corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I always remember when i 1st got my old S197 and saw the handle in the actual boot, when I asked someone, they said it's because
If someone is kidnapped and thrown in the trunk, they can get out
Too much crime-drama television?

I think the real reason involved young children playing around (and in) cars that weren't locked. More like the reason you have to remove the doors or lids from discarded refrigerators and freezers.

Norm
Sponsored

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yeah but if you have some lost moron staring at their phone cross the center line, your structural integrity is increased with the doors locked (or so they say).
Implying that you wouldn't ever do anything yourself to avoid a crash, or at least do something to mitigate the consequences?

I've been through a situation involving an oncoming car that had crossed the centerline (it was coming over the crest of a small rise, no less), and since this was back around 1969, the oncoming driver was presumably intoxicated rather than phone-distracted. So I know I'd rather have situational awareness on my side, or at least enough presence of mind to do something other than sit back and helplessly watch the crash sequence unfold in front of my eyes.

They probably get a bump on their crash rating if you can't disable the auto lock. Just like they get a bump on their MPG rating for grill shutters and the auto engine stop that kills the engine at stop lights. (Both of which you can't permanently disable or they don't get their credit).
If that's true, then the mfrs are caving to pressure from third parties with an agenda of their own (which includes their continued employment). That's not the same thing as responding to independent consumer demand.

Norm

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Performance Pack
Yeah. This is why I locked my door, rolled the window down and pulled the fuse for both. By climbing in and out thru the window, I minimize wear and tear on lots of parts. I also leave the fuel door open and make sure I don't drive fast enough for the wind to close it.
Funny, yes. However if that is a dig at what I said, I'm being realistic. Like I said, I'm not saying park the car in the garage and never start it so it never wears out, I'm saying, let's minimize UNNECESSARY wear. I drive my car with the full understanding that it is causing wear, but it is USEFUL (and quite fun) wear. Locking my doors when I park it, is also useful. Locking my doors every time I reach a certain speed is useless wear. If I want the damn doors locked (such as driving through Detroit) I will lock them my damn self, and along with that, make sure there is one in the pipe of my Glock 9mm (which there always is, no point in carrying if you have to waste time jacking a round into the chamber before it is able to fire)...

Yeah but if you have some lost moron staring at their phone cross the center line, your structural integrity is increased with the doors locked (or so they say). They probably get a bump on their crash rating if you can't disable the auto lock. Just like they get a bump on their MPG rating for grill shutters and the auto engine stop that kills the engine at stop lights. (Both of which you can't permanently disable or they don't get their credit).
I fail to see how a locked door has any more structural integrity than an unlocked door. It's not like locking the door moves large pieces of steel to a new location in the door emulating door bars on a race car cage. All it does is keep the outside handle from opening the door, which is nothing more than changing the position of some tiny little linkage inside the latch mechanism, which is a moot point if the doors automatically unlock in the event of a crash.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
And you continue to accept being treated like you're a pre-school child because???

Norm
And how am I being treated like a pre-school child? I choose to leave the auto lock feature turned on or the ones that came with it off, turn it on.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
By having something done for you by others that as a young child you aren't expected to do for yourself (the burden falls on Daddy or Mommy).

It's insulting when you consider that as an adult you should be perfectly capable of doing this for yourself if that's what you desire. Every single time, without fail. Kind of like buckling your seat belt.

It's insulting when, on any given trip, you've made an adult-level decision to not lock the doors and the system does it for you anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, the reasons for and the reasons against door locking in general and automatic locking in particular are all but irrelevant. My ability to choose for myself - either way here - is not.

Norm

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Norm, your car is full of things that it does for you that you should be capable of doing for yourself and not many years ago you had to do for your self. Rain sensing wipers, auto dimming mirrors, auto head lights, cruise control, power door locks in general, etc. come to mind. You are being hypocritical if you embrace any of those but take offense to auto locking doors.

In my 40+ years of driving I can't think of one instant where having the doors locked was a bad or inconvenient thing. I have a hard time comprehending all the up roar over them and why some one that embraces the feature is child like.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
If it doesn't matter, can I come over to your house and just hit the lock and unlock buttons for hours on end? Besides wasting fuel, why do you shut your engine off when you park it?
If that is what floats your boat then sure come on over. I guarantee you will wear out long before the door lock solenoids do. I have chambers at work that use the the same technology to open and close valves for control circuits hundreds of times per minute 24 hours a day 365 days a year. They last for years and years without failing. Even the fuel injectors work on the same principle and they cycle 100s of times per second and almost never have a mechanical failure, plug up yes, but out right fail no. So the two or three times a day your doors auto lock is just not significant in the overall life expectancy of the solenoid.

If I was interested in minimizing the wear in my engine I wouldn't ever shut it off. 80% of the wear in your engine over its life occurs at start up and while it warms up.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norm, your car is full of things that it does for you that you should be capable of doing for yourself and not many years ago you had to do for your self. Rain sensing wipers, auto dimming mirrors, auto head lights, cruise control, power door locks in general, etc. come to mind. You are being hypocritical if you embrace any of those but take offense to auto locking doors.

In my 40+ years of driving I can't think of one instant where having the doors locked was a bad or inconvenient thing. I have a hard time comprehending all the up roar over them and why some one that embraces the feature is child like.
You still don't seem to get what I'm saying. I have nothing against locking the doors of my car while I'm driving it, as long as it is by my choice if and when that happens. Operating a simple lock button or pushrod is not something that to date I need to have done for me. I ever get so feeble that I then do need to have it done for me, you wouldn't want me out there driving in the first place . . . guaranteed.

FWIW, my wife and I never use the auto headlights that are on her car, nor the cruise controls that are on all three of the cars we currently own (and was on the two cars before those). But it's still us who's getting to choose here, not some busybody agency who thinks we need to be using them according to some more or less fixed set of circumstances that they have arbitrarily determined.

We don't even own cars that have automatic transmission, haven't since Nixon's second term in the White House. If that doesn't get my point of keeping manually do-able choices mine and not ceding them to automation, I'm afraid that there's nothing in my experience that ever could.

The only thing I need automated for me is engine ignition and fueling. Everything else that my car needs an active command to do, I can handle all by myself. Everything. Though I will note that the existence of power door locks does eliminate one source of paint damage (around the keyholes) and is worthwhile for that reason alone.

Norm

Last edited:

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Norm, I remember you mentioning that you were... how do I say this... a bit more... experienced, in life than myself.

That being said, I must have an old school type mentality. I'm in my late 20's, but agree with you. Having the option of auto lock, auto transmission (not a fan of them but nice at times), cruise control, auto headlights, etc., I have no issue with. I use the auto lights on my car, cruise control, automatic linking of my phone with the car's infotainment system, etc. The difference between the ones that I use and the stupid auto lock is that I have a choice in the matter. I don't ALWAYS use auto headlights, or cruise. I don't have a problem with the auto lock either, as long as it isn't forced on to me. As I mentioned previously (I think? not going back to look), my girlfriends 2013 Fusion has the option to turn it off. With that option, I have no issue whatsoever with the feature being there.

One of the nice things about being an adult is being able to make your own decisions. Given that fact, I do NOT like having auto lock forced on me. Plus, I paid around $40k for this thing, it is MINE, and I should be able to do with it as I please. In the grand scheme of life, having to deal with auto locks being forced on me really isn't a big deal. It really affects nothing in my day to day life, nor will it probably ever. It's just the psychological aspect of it that now, even as an adult, I'm having things forced on to me as if I'm still a child, and Ford is my parent.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I will note that the existence of power door locks does eliminate one source of paint damage (around the keyholes) and is worthwhile for that reason alone.
Kudos. It takes a big man to admit he can't bullseye a keyhole. Almost makes me want to come out of that closet.

Sponsored

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
You still don't seem to get what I'm saying. I have nothing against locking the doors of my car while I'm driving it, as long as it is by my choice if and when that happens ...
Well if you don't like it just turn the feature off and you can decide with the button on the door. It may not be as easy as a check box in the center display but it is no more complicated than recalibrating the auto up/down for the windows and the process is similar to turning it on/off in all the other vehicles I have owned.

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well if you don't like it just turn the feature off and you can decide with the button on the door. It may not be as easy as a check box in the center display but it is no more complicated than recalibrating the auto up/down for the windows and the process is similar to turning it on/off in all the other vehicles I have owned.
That's the thing though. So far there seems to be no way to disable the feature. That is what is pissing Norm and myself off so much. I don't care if the feature is there, but I want to be able to turn it off if I want. I know other vehicles with it, it was in my 02 Explorer, I turned it off as well. All it took was a combination of key cycles and button presses and it was off. It even tells you how to disable it in the owners manual. So far apparently though for the Mustang that is not the case.

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
Implying that you wouldn't ever do anything yourself to avoid a crash, or at least do something to mitigate the consequences?

I've been through a situation involving an oncoming car that had crossed the centerline (it was coming over the crest of a small rise, no less), and since this was back around 1969, the oncoming driver was presumably intoxicated rather than phone-distracted. So I know I'd rather have situational awareness on my side, or at least enough presence of mind to do something other than sit back and helplessly watch the crash sequence unfold in front of my eyes.
I'm implying that the possibility exists that they could cross the line at such a proximity that you have no time to react. My point was that car jacking is not the sole reason for this feature. In fact I doubt it's even the most important reason in the manufacturers eyes.

If that's true, then the mfrs are caving to pressure from third parties with an agenda of their own (which includes their continued employment). That's not the same thing as responding to independent consumer demand.

Norm
This should not be news. Manufacturers have been caving to pressure beyond consumer demand for decades.

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd imagine so, it claims the manual that it can be disabled, it just says to see your dealer.
Sponsored