Sponsored

Official Resonator Delete Thread

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I don't know what it's called but the sound and feel of the wind in the car, it feels like it's pushing and pulling your eardrums. Put your backseats down, put your windows down, then drive above 60 mph and you'll know what I mean.
The wind is buffeting. Similar to a car that has 4 windows, two fronts are closed, rears wide open will cause the same issue.
Sponsored

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
The wind is buffeting. Similar to a car that has 4 windows, two fronts are closed, rears wide open will cause the same issue.
Yep, happens in our 2012 Volt...and just about every other car we've owned.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I don't know what it's called but the sound and feel of the wind in the car, it feels like it's pushing and pulling your eardrums. Put your backseats down, put your windows down, then drive above 60 mph and you'll know what I mean.
I gets bad if I roll down only 1 side window, can't take it more than a few seconds. It gets much better with both windows down. If I open both about 2" I get none of that.

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
For me the stock active exhaust in the GT350 is absolutely perfect and I would not touch a thing. I had the experience of deleting the resonator suitcase in my previous S550 PP 2015 and it was way too loud for my taste. I mean NASCAR loud at full throttle.

The resonators in the Shelby are two smaller sized bullets and weigh less than the 15pd suitcase resonator in the Mustang GT. There's no improvement in performance from just deleting the resonators, the exhaust will be raspier, and will produce unwanted noise (drone) in the cabin.

I guess to delete or not depends on how you drive and both your (and your siginificant other's) level of tolerance to noise specially as growing older.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
That's a false statement, there is no drone. Drone is associated with a resonance while cruising in top gear, the valve close automatically in 6th and there is no real difference in sound at that point. Even cruising in 5th at higher rpm results in no drone. Louder and slightly raspier yes, drone no. I had mine cut out almost immediately and the wife loves how it sounds

I had no resonators and GT500 axle backs in my 2012 GT, also no drone, the magnaflow comp system is anther story.

Last edited:

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I gets bad if I roll down only 1 side window, can't take it more than a few seconds. It gets much better with both windows down. If I open both about 2" I get none of that.
I always drop the passenger window an inch or 3 depending on my speed and the weather if its not hot enough to drop both.

bentley1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby (White with DIB OTT Stripes) #1233
I'm scheduled to get mine done on Tuesday of next week....can't wait!!! The video above sold me in no time....AMAZING!!! Yet another way for me to ensure I am kicked off my neighbor's Christmas card list :p

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
My opinion is that removing the resonators increases unwanted noise to the point that it changes the exhaust system as it was designed, call it drone in high gear, or whatever. An opinion cannot be false- it's just an opinion.

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
I have never had problems with the windows down at high speeds, I did it today cuising at 70. I always put my windows down, its the second thing I do after the seat belt. Maybe beacuse I have been doing it for 9 years I am use to whatever you guys do not like.

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
Ok so if I remove my resonators and I do not like it ( doubt it ) but my friend made me second guess because he would not bring this car to a shop and chop the exhaust. He said he only does stuff that is reversible. So If I do take them out, can I just weld them back in like they were? Or is there other problems/ hardware issues I do not know about?

Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
You can always weld them back in, thats all they do when they weld in the straight segment of pipe

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Ok so if I remove my resonators and I do not like it ( doubt it ) but my friend made me second guess because he would not bring this car to a shop and chop the exhaust. He said he only does stuff that is reversible. So If I do take them out, can I just weld them back in like they were? Or is there other problems/ hardware issues I do not know about?
I wanted to remove the resonators but then I let my brother drive my car as I waited at the house. I could hear it from at least a 1/4 mile away when he would get on it (I'm in a densely packed suburban neighborhood). Made me decide once good weather is here then the windows down would be good enough as is. BTW I attended the Track Attack program and was running 110-115 with the windows down and didn't have objectionable buffeting. Maybe the helmet is what made the difference, dunno.

If I get to hear an R in person and it is killer then maybe I'll change my mind again.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
That's the beauty of active mufflers. If it pisses your neighbors off put it in normal mode.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
I actually hated it for the first few days and almost regretted doing it. Then I drove around with the rear seats folded down for a couple days, which made it even louder in the car. Put the rear seats back up and now it's PERFECT! :thumbsup:

crazymayhem

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB
anybody seen a price on the gt350r exhaust from the cats back? the full piece? I think its part no 5230 on fordparts.com, but thats 2200 to 2800 which seems pretty steep...
Sponsored