matter, can I come over to your house and just hit the lock and unlock buttons for hours on end? Besides wasting fuel, why do you shut your engine off when you park it?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I am however saying that every cycle of anything mechanical causes wear. It may be an insignificant amount each cycle, but it will wear, eventually to the point of failure. Why cause unnecessary wear if it is useless? I plan on keeping this car forever, why wear out parts and have to replace them if I don't need to? If I can get another 5 years of service out of my lock motors by not having them needlessly cycling, then why not?
Yeah. This is why I locked my door, rolled the window down and pulled the fuse for both. By climbing in and out thru the window, I minimize wear and tear on lots of parts. I also leave the fuel door open and make sure I don't drive fast enough for the wind to close it.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
when it comes to it, you can fix the door lock actuators with a $5 DC motor in the assembly. All the Fords, Mazdas Toyotas, Lexus use the same one. Did it on my moms LX470 instead of the entire $500 door lock actuator

S550ilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yeah. This is why I locked my door, rolled the window down and pulled the fuse for both. By climbing in and out thru the window, I minimize wear and tear on lots of parts. I also leave the fuel door open and make sure I don't drive fast enough for the wind to close it.
So NOW I know what Bo and Luke were up to with The General Lee...just saving wear and tear on parts....LOL

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
Yeah but if you have some lost moron staring at their phone cross the center line, your structural integrity is increased with the doors locked (or so they say). They probably get a bump on their crash rating if you can't disable the auto lock. Just like they get a bump on their MPG rating for grill shutters and the auto engine stop that kills the engine at stop lights. (Both of which you can't permanently disable or they don't get their credit).
Sponsored