Sponsored

Engine Exploded need short block~~~right now!

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Has anyone considered running a 91 tune but using only 93 and 1 step colder plugs? Combine that with a good inter cooler and we have quite a buffer against knock or super knock.

You hit the nail on the head, above. I counted time slips from the track and have 153 and have thrown out at least 20 for the mustang, in addition im on data log 387 on my Lund N Gauge. My car was built 01 / 15 as well, so throw early builds being weak right out. One thing I do do , is always have more than enough octane in the car when im racing or logging. Ive learned that if my car is pulling more than 2 degrees of timing maximum, its not happy. Lund has really helped me read my logs and he always warns me when he looks at them if things arent happy. Jon is always atonement on me having more then enough octane in the car.
Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Margins go a long way in preventing issues. Also prudent planning. My reliability thread was focused primarily on increasing margins cause by functional deficits in factory components.

The IC is the biggest liability risk as far as hardware components as hot air is not conducive to preventing knock. However running a PCM software set for 91 octane while running 93 provides you with a tolerance margin on the fuel.

Even if the octane rating is slightly under spec or slightly diluted, you have headroom as the engine is able operate safely down to 91. It also provides safe margin for when traveling. My car is a DD, I go on out of state trips every year to visit family, 93 is not always available, but 91 is.

Last edited:

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
??

Who has a 2016 blown engine? Do you have a link or any info? All were linked to the early 2015 I thought. Ty

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Who has a 2016 blown engine? Do you have a link or any info? All were linked to the early 2015 I thought. Ty
What's with the question marks...? lol. Not sure what's not understood.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
What's with the question marks...? lol. Not sure what's not understood.
I was asking if u had a link, I was curious my buddy has a 2016 and was asking about the blown engines. You said you knew of a couple, wanted to know if they were on the forums.

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was asking if u had a link, I was curious my buddy has a 2016 and was asking about the blown engines. You said you knew of a couple, wanted to know if they were on the forums.
Ok, I'd have to see if I can find it. There was a thread way back when I first registered for the forum I was watching and some posted about the "first blown 2016 EB". But I don't recall the thread nor the original OP, I just remember it because I have a 2016 and the fact that there not yet any blown 2016's made me quite happy :)

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
Ok, I'd have to see if I can find it. There was a thread way back when I first registered for the forum I was watching and some posted about the "first blown 2016 EB". But I don't recall the thread nor the original OP, I just remember it because I have a 2016 and the fact that there not yet any blown 2016's made me quite happy :)

U said they were "heavy modded". Is that FBO or did they have like aftermarket turbos? Ty again

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
U said they were "heavy modded". Is that FBO or did they have like aftermarket turbos? Ty again
I honestly don't recall if they have an big turbo or not. If memory serves correctly they did have a tune and a bunch of other common bolt ons such as CAI, IC and down pipe. It was the only mention I'd see of a failed 2016 EB unless they had a typo and it was actually a 2015...now if only I could find the thread lol.

Busser48

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost
I honestly don't recall if they have an big turbo or not. If memory serves correctly they did have a tune and a bunch of other common bolt ons such as CAI, IC and down pipe. It was the only mention I'd see of a failed 2016 EB unless they had a typo and it was actually a 2015...now if only I could find the thread lol.
All good, no biggie. I'm at 34k and going strong with fbo, still driving strong...... So far.

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All good, no biggie. I'm at 34k and going strong with fbo, still driving strong...... So far.
BTW, regarding the wrist pin re-design for 2016 EB's, it MAY have been Glenn G. who said that to me in a PM after I PM'ed him with some questions after I read his interview with the ex-ford global employee (his college professor) on how the 2.3L was purposely de-tuned.

Also remember, with any new product, there are always teething pains. The more complex the product, the more likely the issues. I would expect more issues with 2015 EB's than with 2016's. I would expect more issues on average with 2016 EB's than with 2017 EB's...in my experience later year production models of a particular series are usually better overall quality as production issues are sorted out and if there are any design flaws, they are usually resolved.

However, I"m not sure of the source Glenn got that information from about the wrist pins being re-designed for 2016 models and I don't think he was even 100% on it's validity (may have heard so from the "professor").

Regardless, there are quite a few 2015's still running just fine and it's entirely possible it was manufacturing related as opposed to design or perhaps a little of both (meaning a slight manufacturing imperfection could cause failure where updating the design would mitigate that issue).

And that's good to hear on your 2016, that gives me more confidence in mine. I'm only at 3400 miles, mine was May 2016 build (so far just a UPR dual valve cc and Brisk RR14YS plugs, Levels Gen 3 Street IC arrives tomorrow, got a Livernois tune coming and also boomba BOV), so probably one of the most recent builds on here unless someone just picked one up (although some sit on lots for several months, so even then you might not get that recent, the dealer I went to kept trying to sell me a red one that an April build for 1k less as there is an incentive to sell the oldest car on the lot first, I just didn't want the red color so I stuck to my guns and got the metallic grey).

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
I actually have one that is in process currently! I can get with the engine build supervisor in the morning, and get you guys an update on what the lead time is to get that engine done.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
So after checking upon the progress of the 2.3 that is currently being built for stock we are 10-14 days out depending upon the your build's power level. If you need the block to have our proprietary sleeve and bore brace system installed obviously that additional machining and installation requires the latter end of that timeframe.

OP
OP
doulos4jc

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Thanks everyone. I ended going with an OEM engine just to get myself back on the road so I can get back and forth to work so I can pay for all of this.

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
Thanks everyone. I ended going with an OEM engine just to get myself back on the road so I can get back and forth to work so I can pay for all of this.
If you don't mind sharing the total cost of the engine? I want to plan for these things just in case.

OP
OP
doulos4jc

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
The car is at a local Ford dealership with a possibility that it will be covered under warranty. If not, I'll get an estimate from them. Waiting on an estimate from another independent shop. As of now I have one estimate of 5274.71 tax, labor, engine, out the door on the road.
Sponsored