Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I believe I am safer driving my car with the doors unlocked. Does anyone know if the doors will unlock themselves after a crash?

I tried the settings via the steering wheel menu, but I could not find a way to disable this feature. I wonder if the service department can do this for me.

Anyone?
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Wouldn't the doors being locked be safer as it'll help prevent the door from swinging open in the event of a crash?

Last edited:

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Indeed...just recently read an article on one of the car mag sites (I think it was C&D) stating it's much safer to have doors locked, not just for crash protection but also car-jacking. More people died from being ejected from the cars or from blunt force trauma from objects entering the cabin through an open door than from being trapped inside a locked door. Then there is the fact of rigidity. A closed door gives more solid rigidity to the cabin of the car than an open one and if the door is unlocked it's more likely to open and in a roll-over your cabin no longer has that support.

Also, crash response units can VERY easily remove body panels and windows in a very short time without using the "jaws of life"

Macfarland

MacFastang
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Prius III Touring
Indeed...just recently read an article on one of the car mag sites (I think it was C&D) stating it's much safer to have doors locked, not just for crash protection but also car-jacking. More people died from being ejected from the cars or from blunt force trauma from objects entering the cabin through an open door than from being trapped inside a locked door.

Also, crash response units can VERY easily remove body panels and windows in a very short time without using the "jaws of life"
I was under the impression that as soon as an airbag deploys, hazard lights turn on and doors unlock. If they don't, you're still correct about not needing jaws of life to get you out.

Sponsored

TimGER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic
Mine do not auto-lock. is this some setting? EU Model GT

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I believe I am safer driving my car with the doors unlocked. Does anyone know if the doors will unlock themselves after a crash?

I tried the settings via the steering wheel menu, but I could not find a way to disable this feature. I wonder if the service department can do this for me.

Anyone?
It seems like everyone is doing it. The lock only locks the outside handle. The inside handle is not locked so you can still open the door even the door is locked.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
I used to get a chuckle when the old timers used to say " I never wear seat belts, if I'm in a wreck I want to be thrown clear" and I'm thinking thrown clear! Yeah, clear into a tree.

Sponsored

15GTCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2015 GT A6
I used to get a chuckle when the old timers used to say " I never wear seat belts, if I'm in a wreck I want to be thrown clear" and I'm thinking thrown clear! Yeah, clear into a tree.
My dad is a retired CHP officer. He told me years ago that he never released a seat belt on a dead body. All the deaths were unbelted when he found them.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
Your point makes no sense I'm sorry. But, my doors lock right when I get in which is really annoying because if someone else is trying to get in, I have to hit the unlock button which doesn't seem to work half the time. It's probably just me idk

OP
OP
GTP

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I am glad my thread has provided so much entertainment. :D

In my view, I would not mind if the doors locked at <10mph, upon starting the car, to prevent car-jacking (no matter how unlikely).
Then, above 10mph, they should unlock again. If I had an accident and was knocked out or hurt, then the first Good Samaritan that comes along has easy access to me.

It seems to me that any force great enough to pop the door open, is also likely great enough to pop a locked door open. I have no worry about being thrown from the car. That possibility is what I laugh at.
Sponsored