What are the chances...

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
...that with the re-org going on at Ford and the fact that the GT500 is looking to be DCT only (not starting a debate, that's just my understanding - if it's not DCT only, that will render most of this conversation moot)...that the GT350 will be the last great specialty V8 manual from Ford?

The reason I ask - I've been loosely trying to sell the R...except every time I drive it, I realize that I'm crazy... but I'd hate to sell it a year before we learn there will be no more specialty Fords - which seems like a real possibility with the current mindset.
Sponsored

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I think people have always had trouble pinning down when the last of something great will have occurred in a car company. The V8 has been an iconic part of the Mustang, so I suspect the V8 itself still has some life left in the Mustang, but yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the Voodoo ends up being the first and maybe last high revving NA V8 from Ford. We're now years past the point where BMW and Ferrari resorted to turbocharging smaller engines, and it only makes sense that Ford will follow in the same direction.

The manual transmissions I suspect will remain longer, as the American car companies know that many enthusiasts prefer them and see them as a simple lure. The other sports car companies are still producing manuals, like BMW and Porsche, so I don't expect Ford to stop doing so before them. Given that most of the transmission is really provided by an outside manufacturer for car companies, it would seem the work needed to equip them in cars is minimal compared to a car company designing and producing an engine. So although the Voodoo may be the last or one of the last high revving NA V8's from Ford, I think the manual will stick around longer.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Why are owners of anything nice in a hurry to sell? Car came out 3 years ago and the sky is falling, better sell before you lose your ass! Actually better sell the car for the next guy to enjoy. LOL

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
...that with the re-org going on at Ford and the fact that the GT500 is looking to be DCT only (not starting a debate, that's just my understanding - if it's not DCT only, that will render most of this conversation moot)...that the GT350 will be the last great specialty V8 manual from Ford?

The reason I ask - I've been loosely trying to sell the R...except every time I drive it, I realize that I'm crazy... but I'd hate to sell it a year before we learn there will be no more specialty Fords - which seems like a real possibility with the current mindset.
I told you that you were nuts. Even more so than me for owning 2 of them.

However that's a different kind of nuts. There are some who are nuts and don't even have one (yet)

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
We're dinosaurs headed for extinction. If your heart doesn't want you to let it go then don't. As for the transmission choices Ford is making I don't think it matters as it won't be long and everything will be electric or hybrid very soon anyway and non-autonomous, gasoline-only powered cars will be targeted via legislation and the insurance industry to in essence, remove them from cities and eventually, everywhere.

Sponsored

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
Some of us are old enough to remember the 1970’s:
- Gas prices increasing; OPEC running amuck; (Mid-East a mess)
- Insurance increasing
- Environmental issues need to be addressed (can’t see the LA basin; lead poisoning everywhere, and the Ozone layer disappearing)
- Automobile manufacturers trying to stay in business (exit racing, stop making performance cars, etc.)
Over the following decades we figured out how to reduce emissions to make our cities livable again; Ozone layer is coming back nicely). And Performance levels are now amazing!

However, another storm’s approaching...enjoy what you have before its gone.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Why are owners of anything nice in a hurry to sell? Car came out 3 years ago and the sky is falling, better sell before you lose your ass! Actually better sell the car for the next guy to enjoy. LOL
You are making your own assumptions and then lumping everyone into that one basket.

In my case (not that I need to explain it to anyone, but as enthusiasts, I'm sure most will empathize), I just want to experience a bunch of different cars. I did think this one would lock it in for a while...and it's unbelievable...but it seems like my threshold is about 2 years...I've tried and tried but I end up selling and trying something else. I've regretted selling....and I've been happy with the next car, too. Goes both ways.

That said - as I mentioned, I'm having trouble with the idea of letting this out go ;)

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
I thought the dct only rumor was put to rest already...could be wrong, but I remember throwing a tantrum, then being fine after reading a few more posts from people who seem to know shit.

I might’ve cried the day i heard it, I’ll never tell.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Tough decision.

Guess it's the nostalgic combo Ford got right with the GT350. NA, FPC, manual, V8...all in one package.

Sunday morning ramblings...
The FPC disappered in the 50s, with a few (elite) exceptions, and Ford brought it back (and placed it where it had never been).

Manual transmissions used to be "standard", now they are the exception--but where there is demand, there is supply. One way to increase future demand is to discontinue manuals...for a few years...Difficult to use European models as a comparison, because automatics are still the exception. Some people actually complain about "not knowing how to drive an automatic".

V8s (or V10s...V12s) and gasoline engines are another story. Not a matter of if, but no way to really know when...

Bellbottoms, skinny ties, miniskirts, FPCs...some things are unique and special each time they come and go, though a few never return.

Sure wish I had kept that Stanley Steamer...

[ame]

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Yes, it's called the GT500.
I was thinking something more like the POS Farrah Fawcet drove around back in 1975, with a watered down 5.2, suspension, styling....

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
I was thinking something more like the POS Farrah Fawcet drove around back in 1975, with a watered down 5.2, suspension, styling....
Exactly. I had the same feeling then as the OP does now that I was witnessing the end of an era as I was driving a ‘71 429 CJ Mach1. I thought at the time I owned one of the last dinosaurs headed for extinction.
Sponsored