Sponsored

AIR Suspension Trunk Setups

Squints2See

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
My one compressor puts out more air and is quieter than dual 440 Via pumps. That's why I chose it. Also, I have a flow control valve on the exhaust side so I can slow down the lowering. For the guy that asked......my trunk is not "truck liner", it has a 3M sound dampening coat followed up by a texture paint.
Where did you run the 3/8" lines? I've heard that they are a bear to run and you cannot run them through the sill plate from the front of the car. I did some research today on the air zenith versus the viair and a lot of reviewers recommended the viair for reliability. Hopefully you'll be good.

Is that a 4 gallon tank in your setup and if so what brand is it?
Sponsored

Squints2See

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Another question....How low can you actually drive with an air lift setup. Some pics would be cool of ride height if anyone has any.

DoingOK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium, Recaros & PP
Where did you run the 3/8" lines? I've heard that they are a bear to run and you cannot run them through the sill plate from the front of the car. I did some research today on the air zenith versus the viair and a lot of reviewers recommended the viair for reliability. Hopefully you'll be good.

Is that a 4 gallon tank in your setup and if so what brand is it?

I ran the lines up along the frame rail on one side and in the extra "brake line tract" on the other side. Not sure what reviews you read, but everything I've read shows the Air Zenith to be a superior pump in many ways. My system is extremely quiet compared to a few friends I know with air setups. There is some extra engineering involved to make my system quiet. Sound sphere absorbers, rubber mounts, etc. I was in nuclear engineering on a submarine so we are pretty well versed in sound silencing. The tank I have is a 4 gallon seamless aluminum tank from Specialty Suspension.

OP
OP
NickGoBlue

NickGoBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Oxford White 5.0
The problem with the Air Zenith is that they draw way more power and run extremely hot. They have a tendency to burn up fast and don't last nearly as long as Viair. But while you run an Air Zenith yes it will fill up the tank fast. But you can run twin Viair pumps and it will fill faster and use less power.

DoingOK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry fella......your information is outdated. Looks like you happened upon some old information from several years ago. There are many comparison charts of various setups out there. Just trying to keep people informed. Trust me........I spent several days pouring over information (unfortunately a lot from young kids with zero engineering sense). My pump runs a shorter length of time, uses less power and the integrated fan never even kicks on. Superior build quality and very easy to rebuild in the future. This is the new style unit.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
NickGoBlue

NickGoBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Oxford White 5.0
Well you obviously don't know who I am lol. But you can go ahead and pour over your data all you like. I don't go by what you can google, I prefer to use real life data and since ive been a dealer for Airlift for several years and personally bagged 100's of vehicles I might know a thing or two. But best of luck to ya! Your setup looks good regardless.

Squints2See

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
2 tanks?

Question NickGoBlue....

I want to conceal my setup in the spare wheel wheel. The two setups that I have seen that will work are either a 4 gallon tank by Specialty Suspension in the rear of the wheel well against the back wall of the trunk or two 3 gallon tanks, 1 on each side kind of laid out like the sides of a triangle (45 degree angle). The scenario that had the two smaller tanks had 2 compressors. If I am just going to do one, would there be alot involved in the way of connecting them together with all the other components? How would that work with one compressor?

Thanks

DoingOK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good luck with your search Squints......and hopefully NickGoBlue can point you in the right direction ;-) Just get some professional help and don't do the half-assed crap I see all the time. I've been asked many times to help build out a system since my standards far exceed what I've seen thrown together in a "shop".

Last edited:

Squints2See

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
DoingOk, if you have insight in regards to the scenario I am asking about by all means please share. I addressed NickGoBlue specifically because he indicated he was an installer, and my question really has more to do with the logistics/mechanics of the plumbing and not so much on what brand is better than another, lol. Obviously you guys have a difference of opinion on who makes a better compressor, and I admittedly probably did 20 minutes of googling on that topic, which yielded me results of preference of the VIAIR brand due to reliability, however I did not pay attention to how old the posts were. So I truly have no reliable data to go on, and will stay out of that fight :)

I was not aware that you have built/designed previous systems and figured you were just a regular Joe like me who did a lot of research on your own as to what parts you wanted in your system.

So let me rephrase my question, if there is anyone out there that knows whether or not you can do two tanks with one compressor, and if so, benefits or drawbacks to that scenario please feel free to share.

Thanks

OP
OP
NickGoBlue

NickGoBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Oxford White 5.0
Can you? Yes Should you? No
It's just a lot of extra work for your conpressor to fill two tanks.

Sponsored

Tobyboom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 magnetic GT PP
Can you? Yes Should you? No
It's just a lot of extra work for your conpressor to fill two tanks.
Two 3 gallon tanks with one compressor is no more work than a 6 gallon with one compressor... Air volume is air volume. You can have SIX one gallon tanks, and it will take the same amount of compressor power to fill those that it does to fill ONE six gallon.

My setup is a single 7 gallon tank with a single Viair compressor and I have had ZERO issues except for the crappy check valve that the compressor came with. I'd suggest replacing that before installing the system.

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
Here's my trunk setup before I did the train horn install.
22995666993_3e9980a53e_b.jpg

Here's the setup after the train horn install along with some added wire loom.
26436926825_7fe07a5bd4_b.jpg

With the tire well covered, you wouldn't even know it was all there lol.
22994541754_c348d1a677_b.jpg

26601772083_506039a2c1_b.jpg

Squints2See

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red GT Premium
Air Horn, I love it! Trunk looks good. I guess I am going to do the same setup rather than full with two tanks. Viair recommends a maximum size of 5 gallons for their compressor (440), and I am planning on just doing one for costing savings. Is the second pump really worth the additional cost? I know in theory it would fill the tank twice as fast but I seriously doubt that in reality...

stresstest

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2016 GT Premium
Can you get a couple pics of the horn install and the make/model horn you used. I'm seriously considering one.

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
Air Horn, I love it! Trunk looks good. I guess I am going to do the same setup rather than full with two tanks. Viair recommends a maximum size of 5 gallons for their compressor (440), and I am planning on just doing one for costing savings. Is the second pump really worth the additional cost? I know in theory it would fill the tank twice as fast but I seriously doubt that in reality...
Thanks man! Personally it's worth it. When you're already spending 3k on the setup, what's another ~$200 for an additional compressor. It fills it up significantly faster, and also gives you a fail-safe in case one fails.

Can you get a couple pics of the horn install and the make/model horn you used. I'm seriously considering one.
I did a whole write-up thread a few months ago, http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50099 . :thumbsup:
Sponsored