Sponsored

Official Resonator Delete Thread

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
Exactly how it should've come. I try to start mine up in the morning while the garage door is opening as to offset the sound but its still pretty loud.

It does sound mean/angry now. 0-6000rpm's is where i notice on the sound, above that it sounds kind of the same as equipped w/ resonators.
Glad to hear that because 6000-8250 rpm is already perfect with resonators.

Would you say it sounds snappier in the lower rpm range now when you tap the throttle?
Sponsored

STGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Everyone I've given a ride to after the resonators have been removed says the car just sounds so much better. They all have said it was the right move. But...you'll only hear the difference in sport mode. In 6th gear it still gets quiet. You really do end up with a lot of control over the exhaust.

Last edited:

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
Glad to hear that because 6000-8250 rpm is already perfect with resonators.

Would you say it sounds snappier in the lower rpm range now when you tap the throttle?
Snappier like a pitbull; not like a boston terrier :eyebulge:

STGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It does sound better in the lower rpm range. And...yes...like pit bull on steroids. It's a beautiful, powerful sound.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
I took the "R" plunge yesterday as well.

It's way, way raspy and way, way loud with the cats off. The valved pipe appears to be basically straight through on the muffler, so that means that pipe is basically a direct dump from the engine at this point. I'm going to be putting the cats back on to give some resemblance of civility.
IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1281.jpg
IMG_1285.jpg
IMG_1284.jpg
IMG_1283.jpg

Sponsored

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Very cool. Did you weld the factory heat shield back on or create your own?

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Very cool. Did you weld the factory heat shield back on or create your own?
Yeah, the very shiny bit is the factory heat shield that's just retacked to the pipes. It's almost polished it's so shiny and, oddly, form fitted. It was originally tacked at one end and then banded together at a few points.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yeah, the very shiny bit is the factory heat shield that's just retacked to the pipes. It's almost polished it's so shiny and, oddly, form fitted. It was originally tacked at one end and then banded together at a few points.
I saw the bands and the muffler shop was going to pick up some new ones and some SS pipe to do this on Monday. Unfortunately I don't have your welding skills. I never thought of just tacking the heat shields back on there rather than replacing the bands.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I saw the bands and the muffler shop was going to pick up some new ones and some SS pipe to do this on Monday. Unfortunately I don't have your welding skills. I never thought of just tacking the heat shields back on there rather than replacing the bands.
To be fair, I cheated. This is my fabricator buddy with the skills. :) But yeah, doesn't appear to be any problem with just welding it back on there. It shouldn't ever have to come off for any reason.

buggy whip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford pinto, '16 GT350/OxFo/ Trac/Stripe delete
Don't know if you have Base-Tech or Track model.
When I had my resonators removed, I did a semi wrap of Muffler Armor, made by Heat Shield, over the cats. This to deflect heat away from the transmission. The cats generate a lot of heat are very close to trans. as you know, since you've crawled under your car.

Sponsored

AMpowerJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Ordering ...
Nice work mattlqx

FWIW I had the shop leave the heat shield off. We couldn't really see what it was protecting. Some other shields are over the rubber boots on the drive shaft which make sense but this shield was just over the metal. Plus with the 2.5" piping instead of the larger resonators, the pipe isn't very close to the drive shaft. But it will not hurt anything either to leave it in place since the factory had it.

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
Very excited to hear how ridiculous the car is without cats. Can't wait for no cats and no resonators. lol

F1-R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aliek "D12"
Vehicle(s)
16' GT350 AG Track P. w/ blk OTT stripes/b. roof
Don't know if you have Base-Tech or Track model.
When I had my resonators removed, I did a semi wrap of Muffler Armor, made by Heat Shield, over the cats. This to deflect heat away from the transmission. The cats generate a lot of heat are very close to trans. as you know, since you've crawled under your car.
Is there any chance you can please post some pictures of your work done so I can show the shop here when I do mine? I have a Track Package and want to remove the resonators and soon as it gets here in a couple of weeks. And while I'm at it, why not give the trans. a little extra cooling. Thanks.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
I've now run 4 setups on my car.

1) Stock. Resonators + Cats + Mufflers
2) No Cats + Stock Resonators and Mufflers
3) No Cats, no Resonators + Stock Mufflers
4) No Resonators + Stock Cats and Mufflers

Right now I'm on setup #4 and the resonator removal is permanent. So which did I like best? In terms of volume and sound, I think #2, just removing the cats. It was loud, really loud and had a really good tone without being overbearingly harsh. Removing the resonators too made it seem more weezy, maybe more like it was slightly underwater. The downfall of not running the cats though is the fumes (and being illegal and killing polar bears). It wasn't something I would run permanently on this as a street car. If it was a track-only car, that'd be a different story, but then I wouldn't have gotten the Tech pack. ;)

So now I've put the cats back on, don't have to worry about the CEL on my stock tune, and won't piss off my neighbors or anybody within 100 feet of me and I don't feel like I'm sucking on the tailpipe just sitting in the driver seat. I'm fine with this. The resonator delete gives it much of the same growly characteristic of not running cats except for the volume being way lower, maybe even a few more pops when lifting off the throttle.

What is right for you? It all depends on what you're looking for. Track-only or can live with the consequences? Take the cats off but leave the resonators on. Want a little bit "more" from the stock setup? Just take the resonators off. I really don't recommend taking both off. But that's just my opinion.

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
... The downfall of not running the cats though is the fumes (and being illegal and killing polar bears)....
Don't worry about the polar bears.

"... global [polar bear] population size (described by officials as a “tentative guess“) appears to have grown... as the maximum estimated number was 28,370 in 1993 (Wiig and colleagues 1995; range 21,470-28,370) but rose to 31,000 in 2015*(Wiig and colleagues 2015, [pdf*here] aka*2015 IUCN Red List*assessment; range 20,000-31,000)."

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2016/02/...have-failed-as-global-population-hits-20-31k/
Sponsored