Sponsored

April 2016 Mustang Sales Numbers Released

WindveilNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium convertible
The Down side

It is not just those in the UK and down under with a long wait. I ordered my '16 GT premium vert on March 15 and it will not even be built until May 23d. I am certainly better off than those waiting a year, but 3 + months is longer than I expected by at least a month.

Also, don't be so sure that chevy will not close the gap. Mustang does not seem to be planning too much improvement for 2017 across the line (maybe a GT500 but those are going to be rare) so Chevy's recent improvements have time to get traction - at least until the refresh in'18.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The Mustang is just more appealing to the regular crowd while the Camaro is geared towards the enthusiast crowd. Not saying the Mustang is not an enthusiast car (Just look at the trim levels) but it does cater to your more casual buyer.

Just sit in a Camaro and take one for a test drive and you'll see (or not, literally) what I mean. Doesn't matter what trim.

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
I can't see out the Camaro, and I like the looks of the Mustang, so what if it is 2/10s quicker in 1/4 mile...........

I get more comments about my Mustang than the Corvette. I am going to take them both to a car show in a couple weeks and it will be interesting to hear what people say.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I can't see out the Camaro, and I like the looks of the Mustang, so what if it is 2/10s quicker in 1/4 mile...........

I get more comments about my Mustang than the Corvette. I am going to take them both to a car show in a couple weeks and it will be interesting to hear what people say.
Can't see out of that's your poor man's Lambo right there.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
The Mustang is just more appealing to the regular crowd while the Camaro is geared towards the enthusiast crowd. Not saying the Mustang is not an enthusiast car (Just look at the trim levels) but it does cater to your more casual buyer.

Just sit in a Camaro and take one for a test drive and you'll see (or not, literally) what I mean. Doesn't matter what trim.
Don't disagree, but just the enthusiast crowd is not enough to sustain the viability of the model. GM went down that road before with the Camaro and look what happened. It seems GM sells a higher priced car with more performance direct from the factory while Ford has chosen a lower initial price-point to get in a Mustang and let's the buyer decide how far they want to take the performance.

Unless you run a class that requires factory-stock cars, it really doesn't matter that one car is a few ticks faster/slower than the other. On the street, in stock cars, it almost always ends up being the driver that determines the outcome of a contest of speed. But then, all some want to talk about it the capability of a given car, not real world results.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mdnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT/PP RubyRed
If the canaro highest month sale equal to the mustang lowest month sale that still be good enough to keep camaro around. Camaro share almost every parts in gm part bin. So the cost of R&D for camaro are very low. GM making a killing on camaro.
Problem about that is the rest of the Alpha platform is also having a hard time selling, hard to make money when the platform in general is failing.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f15/cadillacs-problem-cars-cant-sell-248769/

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think they must be out of tired excuses over on Camaro6, as they are pretty much ignoring the subject. I figured that would be the case once sales continued to trail by a significant margin even after "all the trims" were available for delivery.

However, I still expect a bunch of the usual suspects to come into this thread and post up their take on why the 6thGen Camaro is trailing the Mustang so bad despite being the newer car.

Problem about that is the rest of the Alpha platform is also having a hard time selling, hard to make money when the platform in general is failing.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f15/cadillacs-problem-cars-cant-sell-248769/
IMO, the reason for the dismal sales for Cadillac is the same as it is for the Camaro. In both cases, they pretty much carried over the exterior styling of the previous generation over to a new platform. People want more design separation between model years, and simply bettering the performance of a model is not going to put buyers in showrooms in any real numbers. I, and a few others, thought this would be the case when I first saw the "new" 6thGen Camaro and, it seems, we were dead on right.

DABKO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt & 2001 DHG Bullitt

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
This is not rocket science though guys. The Mustang is the cheaper, better packaged car. People see with X plan, that they can get a fast V8 for thousands less. That being said, I know chevy would like to see a higher number, but 7-8k a month will keep the Camaro around for a long time. Which is great for everyone!

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
I still think its too early to write off the Camaro. Give it a full year that its out before judging its sales.

That or people cant stand how shitty the ergonomics and visibility are!

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
I don't think it's a "token" response...he has said the same thing over on Camaro6 when they're deciding to not ignore the news.

it's only a matter of time before Enator posts the stats, then we'll really see the ignoring and "sales don't matter" game start up.

I'm going to predict..about 6 posts before we see the "I'm glad they're not everywhere, I like having a more rare car" ..which is usually the red flag pointing at a massive idiot.

rvlyssup

Vag...Gun...Stang-NUT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rand
Vehicle(s)
Lotsa...
I don't think it's a "token" response...he has said the same thing over on Camaro6 when they're deciding to not ignore the news.

it's only a matter of time before Enator posts the stats, then we'll really see the ignoring and "sales don't matter" game start up.

I'm going to predict..about 6 posts before we see the "I'm glad they're not everywhere, I like having a more rare car" ..which is usually the red flag pointing at a massive idiot.
:lol:

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Token response from one of said "usual suspects". We know you wanted to say more, but I guess you decided to just suck it up and pretend this news is not a disappointment to you.;)

Edit: I knew you would have to say more!
Dude, I may get banned for this, but STFU. I love the S550. I was an inch from trading my V for one when they first came out. I have praised the platform far more than mentioned its short comings. This news does not disappoint me. The exact opposite. This is great news for car enthusiasts, because it means that more than 30k rear wheel drive, V8 sports cars are being sold from US car makers. The market is demanding that they still make them. Why is the hell would I be mad or disappointed?

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

The same red flag usually points to the "all I see driving Mustangs are women". Welcome to the 21st century, where women have as much buying power as men. If you're okay with alienating that demographic, it might help explain the dismal sales numbers.
Sponsored