Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
I've now run 4 setups on my car.

1) Stock. Resonators + Cats + Mufflers
2) No Cats + Stock Resonators and Mufflers
3) No Cats, no Resonators + Stock Mufflers
4) No Resonators + Stock Cats and Mufflers

Right now I'm on setup #4 and the resonator removal is permanent. So which did I like best? In terms of volume and sound, I think #2, just removing the cats. It was loud, really loud and had a really good tone without being overbearingly harsh. Removing the resonators too made it seem more weezy, maybe more like it was slightly underwater. The downfall of not running the cats though is the fumes (and being illegal and killing polar bears). It wasn't something I would run permanently on this as a street car. If it was a track-only car, that'd be a different story, but then I wouldn't have gotten the Tech pack. ;)

So now I've put the cats back on, don't have to worry about the CEL on my stock tune, and won't piss off my neighbors or anybody within 100 feet of me and I don't feel like I'm sucking on the tailpipe just sitting in the driver seat. I'm fine with this. The resonator delete gives it much of the same growly characteristic of not running cats except for the volume being way lower, maybe even a few more pops when lifting off the throttle.

What is right for you? It all depends on what you're looking for. Track-only or can live with the consequences? Take the cats off but leave the resonators on. Want a little bit "more" from the stock setup? Just take the resonators off. I really don't recommend taking both off. But that's just my opinion.
With all said and done, where does number 1 rank for you? I am coming from a built and cammed GT500 without cats and it was damn loud even with stock mufflers. I am hoping to have something more civil, but not like a stock 07-09 GT500. I'd like to drive in sport and leave it alone, but removing the resonators is tempting. Is it borderline obnoxious loud in sport without the rez?
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
With all said and done, where does number 1 rank for you? I am coming from a built and cammed GT500 without cats and it was damn loud even with stock mufflers. I am hoping to have something more civil, but not like a stock 07-09 GT500. I'd like to drive in sport and leave it alone, but removing the resonators is tempting. Is it borderline obnoxious loud in sport without the rez?
Nope, not at all. It's marginally louder without the resonators but nowhere near wake-the-baby loud as with the cats off. It's mostly a raspiness change.

Completely stock is good but sometimes I just can't leave well enough alone and I had other reasons as well for putting the test pipes on. If you don't have your car yet, wait to get it until you sell yourself on something different. It's great out of the box. But there's a lot left in it if you want to make the aforementioned trade offs.

Reactions: CSL

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black

Right now I'm on setup #4 and the resonator removal is permanent. So which did I like best? In terms of volume and sound, I think #2, just removing the cats. It was loud, really loud and had a really good tone without being overbearingly harsh. Removing the resonators too made it seem more weezy, maybe more like it was slightly underwater. The downfall of not running the cats though is the fumes (and being illegal and killing polar bears). It wasn't something I would run permanently on this as a street car. If it was a track-only car, that'd be a different story, but then I wouldn't have gotten the Tech pack. ;)

So now I've put the cats back on, don't have to worry about the CEL on my stock tune, and won't piss off my neighbors or anybody within 100 feet of me and I don't feel like I'm sucking on the tailpipe just sitting in the driver seat. I'm fine with this. The resonator delete gives it much of the same growly characteristic of not running cats except for the volume being way lower, maybe even a few more pops when lifting off the throttle.

What is right for you? It all depends on what you're looking for. Track-only or can live with the consequences? Take the cats off but leave the resonators on. Want a little bit "more" from the stock setup? Just take the resonators off. I really don't recommend taking both off. But that's just my opinion.
I think you've convinced me to leave my resonators for now. I'm going to see how it sounds with just the cat deletes.

SchultzLT1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 AG Tech Pack
I wish all those #1-4 had sound clips. Appreciate your work with the write up tho

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7

I wish all those #1-4 had sound clips. Appreciate your work with the write up tho

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

Didn't have a chance to get it with no cats or resonators. The catless video was so loud it caused the video to stop recording.

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Had mine cut out today and welded 3" SS straight pipes in their place. Also replaced the heat shield with new clamps. The sound difference is amazing. Note to Ford......delete them in the GT350 for '17 just like the R :cool:

Blaze489

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 SHELBY GT350 Magnetic Track Pack
Had mine cut out today and welded 3" SS straight pipes in their place. Also replaced the heat shield with new clamps. The sound difference is amazing. Note to Ford......delete them in the GT350 for '17 just like the R :cool:
Everyone I noticed except you replaced it with 2.5'' not 3''. Is there a reason why you went to 3'', I'm guessing you upgraded the rest of your exhaust to 3''?

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Everyone I noticed except you replaced it with 2.5'' not 3''. Is there a reason why you went to 3'', I'm guessing you upgraded the rest of your exhaust to 3''?
It's actually 2-3/4". It's a "nominal" 3" exhaust.....like a 2" x 4" is only 1.5" wide.......

Sponsored

KGTG350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
16' GT 350
Removing Resonators

Didn't have a chance to get it with no cats or resonators. The catless video was so loud it caused the video to stop recording.

What was the last video set up?
Stock Cats and no resonators?

Thanks for this!

KGTG350 - 16' GT350

Jubilex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT350
So for people who went to a generic muffler shop, I'm assuming they didn't use stainless steel for your pipes? Would it be ok not to?

Also how many have removed the heat shield, and if not how did you re-attach it to the new configuration.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
most muffler shops carry SST pipe

cloud9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
So for people who went to a generic muffler shop, I'm assuming they didn't use stainless steel for your pipes? Would it be ok not to?

Also how many have removed the heat shield, and if not how did you re-attach it to the new configuration.
The shop I used went out and obtained SS pipe and the same clamps used by Ford for the heat shield.
Sponsored