Whats my friend need to win at shows?

Austin1992

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
After-market body mods are kind of iffy. Lots of people think they look tacky. A different hood only works if there is a reason you would need a different hood. I think the best bet would be decent wheels, detail work on the body trim and lots of work under the hood. As it is, nobody is going to look twice; there's nothing that sets it apart. I think a wicked twin turbo setup would help a lot. He wouldn't have to run a lot of boost, just make it look like it; fancy BOVs, big IC, stuff like that.
That’s about what I was going to say. There’s a show and shine during a diesel truck event they do at the fair grounds out here. There was a basic looking 05ish Silverado 1500 in it and I barely glanced at it from the back, wondered why it was even there. Went down the next isle where the front was and noticed the procharger and then went over and checked it out. Something like that is really going to set you apart being a v6 auto.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I showed mine since 2015 and nothing but gentle compliments. I did a total makeover over winter and took 3rd place "Best Modern Muscle Car" at the Saratoga Automobile Museum last week. It took a total wrap job, new grill, wheels, upholstery, badging, and engine bling. Point is, you need to be unique and stand out, not just a nice shiny car.
3rd place.jpg
351168074_793879435476732_2376070504984731478_n.jpg
IMG_20230603_132222806_HDR.jpg

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Too much depends on demographics/target audience. What the old-timers like versus the "kids" is night and day... That's the thing with cars like Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers and Corvettes... They transcend generations and significant style trends. Don't chase awards with these cars... Too many people to please. Just do what you like and enjoy! (Unless you buy a GT350 or 500... Then it's an instant win)...

Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
The trophy should be having a car that you love to drive.

A common item of all the cars you posted with the exception of the Ford GT.2 is that they all have 8 cylinders.

It might be more cost effective to ditch all the ideas of how to make a V6 a winning show car, save that money and buy a GT/M1/Shelby or similar car.

This might not be what you or your friend wants to hear but good luck

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like ricey stuff is favored at shows... the more stuff you add, the more votes.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The trophy should be having a car that you love to drive.

A common item of all the cars you posted with the exception of the Ford GT.2 is that they all have 8 cylinders.

It might be more cost effective to ditch all the ideas of how to make a V6 a winning show car, save that money and buy a GT/M1/Shelby or similar car.

This might not be what you or your friend wants to hear but good luck
Since the GT4 cars start as V6 bodies in White I can see how converting a V6 to look like a GT4 car could be appealing. But I'm sure this is not what is winning shows though.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The recommendations I can give from many years experience in the hobby and going to shows both as a participant and spectator:

Don't go to ANY show with the expectation of winning.

If you do, it's not going to be "fun" much longer because then you will feel like you spent X-hours preparing for a "win" and don't get anything at all - then for some folks it becomes a chore.

Go to meet people and show off the ride. If you win, you win and a "surprise" win is a better experience rather than going with an expectation of winning.

--

As far as what else can be done -
For one and this isn't a dig, but that engine bay needs a good cleaning. A good and clean engine bay is more appealing than one with dust/grime from daily use. I'm not saying you need to go all out, but just a simple clean/wash using Simple Green will definitely make a big difference.

--

If the car has mods beyond stock, maybe put together a binder with the specs etc or even some do a poster board display. There's many different ways to show/display what has been done to the car. Many ideas can be grabbed from online images of car shows.

--

Best of luck (and nice Bronco too!).

Last edited:

MR2Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Sorry buddy, the only shows 6G members are winning are shows with dedicated S550 trophies. I go to shows all the time and the winning cars are always either purple or a 1960's hot rod.
The S550 does come in purple...

I would think that, you'd either need to get pretty crazy with the modifications, or keep the car totally showroom stock with 3 miles on it to win a typical car show. Probably easier if you have an unusual set of options, like a High Output Ecoboost with all the Performance Pack options, in Mischeivous Purple Metallic and the white stripe package.

Edit: Or one of the fancy schmancy high performance versions, like a GT350R or Mach 1.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
Sorry buddy, the only shows 6G members are winning are shows with dedicated S550 trophies. I go to shows all the time and the winning cars are always either purple or a 1960's hot rod.
Absolutely--that's been my experience and there are no two ways around it. You either need dump a lot of money into modifications and/or cosmetics to attract the attention of those who vote and that's no guarantee.

RJ

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

I would think that, you'd either need to get pretty crazy with the modifications, or keep the car totally showroom stock with 3 miles on it to win a typical car show. Probably easier if you have an unusual set of options, like a High Output Ecoboost with all the Performance Pack options, in Mischeivous Purple Metallic and the white stripe package.

Edit: Or one of the fancy schmancy high performance versions, like a GT350R or Mach 1.
I've had the Mach (with several eye-catching visual mods) to about 12 shows in the past year and have won one award: 2nd place in the S550 class at last fall's All-Ford show.

At least in this area, all people really care about are restored hot rods.

OP
OP
JoeSpeed

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
The recommendations I can give from many years experience in the hobby and going to shows both as a participant and spectator:

Don't go to ANY show with the expectation of winning.

If you do, it's not going to be "fun" much longer because then you will feel like you spent X-hours preparing for a "win" and so t get anything at all - then for some folks it becomes a chore.

Go to meet people and show off the ride. If you win, you win and a "surprise" win is a better experience rather than going with an expectation of winning.

--

As far as what else can be done -
For one and this isn't a dig, but that engine bay needs a good cleaning. A hood and clean engine bay is more appealing than one with dust/grime from daily use. I'm not saying you need to go all out, but just a simple clean/wash using Simple Green will definitely make a big difference.

--

If the car has mods beyond stock, maybe put together a binder with the specs etc or even some do a poster board display. There's many different ways to show/display what has been done to the car. Many ideas can be grabbed from online images of car shows.

--

Best of luck (and nice Bronco too!).

Thanks. Next time bringing her too, just busted her up a bit offroading (Quad trails) and figuring out what I need at the shop next door, definitely gonna be ready next time. Also sending my friend a mega email of parts and stuff anyway.

Absolutely--that's been my experience and there are no two ways around it. You either need dump a lot of money into modifications and/or cosmetics to attract the attention of those who vote and that's no guarantee.

RJ
And he's fortunate I can help guide him, having built a Mustang, Ram and Audi Prior (not show winners, but more been there/done that/lesson learned)
Sponsored