Sponsored

AWD Stang?

Moddiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I think there are a few levels of snow here. There is snow 1-10 inches. Then there are the parts of the country that regularly have 40+ inches of snow each winter. Snow tires or not, a mustang isn't going to do well in those circumstances.
In that case no car would. Lifted truck or suv would be needed.
Sponsored

GTA Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT350
C'mon guys! Would you drive the car over snow that is deeper than the car's ground clearance? Really?

DIBS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB S550 EB
I put some DWS 06 all season tires on the Mustang so I can drive it when it's cold or rainy, but I drive the Jeep when there is snow or ice.

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
When I did have my Mustang, I drove it through snow no problems. I never got stuck, but I also knew when there was to much snow to take the Mustang. You just have to smart about it

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Just keep in mind that AWD only buys you one thing - traction in forward motion. AWD doesn't help with braking, turning or over/understeer. Remember, when your car is sliding down a hill sideways, noone cares how many wheels are spinning ;)

A second set of wheels with proper winter tyres is the answer.
Got my Audi stuck in deep snow quite a few times to know AWD ain't godsend (granted, it's riding on Conti DWS, but still)

Tires make or break the car, awd on summers is like going out in the snow all dressed up wearing converses while snow tires in summer are obviously snow boots

Countless videos on YouTube that show rwd handling winter like a boss, better to suck it up and get the new tires than wish for something that will never happen

OP
OP
Braski

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like I'm on my own on a AWD stang. I have a 4WD truck to drive when it snows but just liked the thought of having AWD for anytime road surface were not ideal. PA is known for having poor roads but the new IRS helps keep her ass planted on all bumps. Some people thought IRS would never happen either.

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
I'm sure there's a market for AWD Mustang, especially northern states and overseas so I don't think it would hurt to add this AWD option.

Performance wise, Ford could also build it with light materials and tune it really well (easy switch on/off, automatically on for 1st gear only, etc) and drop it in the GT500 (as an option).

Trappen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 ecoboost premium
i would just for the AWD Fusion Sport if I wanted to go that route.

Sponsored

grantourer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I don't think Ford is really interested in the R&D costs for such a thing to take place. The mustang is a GT car already tipping the scales at 3700+. The main goal for the Mustang is its pricepoint. 5 years ago you couldn't touch a 435hp car anywhere for less than 50k. If you want to offset the weight of such a system you are looking at Aluminum body. I think it would just drive the price of the Mustang to a place where it couldn't be competitive.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I don't think Ford is really interested in the R&D costs for such a thing to take place. The mustang is a GT car already tipping the scales at 3700+. The main goal for the Mustang is its pricepoint. 5 years ago you couldn't touch a 435hp car anywhere for less than 50k. If you want to offset the weight of such a system you are looking at Aluminum body. I think it would just drive the price of the Mustang to a place where it couldn't be competitive.
Well with AWD and 450hp, it will get to 60 under 3.5s which might be corvette killer for less than half the cost.

MEAN427

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Forrest
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Premium, 67 Fastback 427

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
huh? im driving my car just fine still on pzero summer tires, had the snow storm last week. obv im not driving in the snow but roads are clear?

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
It is inevitable. If the Mustang will see its 100th Birthday or even 75, it will have to become all electric much in the way of the Tesla. Hydrogen is an option and maybe further out but electric will be the answer sooner rather than later. Of course it will have sub 4 sec 0-60 and will outperform anything we can think of today im sure because tech keeps advancing. I for one would happily buy one as its the name and the history that appeals to me, that history will be much richer and last a lot longer if the car adapts to the times.
Sponsored