H1N1 swine flu Pandemic

Current numbers for regular yearly flu for 2019:
36-51 million infected
370-670K hospitalizations
22,000-55,000 deaths

Current numbers on coronavirus for US:
3000 infected
61 deaths
Please, please read something, anything about pandemics. None of what you have written is pertinent in regards to COVID-19. It has the potential, yes I said potential, to make H1N1 look like the sniffles. I want the experts to be as wrong as anyone but every single one of them says this is going to get worse before it gets better. If people keep mingling it is going to get worse and take longer to subside.
Sponsored

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
Yes, there is a flu vaccine, but it does not cover all strains of the flu.

I, too, am in a high risk group. Age and underlying disease process of my heart. I'm not ignorant. I'm an RN. But, I use common sense. Regular hand washing and careful about touching my face with dirty hands. I have made this habit for many years. There are always a lot of nasty bugs out there. Not just now, but always. Who knows what's next.

If I'm not posting here in a couple of months, well, I guess the 19 got me :)

OP
OP
Bikeman315

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Yeah. Honestly, better chance be in car wreck than this impact myself or anyone around me. Not going to put any effort towards the fear.
Donald, it is not fear, it is logic and common sense. This is not about you getting sick. It is about getting others sick. Think about your parents, relatives, friends, co-workers. If someone in a bar gives the virus to you everyone you make contact with could die. Hyperbole, tell that to the folks that are already dead.

I think it would be best to get past the analogies at this point. They are pointless. This is real. Anyone can get it and then pass it along. I certainly hope that it does not happen to someone you love.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I don’t take it as know it alls. I think a lot of us live our lives in a constant state of yellow and aren’t wreck less with our daily habits regardless of what is going on around us.

I'm glad there's so many self-degreed epidemiologists on Mustang6g that know all!
/s

This is seriously showing how uninformed and stupid people are, and thousands of people are going to die because of it. Overloading our hospitals is a really bad thing, and you're going to make sure it happens, just like in Italy.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t take it as know it alls. I think a lot of us live our lives in a constant state of yellow and aren’t wreck less with our daily habits regardless of what is going on around us.
It's not about being reckless. READ.

Many people are asymptomatic or have very light symptoms and will be carriers and can infect 3-4+ people easily without even knowing it. Add to that, the huge influx of people with moderate or severe symptoms into the hospital system is going to affect people who are there with other ailments. They're literally choosing who lives and dies in Italy. Our hospitals are just as poorly prepared.

Sponsored

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
Yes, there is a flu vaccine, but it does not cover all strains of the flu.

I, too, am in a high risk group. Age and underlying disease process of my heart. I'm not ignorant. I'm an RN. But, I use common sense. Regular hand washing and careful about touching my face with dirty hands. I have made this habit for many years. There are always a lot of nasty bugs out there. Not just now, but always. Who knows what's next.

If I'm not posting here in a couple of months, well, I guess the 19 got me :)
There are a lot of people that don't possess common sense nor care if the situation does not impact them. During WWII, we as Americans gave up a lot for the war effort for 4 years. What we are asking now is for several months to protect our citizens and this country. (Student of History) Reminds me when we entered the war, many large NE cities on the Atlantic seaboard refused to turn off there lights. This created silhouette backdrop for the ships and the German U-Boats had a field day until we turned the lights off...........same analogy, of over reaction and why should I do this as it does not impact me.

Summing this up, there is no second place or follow-up plan. I'd rather look back at this having done everything we can and put this behind us The alternative is potential collapse of economic systems and normal society order as we know it.

Not a nay sayor nor conspiracy theorist. Just part of what I do reviewing all options and being pro-actively prepared.

Last edited:

Hadelson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hugo
Vehicle(s)
19 Roush RS3 P2, 6 speed; Lots of suspension work
It's not about being reckless. READ.

Many people are asymptomatic or have very light symptoms and will be carriers and can infect 3-4+ people easily without even knowing it. Add to that, the huge influx of people with moderate or severe symptoms into the hospital system is going to affect people who are there with other ailments. They're literally choosing who lives and dies in Italy. Our hospitals are just as poorly prepared.
Exactly and why its a Pandemic. But hell, doesn't affect me nor do I care if I become a carrier affecting others. Adding this note of sarcasm due to statement from others on this thread.

Last edited:

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
He supports a 14 day lock down but not closing restaurants. I’m sorry, he just went both ways. His “opinion” is ....... The MSM has constantly pushed one disaster or another for the last several years. This is no different. That is not to say to act like an arse and purposely put yourself or family in harms way. And for the record, my better half had a positive patient today. They are properly prepared and protected. The reality is in her profession she deals with much worse then this on a regular basis.
Yes, he has gone both ways but i was merely pointing out that even someone in the federal administration is saying its important to have as much isolation as possible. I give him credit, he's the one guy who has actually seemingly spoken up against Trump, early this week (or was it last week) he was the one who instantly said "someone needs to point out to the president that a vaccine takes a year at minimum to develop not 30 days /

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
My better half spent the day dealing with patients, including positive covid. I’m very aware of what is going on and how they are prepared for it here.

QUOTE="BmacIL, post: 2835318, member: 10281"]It's not about being reckless. READ.

Many people are asymptomatic or have very light symptoms and will be carriers and can infect 3-4+ people easily without even knowing it. Add to that, the huge influx of people with moderate or severe symptoms into the hospital system is going to affect people who are there with other ailments. They're literally choosing who lives and dies in Italy. Our hospitals are just as poorly prepared.[/QUOTE]

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I can’t argue with that. The CDC should have been better prepared for this. Should of been full tilt when it first started.

Yes, he has gone both ways but i was merely pointing out that even someone in the federal administration is saying its important to have as much isolation as possible. I give him credit, he's the one guy who has actually seemingly spoken up against Trump, early this week (or was it last week) he was the one who instantly said "someone needs to point out to the president that a vaccine takes a year at minimum to develop not 30 days /

Sponsored

Stone pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT/CS
This has been a interesting read....
I'm some what surprised at some of the comments, but then again not, as we live in a me society. Of the people, by the people and FOR the people is long gone I guess in government and private society.
That being said, I'm wondering why so many who don't like the government telling us what to do are waiting on the government to tell us what to do. For the love of humanity have some common sense and a little concern for others. If someone can't miss a little work, most likely your living beyond your means. If you have to go out and eat you need to learn to cook. Think you get my point. A wise native American lady recently told me,
"People around here don't mind being stupid." Guess we all can fit in that at some time or another. This current virus being worse or not, who knows but why take a chance. It is killing people, we won't know till we can look back how many it will be, but any is to many if people don't do their part to help keep it to a minimum.