Sponsored

What's In DFB's Cabinet?

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
choice was again Carpro EliXir, which works brilliantly with the Carpro coating. Door jambs wiped with ECH20, wheels wiped down with NV Boost v1, tyres
Why do you bother to change to different products when any one of them would do the job on all the surfaces? Just because you ca?
Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Why do you bother to change to different products when any one of them would do the job on all the surfaces? Just because you ca?
Yes, because I can. :like:

But.................this is not always the way to do it. Sometimes I end up with compatibility issues, usually with drying aids that contain some form of protection. For example, Carpro Elixir used above can be a bit streaky, but on the Volvo that has a Carpro ceramic coating, it's a breeze to use.

The above is less of an issue with tire dressings, another category that I like to chop and change. Soaps are generally interchangeable too, although some containing gloss enhancers can cause streaking issues on ceramic coatings.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
(I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, D...)

OP: Like many of us, detailing is a passion for him but Deyon has a much more acute case and I think I can speak for many when I say that because of his passion and years of experience, he is a wealth of real-world information. I for one am extremely happy and thankful that he shares his knowledge with the rest of us in the hopes that we will be able to achieve his level of results.

I say sit back and learn, you'll be glad you did.

Bulutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
(I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds, D...)

OP: Like many of us, detailing is a passion for him but Deyon has a much more acute case and I think I can speak for many when I say that because of his passion and years of experience, he is a wealth of real-world information. I for one am extremely happy and thankful that he shares his knowledge with the rest of us in the hopes that we will be able to achieve his level of results.

I say sit back and learn, you'll be glad you did.
You may have misunderstood me. I was not criticising, only questioning as all the products he used, to my mind, are effectively quick detailers and I have found them interchangeable with virtually no noticeable difference in the results.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
You may have misunderstood me. I was not criticising, only questioning as all the products he used, to my mind, are effectively quick detailers and I have found them interchangeable with virtually no noticeable difference in the results.
All good at this end. :like:

The problem I have is that I like so many products, so I need to find uses for them where I can.

For example, I don't love Boost v1 on paint, but I do like it on wheels because of that particular products ability to be removed with soap at the next wash, which NV says takes dirt with it. On wheels, that is helping maintain the coating, but also helping shed brake dust.

The ECH20 is another fantastic product, one that smells too good not to use. I don't like it as a rinse-less wash, but as a waterless wash its ideal for wiping down door jambs and engine bays. On paint, I find it a touch streaky. That would be the wax in the formula.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Feeling pretty exhausted after a busy week, it was a day for tinkering.

The Ranger was covered in road grime after rain last week, but I just didn't want to get everything out for a full bucket wash. Instead, I foamed the car with Gtechniq W4 and allowed it soak while I prepped for a rinse-less wash.

IMG-1436.jpg

IMG-1441.jpg

After a thorough rinse, I moved into the garage and used DIY Rinse-less Wash to finish off. The car was then dried with the assistance of DIY Ceramic Gloss. This is a great combo, not as slick and glossy as P&S Absolute/Bead Maker, but satisfying nonetheless.

I then wiped down the tray using a beater towel soaked with the rinse-less solution, the wheels and door jambs wiped down with ECH20. The interior was wiped with DIY Interior Clean and Protect, windows with Invisible Glass. Tyres dressed with OG Tire Dressing, my current favorite.

I also didn't have the energy to address the old man's filthy Wildtrak, which was covered in dust, road grime and bugs from driving all over Victoria in the last two weeks. The perfect candidate to further experiment with Bilt Hamber Touchless.

BILT HAMBER TOUCH-LESS 5 LITER SNOW FOAM PRE WASH TOUCH LESS - 5L – The Detail Store
Touch-Less - Bilt Hamber

I've had a rocky start with Touchless, to the point where I've been hesitant to use it. My initial usages were not successful, which was a source of frustration. I then realized the 10 LPM (2.65 GPM) flow rate of my pressure washer was overdiluting the chemical. I have since had better results from using it neat in the foam cannon bottle, which dilutes just enough without compromising it's "touchless" ability.

IMG-9959.jpg

In this case, it was rather remarkable how effective Touchless was in removing the majority of crap from the car. Yes, it would've benefited from a follow up contact wash, but that wasn't the aim today. I simply wanted to see what I would get from a simple foam, rinse and blow dry. The result buys the car another week before getting a more thorough clean.

Speaking of foam cannons, I am so far liking these newly updated MTM PF22.2's. The repurposed Kwazar weighted filter is also working very well, helping the cannon to continue drawing soap no matter the fluid level or bottle angle.

IMG-1448.jpg

Unrelated to detailing, I also had to replace one of the plastic hinges on the garage door. These things have a habit of snapping and causing noisy operation. Each hinge is numbered, so you need to have the correspondingly numbered hinge. I had one in stock, but not the number 2 I needed. So, I ordered one of each number to have in stock. Replaced, its working much nicer now.

https://wholesalegaragedoors.com.au/product/steel-line-nylon-hinge-2-for-garage-door/

I also got onto greasing the gearboxes on my line and hedge trimmers. For some reason, while I seem to remember to change the oil and clean out the air filters on my lawn mowers, I always forget to re-grease these things. The handy thing with the Stihl grease is that the tube will screw into the filler plug thread, allowing you to inject grease into the gearbox without making a mess.
(Not my image/video)

https://www.stihl.com.au/en/ap/heavy-duty-gear-lubricant-1068

sgl101.jpg

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
After a thorough rinse, I moved into the garage and used DIY Rinse-less Wash to finish off. The car was then dried with the assistance of DIY Ceramic Gloss. This is a great combo, not as slick and glossy as P&S Absolute/Bead Maker, but satisfying nonetheless.
I must say DIY products are becoming my favorite. I have their Rinseless and the incredible suds. I really like both. I did my Mustang with the rinse less this past weekend. Smells fantastic, cleans really well, is slick on the paint (not quite as slick as Atsolute but still great), overall a solid product. Also if you mix it kinda strong in a IK Foamer, it does foam nicely for a great pre soak..

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I must say DIY products are becoming my favorite. I have their Rinseless and the incredible suds. I really like both. I did my Mustang with the rinse less this past weekend. Smells fantastic, cleans really well, is slick on the paint (not quite as slick as Atsolute but still great), overall a solid product. Also if you mix it kinda strong in a IK Foamer, it does foam nicely for a great pre soak..
Yvan seems to know his stuff that’s for sure. They just released a DA and rotary polisher too. Car Supplies Warehouse did a video with him and his polishers on YouTube the other day. Look like some good entry level polishers. I might have to check out some of the DIY products

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Yvan seems to know his stuff that’s for sure. They just released a DA and rotary polisher too. Car Supplies Warehouse did a video with him and his polishers on YouTube the other day. Look like some good entry level polishers. I might have to check out some of the DIY products
I've only got the soap and Rinseless so far but both are great. Next time I need a spray and rinse gonna get some quick beads. Iron remover looks really nice too since it has surfactant and makes suds when using a clay towel. Probably won't get anything else since I'm really happy with what I have.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I've only got the soap and Rinseless so far but both are great. Next time I need a spray and rinse gonna get some quick beads. Iron remover looks really nice too since it has surfactant and makes suds when using a clay towel. Probably won't get anything else since I'm really happy with what I have.
The DIY products are not groundbreaking, but they WORK! In some ways, they are cutting out some of the pomp that circles the industry, which is refreshing. I also like the Yvan is bringing some well-earned knowledge to the table, even if some of his methods are better suited to production style detailing.

When I'm assessing what to buy from a new brand, I typically chose products that are most different to what I already have, as well as products that are in categories that tend to offer more variation such as soaps and rinse-less washes. For example, I have don't multiple different APC's in my cabinet, I've also found most bug and iron removers are mostly the same. So I settled on the following from DIY..........................

IMG-8046.jpg

Incredible Suds is such a nice product with excellent slickness, ultra foaming ability and one of the easiest rinsing soaps I have found. I just wish it wasn't so expensive, a gallon costs $179.95, considerably more than Carpro Reset. With the number of soaps I try, the biggest compliment I can make to a soap is if I re-order it, which I have done multiple times with Incredible Suds now.

IMG-8143.jpg

IMG-8147.jpg

Their Rinse-less Wash is not my favorite in this category, but I do like using it. The apple scent is a little unique, and it cleans well. This is a surfactant-based rinse-less, so it can foam up a little under agitation or via a pump action foamer. Overall, I prefer the feel of a polymer rinse-less, but this is a worthy alternative to N-914.

IMG-8474.jpg

IMG-8479.jpg

Ceramic Gloss I like to use in tandem with the rinse-less wash, which tends to lack that slickness after use. Used as a drying aid after a rinse-less wash, these two are great partners. Again, a unique apply scent. If you are looking at their rinse-less wash, I would be adding Ceramic Gloss to the order as well.

IMG-8148.jpg

The tire dressing? It's ok, but not a favorite or one that I look forward to using. It does spread nicely and looks ok, but not a must-have in my opinion.

IMG-8169.jpg

Interior Clean & Protect has become a favorite. I use this as a interior quick detailer, but it can do some decent cleaning if teamed with a brush. Again, the apple scent is quite refreshing when compared to myriad of lemon scented interior products. The "protect" element is also quite subtle, so it won't shine up your interior. Another DIY product that I would re-order.

IMG-8089.jpg

DIY have added some extra products to the lineup since I bought the above. The coatings don't interest me, or the polisher. I do like the concept of the spray polishing system, which was influenced from Yvan's time at Optimum. Their new water-less wash sounds promising.

I wouldn't bother with the water spot remover, All Clean APC (Green Star has me covered and I don't use a lot of APC), Quick Beads (waaaay to expensive here, almost 3 times Gyeon Wet Coat), Interior Ceramic (I just don't need that sort of thing), the glass cleaner (tried to many duds to bother deviating from what I know works), Panel Prep (Eraser and Gyeon Prep are so hard to beat), Tree Sap Remover (have enough of that to fill this role). The surfactant iron remover sounds promising, but I don't usually combine the iron and clay processes.

Sponsored
OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
The DIY products are not groundbreaking, but they WORK! In some ways, they are cutting out some of the pomp that circles the industry, which is refreshing. I also like the Yvan is bringing some well-earned knowledge to the table, even if some of his methods are better suited to production style detailing.

When I'm assessing what to buy from a new brand, I typically chose products that are most different to what I already have, as well as products that are in categories that tend to offer more variation such as soaps and rinse-less washes. For example, I have don't multiple different APC's in my cabinet, I've also found most bug and iron removers are mostly the same. So I settled on the following from DIY..........................

IMG-8046.jpg

Incredible Suds is such a nice product with excellent slickness, ultra foaming ability and one of the easiest rinsing soaps I have found. I just wish it wasn't so expensive, a gallon costs $179.95, considerably more than Carpro Reset. With the number of soaps I try, the biggest compliment I can make to a soap is if I re-order it, which I have done multiple times with Incredible Suds now.

IMG-8143.jpg

IMG-8147.jpg

Their Rinse-less Wash is not my favorite in this category, but I do like using it. The apple scent is a little unique, and it cleans well. This is a surfactant-based rinse-less, so it can foam up a little under agitation or via a pump action foamer. Overall, I prefer the feel of a polymer rinse-less, but this is a worthy alternative to N-914.

IMG-8474.jpg

IMG-8479.jpg

Ceramic Gloss I like to use in tandem with the rinse-less wash, which tends to lack that slickness after use. Used as a drying aid after a rinse-less wash, these two are great partners. Again, a unique apply scent. If you are looking at their rinse-less wash, I would be adding Ceramic Gloss to the order as well.

IMG-8148.jpg

The tire dressing? It's ok, but not a favorite or one that I look forward to using. It does spread nicely and looks ok, but not a must-have in my opinion.

IMG-8169.jpg

Interior Clean & Protect has become a favorite. I use this as a interior quick detailer, but it can do some decent cleaning if teamed with a brush. Again, the apple scent is quite refreshing when compared to myriad of lemon scented interior products. The "protect" element is also quite subtle, so it won't shine up your interior. Another DIY product that I would re-order.

IMG-8089.jpg

DIY have added some extra products to the lineup since I bought the above. The coatings don't interest me, or the polisher. I do like the concept of the spray polishing system, which was influenced from Yvan's time at Optimum. Their new water-less wash sounds promising.

I wouldn't bother with the water spot remover, All Clean APC (Green Star has me covered and I don't use a lot of APC), Quick Beads (waaaay to expensive here, almost 3 times Gyeon Wet Coat), Interior Ceramic (I just don't need that sort of thing), the glass cleaner (tried to many duds to bother deviating from what I know works), Panel Prep (Eraser and Gyeon Prep are so hard to beat), Tree Sap Remover (have enough of that to fill this role). The surfactant iron remover sounds promising, but I don't usually combine the iron and clay processes.
I definitely agree with this, I'm not going to replace what I know works, but his no nonsense approach is refreshing.

That said, I have tried the waterless wash. It's decent, smells great too, grape like the incredible suds.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I also had to replace one of the plastic hinges on the garage door.
Plastic hinges? Never heard of such a thing, D, and I've certainly never seen a door with them. Aside from the breaking with age, are they quieter than the metal versions?

The handy thing with the Stihl grease is that the tube will screw into the filler plug thread
I have all Echo gear, the trimmer has the same grease plug, and Echo sells a tube of grease just like in the Stihl video BUT, they didn't make the tip a metal thread so you have to REALLY hold it firmly against the hole to get the grease to fill in the space. Great idea, Stihl.

Probably won't get anything else since I'm really happy with what I have.
I definitely agree with this, I'm not going to replace what I know works, but his no nonsense approach is refreshing.
I don't have D's patience for detailed testing of products, Alex, (not to mention I don't have the SPACE required to house a ton of them. <grin>) Consequently, I listen to everyone's experiences then choose a product that has proven to be effective and useful. Once found, I stick with it because I've learned that the old addage is true.."Better is the enemy of good enough" and I totally agree, D's approach is most refreshing and extremely helpful! <BSEG>

..tried to many duds to bother deviating from what I know works
Amen, brother.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Plastic hinges? Never heard of such a thing, D, and I've certainly never seen a door with them. Aside from the breaking with age, are they quieter than the metal versions?
The door would be about 18 years old, I've replaced a few of them now. Just age and the fact that radiant heat from the afternoon sun belting against the door would contribute. Plastic and metal hinges are offered, mine has the plastic, which I assume is cost control.

Sponsored