Sponsored

Sound difference, axle backs vs catbacks

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So I just picked up my first new car ever; an Oxford White 2016 GT PP. I'm looking to keep it under warranty, but I'd like a nice sounding exhaust. I won't be tuning it, so performance really isn't an issue. My question is how much of a difference does a cat back make vs an axle back in these cars? I'm thinking I'm going to go with Borla S-Types or FRPP Sport quad /w GT350 Diffuser.
Sponsored

BruceStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
Here is the catback Ford Performance Borla GT350 Catback on 5.0

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So I just picked up my first new car ever; an Oxford White 2016 GT PP. I'm looking to keep it under warranty, but I'd like a nice sounding exhaust. I won't be tuning it, so performance really isn't an issue. My question is how much of a difference does a cat back make vs an axle back in these cars? I'm thinking I'm going to go with Borla S-Types or FRPP Sport quad /w GT350 Diffuser.
In general the axlebacks are quieter than most catbacks, due to the stock resonator.

What kind of sound do you want, deep or high pitched? Clean or raspy? Based on the two you suggested, it sounds like you're going for about mid-range to mid-high on the volume scale. There's a lot of options there.

OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
In general the axlebacks are quieter than most catbacks, due to the stock resonator.

What kind of sound do you want, deep or high pitched? Clean or raspy? Based on the two you suggested, it sounds like you're going for about mid-range to mid-high on the volume scale. There's a lot of options there.
ON the high side, but the ATAKs sound a bit too raspy from the clips I've heard. I had not thought about the resonators. It sounds like I will need the catbacks. For an extra $400 dollars, it would be hard for me to pass up the FRPP sport quads over the S-Types. That GT350 diffuser just really seems to tie the rear end together. From what I understand, the difference between the sound of the sports and S-types is marginal.

Last edited:

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
ON the high side, but the ATAKs sound a bit too raspy from the clips I've heard. I had not thought about the resonators. It sounds like I will need the catbacks. For an extra $400 dollars, it would be hard for me to pass up the FRPP sport quads over the S-Types. That GT350 diffuser just really seems to tie the rear end together. From what I understand, the difference between the sound of the sports and S-types is marginal.
It's too quiet for some (but it's not actually quiet at all), but I think the FRPP Touring catback sounds amazing. That and the Corsa Sport catback, which is similar volume to the FRPP Sport.

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
Whatever you go with dont do x pipe with legato axlebacks. Drone on demand. Waiting on a magnaflow resonated x pipe to fix it.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I love my X-pipe with Borla S-type mufflers.

If I was to buy the parts again, I'd buy the hotpart.com X-pipe (they use the same clamps as the Ford Racing 409 stainless steel X-pipe. The hotpart.com X-pipe is made of the higher quality 304 stainless and costs much less ($150 vs $229).

https://hotpart.com/product/resonator-delete-2015-present-mustang-304-stainless-steel-2-5/
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-x-pipe-2015gt.html

Borla S-type axle back mufflers ($760) new. Nice aggressive sound, with zero drone.

There are many many choices out there....

Check out cjponyparts.com, americanmuscle.com, lmr.com, etc for videos on different combos.

Most people will agree to stay away from chambered mufflers on the 5.0L due to drone.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
So with the hot parts x pipe and borla axlebacks the flow qualities and harmonics would be equal to a full catback system?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So with the hot parts x pipe and borla axlebacks the flow qualities and harmonics would be equal to a full catback system?
Yes.

You then have to cut, though, where a catback is just a bolt on swap.

Sponsored

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Petroleum Jesus: I'm not sure what trim level you have but unless you have the premium package (normally PP means performance package) then consider you'll need to replace the whole rear bumper for quad tips. The base bumper is all one piece.

OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Petroleum Jesus: I'm not sure what trim level you have but unless you have the premium package (normally PP means performance package) then consider you'll need to replace the whole rear bumper for quad tips. The base bumper is all one piece.
It's a premium performance package. Thanks though.

skistoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 20" CO
Solo Performance

I just had this Solo Performance system installed.

It removes everything behind the catalytic converters.

Then replaces it with a single muffler where the resonator was

and J hook system in the back to remove the drone sound.

High quality 3" mandrel stainless steel exhaust

Really improved the sound, highly recommend !!!
Mach Thunder.jpg

OP
OP

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Yes.

You then have to cut, though, where a catback is just a bolt on swap.
I don't mind a bit of cutting. With this bit of advice and a deal on 2 month old S-types axlebacks from M6G classified, I just got my entire system for $700. Thanks for the 411:cheers:

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I don't mind a bit of cutting. With this bit of advice and a deal on 2 month old S-types axlebacks from M6G classified, I just got my entire system for $700. Thanks for the 411:cheers:
To clarify, did your new system come with Xpipe (S-type), and not the Borla resonator (Touring)?
Sponsored